NFL grants YouTube TV exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket rights in the US starting in 2023(deal worth $2B+)

Big Turk

1 hour ago, chongli said:

I am stunned you can get Sunday Ticket without YouTube TV. This is a bad business decision and will cost Alphabet money. When I subscribed to Sunday Ticket in 2005 (so I could view the rise of JP Losman's new empire, lol), you had to get DirecTV. Also, when I was a child in 1983 and wanted to get WrestleMania III pay-per-view like all my friends were (Hogan vs. Andre the Giant), we couldn't, since my family did not have cable TV.

I bet YouTube TV even lets you get a team package for Sunday Ticket, where you can view just one team and save even more money (I am not sure--need to reed the FAQ). How times have changed.

I am guessing they price Sunday ticket just high enough for non-YouTube subscribers that most people will end up switching to YouTube. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chongli said:

I am stunned you can get Sunday Ticket without YouTube TV. This is a bad business decision and will cost Alphabet money. When I subscribed to Sunday Ticket in 2005 (so I could view the rise of JP Losman's new empire, lol), you had to get DirecTV. Also, when I was a child in 1983 and wanted to get WrestleMania III pay-per-view like all my friends were (Hogan vs. Andre the Giant), we couldn't, since my family did not have cable TV.

I bet YouTube TV even lets you get a team package for Sunday Ticket, where you can view just one team and save even more money (I am not sure--need to reed the FAQ). How times have changed.

It's looking like YouTube TV subscribers will get a discount on it, which will be an incentive for people to sign up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chongli said:

I am stunned you can get Sunday Ticket without YouTube TV. This is a bad business decision and will cost Alphabet money

They will have many more customers the way they are doing it.   What is better 10 customers paying $10 each or 3 paying $25 each?  Pretty sure they are thinking it through.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Already a YTV subscriber. Would love to know what the price will be.

I've always tried to rationalize ST by looking at the weekly cost.  What would it cost me to go out to a bar to find the game, and sit there for three hours eating and drinking?  $20/week is a bargain, which would put the cost at $340.  I think subscribers will get it cheaper than that.  Just a hunch.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, nucci said:

you're just speculating and until this happens I'll enjoy the savings and more channels for less cost...not paying extra fees for genie and dvr, extra fees just for hooking up a TV.

It’s not speculation…it’s a safe bet.

must like streaming fees go up.  It’s all about profit margins.

it stabilizes innthe market between cable and streaming of a rate everyone offers…it’s ECON 101

Just now, djp14150 said:

It’s not speculation…it’s a safe bet.

must like streaming fees go up.  It’s all about profit margins.

it stabilizes innthe market between cable and streaming of a rate everyone offers…it’s ECON 101

I never got past ECON 100

4 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Oh, you mean like cable already does their cable boxes and each additional one you need?  With the base plan, YouTube TV give you 3 concurrent streams.  That would cost you like $30 bucks extra on cable with paying for boxes.

Espn+ and Disney+ aren't free for cable subscribers either, so I don't know why you're trying to make it sound like those fees apply to only cord cutters.

And I would love to for you to provide a cable service that's currently cheaper than YouTube TV and has a comparable number of channels.

Not to mention, like there's an extra $20 bucks tacked onto your cable bill in taxes and fees that aren't even metioned in what they tell you cable package costs.  If your package is $100 bucks, what you're really paying is close to $120 to $125 with all the fees.

Not to mention you get YouTube music included with that.

for now….is it in the contract that’s not going to change?

youtubr has to negotiate with the channels just like cable does on rates.  Those changing will affect the price.  Or they become add on packages just like tiered cable vs a basic streaming plan

you don’t believe this I have got stuff to sell you….

43 minutes ago, eball said:

I've always tried to rationalize ST by looking at the weekly cost.  What would it cost me to go out to a bar to find the game, and sit there for three hours eating and drinking?  $20/week is a bargain, which would put the cost at $340.  I think subscribers will get it cheaper than that.  Just a hunch.

thrn you factor in national TV games. If Buffalo is good you probably will get to see half the games on local TV. 4-5 on national prime time. 2-3 in 425 slot which likely is a national primary game, then a few other lead 1 pm game. Next yr the London game at 930 start can be an extra one

11 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

youtubr has to negotiate with the channels just like cable does on rates.  Those changing will affect the price.  Or they become add on packages just like tiered cable vs a basic streaming plan

which will also affect cable and satellite services and increase their prices. The difference is youtube can be less expensive because there is no installation or equipment involved.

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

I never got past ECON 100

Prices will go up because of

1. profit margins

2. Station rates to broadcast on cable/ streaming like espn charges the highest per subscriber rate. WB/ discovery can charge a lot to carry all its stations where YouTube/ cable can’t pick and choose.

3. these extra stationscould just say no to youtubr and do streaming only. Youtubr loses customers which causes the prices to increase.

I finally dumped my longtime DIRECTV service, now have Fios since i bundled it with internet.  I use Fios internet for work so i get some reimbursement which is nice.  Hoping to continue with Sunday Ticket through Youtube and whatever ala carte thing i can buy to allow me to view the NFL/Bills games.  

1 minute ago, nucci said:

which will also affect cable and satellite services and increase their prices. The difference is youtube can be less expensive because there is no installation or equipment involved.

maybe/ maybe not…early streamers might have gotten a lower  customer rate as a startup so right now they are paying half what Comcast/ cable pays.  Within a year thise rates increase to what v able is paying.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Who needs MSG?  Most of the Sabres games are now on ESPN+.

ESPN+ is blacked out in the Buffalo home viewing area.  i am betting that these regional sports networks will get into streaming packages.

I got 2 brothers in Buffalo waiting for that to happen to go full streaming mode.

General Streaming content comments:

I give my buddy Sling Blue TV and gives me Netflix, Disney/Hulu/ESPN+, HBO Max, Paramount+.  It's pretty much a wash cost wise for us.

My TV cost is $45 a month (I add Orange for regular ESPN during football).  I will have to get the NFL package that I was getting at a student discount,

but I can live with that.

Just a tip for those who don't know about Kanopy and Hoopla.  They are free (without commercial) streaming services for anyone who

has a library card.  Some good movies/documentaries/classes that you get so many "checkouts" per month.

Lots of movies on there that you have to rent from other streaming services.

IF IT"S FREE, IT"S FOR ME!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

You have to look at the taxes and fees these companies charge you above and beyond what they tell you your plan costs.

My most recent Youtube TV bill, the taxes were $5.38.

My last cable bill before dropping cable, there's a broadcast TV fee, which was $19.35, an Regional Sports fee, which was $9.10, and finally tax, which was another $10.25 and I had no additional boxes, which they charge you like another $10 bucks each/month.

So that's another almost $40 bucks/month on top of what they tell you your plan costs.  Ridiculous.

With YouTube TV, you're just paying the tax.

Agree, the cost for the boxes and all these extra fees was what made it crazy high..  Plus DTV would always jack the prices way up once the initial discounts expired.  It was crazy.  I recall when I finally dumped DTV, my discounts had expired and the price was going to like double.  I called them up and they maybe offered me like $10 off total.  So dumped them, 2 weeks later they offered me a price much cheaper than what I was even asking them to give me.  But then was too late, had already went elsewhere.

5 hours ago, chongli said:

They will still get maybe $300 from each person for ST.  There still are many with cable, other streaming services, etc that don't want to give up what they already have.  If they required you to also have You Tube TV or make it too pricey, these people may not bother subscribing to ST.  Instead they'll do what many folks do and use the illegal downloads.  Can't recall how many times I'd see someone post here, they'd gladly pay for ST if it didn't require them to also subscribe to DTV for another $1500 a year or so and this was when Cable still cost around $75 a month.

If you Tube can just convert even half the illegal streamers to their product, they'll be well ahead.

And don't anyone post that you could get ST without DTV if you had an eligible address.  I tried many addresses, even used my mothers address from when she was in a nursing home and that came back as ineligible.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Yes but You Tube didn't have to pay to lay the fiber down your street, or maintain.  Or send someone out to your house to fix and issue or first time start up.  While it can take some time and pressing about ten different prompts, you can talk with someone at the cable company or even DTV.  If anything the internet providers will keep raising the prices and they have more of a monopoly on you.  Whereas there are so many streaming service to choose from will help keep prices in check

Has anyone ever spoken to someone at You Tube?  And frankly very little of anything to talk with them about.

So yes, You Tube TV will go up in price in fact they just did, but won't need to raise prices as much as cable does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes but You Tube didn't have to pay to lay the fiber down your street, or maintain.  Or send someone out to your house to fix and issue or first time start up.  While it can take some time and pressing about ten different prompts, you can talk with someone at the cable company or even DTV.  If anything the internet providers will keep raising the prices and they have more of a monopoly on you.  Whereas there are so many streaming service to choose from will help keep prices in check

Has anyone ever spoken to someone at You Tube?  And frankly very little of anything to talk with them about.

So yes, You Tube TV will go up in price in fact they just did, but won't need to raise prices as much as cable does.

you do realizeyoutube  is owned by Google. Google lays down fiber optic lines.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They will still get maybe $300 from each person for ST.  There still are many with cable, other streaming services, etc that don't want to give up what they already have.  If they required you to also have You Tube TV or make it too pricey, these people may not bother subscribing to ST.  Instead they'll do what many folks do and use the illegal downloads.  Can't recall how many times I'd see someone post here, they'd gladly pay for ST if it didn't require them to also subscribe to DTV for another $1500 a year or so and this was when Cable still cost around $75 a month.

If you Tube can just convert even half the illegal streamers to their product, they'll be well ahead.

And don't anyone post that you could get ST without DTV if you had an eligible address.  I tried many addresses, even used my mothers address from when she was in a nursing home and that came back as ineligible.

A very thorough explanation! I am not sure DTV never let you get just Sunday Ticket. They would have made more money of tried the YouTube TV idea (but they would have needed some location to drop off the receiver or given you a prepaid label to mail it back. they could just leave the dish installed since people would use that for the next season too). 

3 hours ago, djp14150 said:

If cable is already significantly more expensive, that doesn't make sense because cable has raised rates even more and has more tacked on fees, so YouTube TV should still be a much better bargain for the foreseeable future.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.