Rooting interests week 17

CorkScrewHill

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Obviously, we have what we played for all year the right to control our own destiny

The other interest games are fun and you of course route for Kansas City to lose but the only thing that matters is Monday night

Disagree, but I mean you're obviously right. That said, week by week, priority by priority.

The next attainable thing and only thing the bills can get without any help this week is getting the two seed. If the ravens winning helps the bills hedge a loss this week and still get the two seed if the ravens go all in next week to get the division then let's go ravens.

I'm genuinely confused in general how the bills didn't lock up the one seed, because of that loss to the Vikings. I thought losing to an NFC team is supposed to help your playoff seeding...

19 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Agreed, but it'd funny how it works.

If we lose on Monday, we want Ravens to win, so we can be seed 2.

But if we win, we want Bengals to beat Ravens, so we can play Ravens after the bye (if they beat Jags/Titans), and let Bengals/Chiefs fight each other.

If the second scenario happens that would be awesome.  The AFC Road to the SB must go through Orchard Park this year .  Go Bills !

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I'm genuinely confused in general how the bills didn't lock up the one seed, because of that loss to the Vikings. I thought losing to an NFC team is supposed to help your playoff seeding...

The scenario that applies:

• Two AFC teams have same overall record (i.e. 13-4 each)
  • The two AFC teams have not played each other or are division foes and each won once.
  • Both teams have same record against common conference foes (i.e. 4-1 in common foes)
  • One of teams has more losses to AFC teams and other has more losses to NFC teams

The team which lost once more to NFC team has advantage since they have more AFC wins.

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The scenario that applies:

• Two AFC teams have same overall record (i.e. 13-4 each)
  • The two AFC teams have not played each other or are division foes and each won once.
  • Both teams have same record against common conference foes (i.e. 4-1 in common foes)
  • One of teams has more losses to AFC teams and other has more losses to NFC teams

The team which lost once more to NFC team has advantage since they have more AFC wins.

Haha, appreciate the information and definitely helpful for people!

I was more poking fun at whoever it was that a few years ago was claiming it was literally better to have lost to an NFC team than to have beat them in terms of making the playoffs. He was saying the bills were better off having lost than won...funny how last season the bills had such a weak conference record against such an easy strength of schedule and it's flipped this year...one score games I guess?

If the Chiefs have to play with two cupcakes, I'm at least glad they are divisional games. The Broncos and Raiders won't quit against KC.

KC has stumbled a bit at times just like every team.

NE won't roll over for the Bills either

Edited by Tom Donahoe, GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Obviously, we have what we played for all year the right to control our own destiny

The other interest games are fun and you of course route for Kansas City to lose but the only thing that matters is Monday night

I disagree slightly.  There is one game that matters, even if we win out, the KC game.  If we win and KC loses, we lock the 1st seed and can rest people (and not worry about the Pats game).

On 12/29/2022 at 9:35 AM, CorkScrewHill said:

There are three very important games for the Bills and then some that are nice to haves.

1) Bills vs Bengals .. obviously

2) Steelers at Baltimore - need Baltimore to win to make the following weeks game a win for the AFC North title. In the event that  the Bengals beat the Bills this provides the only other way the Bills could hold on to the one seed. Would need a loss by the Chiefs in one of their last two games. Regardless if Baltimore wins out and the Bills win one we are at worst the 2 seed. Basically sets up a reverse scenario of 2017 needing the Ravens to beat the Bengals.

3) Denver at Chiefs .. sigh .. the Chiefs are catching some massive breaks.

other games

4) Jets at Seattle. The Jets D is tough .. I do not want to see them in the playoffs.

5) Dolphins at Patriots. I would like to see the Dolphins in this one as it may give the Pats less reason to put up a fight in the last game … as they would be eliminated from playoff contention

Would be interested in other thoughts on games of importance.

Bolded. Jets have no offense and the Patz are a mess. Miami scares me more because of who is at WR. turning 1 yard passes to 80 yard TD's. I will take Jets over Miami any day.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

If the Chiefs have to play with two cupcakes, I'm at least glad they are divisional games. The Broncos and Raiders won't quit against KC.

KC has stumbled a bit at times just like every team.

NE won't roll over for the Bills either

The Broncos will beat the Chiefs 27-24

• Like (+1) 1

One seed or not, I'm so sick of seeing the cheifs get home field advantage every single year in the playoffs. This is my primary reasoning for wanting the bills to end up the one seed. Personally, I want kc to come to Buffalo in January and get hammered on the road. Better yet, I want kc to lose before the bills even have to play them

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Bolded. Jets have no offense and the Patz are a mess. Miami scares me more because of who is at WR. turning 1 yard passes to 80 yard TD's. I will take Jets over Miami any day.

The Jets defense has played tough against our offense.  They have confused Allen and restricted our offense to 20 or less points in both games. 

While the Dolphins have the knack for bringing on those big plays, their defense has allowed the Bills to score at will. 

The Patriots are in between.

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

The Jets defense has played tough against our offense.  They have confused Allen and restricted our offense to 20 or less points in both games. 

While the Dolphins have the knack for bringing on those big plays, their defense has allowed the Bills to score at will. 

The Patriots are in between.

not that i am personally worried about any afce team in playoffs, Miami still scares me the most.

On 12/30/2022 at 9:02 PM, HardyBoy said:

Disagree, but I mean you're obviously right. That said, week by week, priority by priority.

The next attainable thing and only thing the bills can get without any help this week is getting the two seed. If the ravens winning helps the bills hedge a loss this week and still get the two seed if the ravens go all in next week to get the division then let's go ravens.

I thought it was the other way around?  Beating an NFC team actually hurts our playoff seeding

My overall wishes for this week in priority order:

Bills win at Bengals (obviously)

Broncos win at the Chiefs (miracles can happen, right?)

Dolphins lose at the Patriots (their treatment of Tua is rapidly making me go off the Dolphins. Plus the Pats would be a better match up in the play offs)

Panthers win at the Bucs (do I need to say more?)

Saints win at the Eagles (keep pressure up on the Bucs)

Steelers lose at the Ravens (not sure about this one; depends if the Bengals tighten up any pressure or try even harder if the Ravens are breating down their neck. I suppose, even if the Ravens win, they'll still be after number one seed so...)

Jets lose at the Seahawks (am slightly concerned about the Jets defense in the Play Offs)

Colts lose at the Giants (come on, Daboll!)

Bears lose at Lions (Lions in the Play Offs would be an exciting prospect)

Raiders win at the 49ers (any ***** in the 49ers armour will be gratefully received)

Rams win at the Chargers (as above)

Browns lose at the Commanders (the more Watson loses the better)

Jaguars lose at the Texans (not that it matters as all is on next week)

Vikings lose at the Packers (there's something special about the Packers December record)

Cardinals at Falcons - don't really care

On 12/29/2022 at 9:49 AM, Greg S said:

KC is not losing to the Broncos or Raiders. The only game that matters are Bills games. They are going to have to win these last two for the #1 seed. 

Division games are never easy moreso if the opponent has nothing to lose. KC should win both but wouldn't be shocked if lost one.

• Disagree 1

I'm not thinking about mathematical possibilities at this point. I can't imagine a world where Baltimore beats the Bengals with a back-up QB and the Raiders quarterbacked by Jarrett Stidham beat a motivated Chiefs team.  I think Buffalo has to beat Cincinnati and New England in their last two games if they want a bye and home field.  I'm also not fretting about who Buffalo might face after wild card weekend, should they gain that first round bye.   I think that's getting ahead of ourselves.  Then the playoffs are set, I'll start to think about matchups.

When we beat the Bengals tonight, it's a no brainer. We curb stomp the Pats into 2024 next week and take the 1 seed.

If, IF, we lose tonight, what would you do next weekend? 

3 seed. Rest starters and use as a bye week? Wouldn't we would play Ravens as the 3? 

As a 2 seed, play one of Miami, Jags, Steelers or even possibly the Pats again? Would the Bengals rest their starters as in all likelihood they wouldn't get the 1 seed?

Please correct me if I'm wrong in the above.

But, if correct, I think I'd rather go the 3 seed route.🤔.

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

When we beat the Bengals tonight, it's a no brainer. We curb stomp the Pats into 2024 next week and take the 1 seed.

3 seed. Rest starters and use as a bye week? Wouldn't we would play Ravens as the 3? 

As a 2 seed, play one of Miami, Jags, Steelers or even possibly the Pats again? Would the Bengals rest their starters as in all likelihood they wouldn't get the 1 seed?

Chiefs play Saturday, so if we don’t win tonight, we - and the Bengals - would know if the 1 seed is or is not on the table. 

Normally I’d say that guaranteed second home game if we win on WC Weekend is worth it, but we could really use a bye week…

Tough choice.  I think we’d have to be in the locker room to know how necessary that rest is.   

A potential rematch against Cinci, at home vs on the road isn’t nothing. 

Or, we can take care of business tonight and not worry about what we should do. 

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

If things don’t go the Bills way tonight , I think the choice would be to rest starters barring a surprise Chiefs loss on Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Chiefs play Saturday, so if we don’t win tonight, we - and the Bengals - would know if the 1 seed is or is not on the table. 

Normally I’d say that guaranteed second home game if we win on WC Weekend is worth it, but we could really use a bye week…

Tough choice.  I think we’d have to be in the locker room to know how necessary that rest is.   

A potential rematch against Cinci, at home vs on the road isn’t nothing. 

Or, we can take care of business tonight and not worry about what we should do. 

You want to finish strong.   We can't afford to lose two games in a row to end the season.    I also think the JAX should lose their final game to Titans and then back in to the playoffs as a wild card.  That will put two weak teams in the playoffs.   Baltimore and Chargers are tough match ups for the #3 and #4 seeds. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.