MVP; Hurts / Allen / Mahomes by the numbers...

Inigo Montoya

I think many fans, media, etc don't take Hurts completely serious as a QB as with him it's mostly about his running more than passing, same with Jackson.  I also think many people around still view Mahomes as the best QB in the league, mainly because of some of the games he's won and some of his crazy type passes that he completes.

But overall do think Allen is the most exciting as he can make passes and runs no one else is able to do.

8 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I took "big" in the sense of MVP narrative.  If Minshew plays an effective game and the Eagles win comfortably over one of the toughest opponents on their schedule, one might assume that it might diminish the Hurts' MVP scenario.  I am not sure I buy that reasoning but I could see some thinking that way.

Depends HOW they win big. If Dak throws multiple picks and they give Minshew (who is a decent QB) a short field it won’t be that impressive..  but I see what you mean… I just think it take Hurts falling apart at this point to lose MVP. Mind you I think the Eagles lose to the 49ers in the championship game. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I took "big" in the sense of MVP narrative.  If Minshew plays an effective game and the Eagles win comfortably over one of the toughest opponents on their schedule, one might assume that it might diminish the Hurts' MVP scenario.  I am not sure I buy that reasoning but I could see some thinking that way.

Dallas is playing for pride and little else as they will be the #1 WC team.  Philly doesn't want injuries.  Wouldn't put too much stock in the QBs this game.

Allen is a long shot, but who cares Buffalo fans know who they have.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:33 PM, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Its Mahomes award to lose at this point. Best numbers and tied for number 1 seed. Plus Hurts has played an easy schedule on a superior team. Mahomes easy at this point. I'd love to see Josh turn it around in last 3 weeks.

The Bills are the #1 seed as they beat the Chiefs.  The Chiefs have to finish with a better record for that to happen so not tied brother.  They have the easier path to finish with three final wins.  We should manage the Bears and Cheats, but our #1 seed is down to us beating the Bengals.

• Agree 1

If the bills get the one seed and Allen keeps turnovers down over the final three and he beats Burrow and has reasonable numbers he will be in the conversation.   Stats will likely look a little better for mahomes but you can point to Allen beat mahomes.  Hurts will also be in the conversation but if he misses time that will go against him some.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

If that’s the case then Hurts is beating out both of them. The fact is Hurts is the front runner and has been for awhile. He is the media darling right now and they decide the winner so unless something odd happens he is winning the  MVP.

He has a case but he's not the run away winner. He trails in total yards and total TD's. He's 4th in both, he's not even second or third. 

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Mahomes- Not MVP, I would like to see him without Kelcey

Why would you say that? Should we see Allen without Diggs?

And Mahomes and Allen probably have double the highlights of Hurts. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Depends HOW they win big. If Dak throws multiple picks and they give Minshew (who is a decent QB) a short field it won’t be that impressive..  but I see what you mean… I just think it

take Hurts falling apart at this point to lose MVP. Mind you I think the Eagles lose to the 49ers in the championship game. 

I think it also depends on how much time he misses. If he misses just one game he has a good chance of winning still. He was the heavy favorite before is injury. Vegas might be thinking he misses two games. I see him sitting out the next two and coming back week 18. Maybe he only plays a half week 18. That could hurt his chances quite a bit as by that point Allen, Mahomes and Burrow will have total yardage and total TD numbers that would dwarf his. 

28 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I predict hurts wins.  Probably deserves it, Mahonnes already won, and people want to give the award to running qbs now, like Lamar.

allen blew his chances with that stretch of picks (2 of which cost us the Jets game) and fumbling the game away v the Vikings.

Allen and the Bills didn't blow anything though if at the end of the season they finish with the #1 seed. It all comes down to the Bengals game. The turnover slump against the Jets and Vikings could end up completely meaningless. Throw in Hurts possibly missing two games and Allen could have clearly better numbers than the other QB with the #1 seed.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

51 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I predict hurts wins.  Probably deserves it, Mahonnes already won, and people want to give the award to running qbs now, like Lamar.

allen blew his chances with that stretch of picks (2 of which cost us the Jets game) and fumbling the game away v the Vikings.

Yeah, let’s see how hurts handles this injury

Since it sounds like Hurts won't be playing against the Cowboys on Saturday, if Gardner Minshew leads the Eagles in and beats Dallas, there's no way Hurts should win the MVP.  I don't care how overrated anyone may think the Cowboys are.  Hurts has been great but if Minshew can take the same team Hurts has been winning with and lead them on the road to a win over a 10 win team, I just don't see how Hurts can possibly be considered more valuable than Allen or Mahomes.

43 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think it also depends on how much time he misses. If he misses just one game he has a good chance of winning still. He was the heavy favorite before is injury. Vegas might be thinking he misses two games. I see him sitting out the next two and coming back week 18. Maybe he only plays a half week 18. That could hurt his chances quite a bit as by that point Allen, Mahomes and Burrow will have total yardage and total TD numbers that would dwarf his. 

Allen and the Bills didn't blow anything though if at the end of the season they finish with the #1 seed. It all comes down to the Bengals game. The turnover slump against the Jets and Vikings could end up completely meaningless. Throw in Hurts possibly missing two games and Allen could have clearly better numbers than the other QB with the #1 seed.

It could come down to the bengals game…..but let’s focus on Chicago first.  This game isn’t a given considering the weather.  

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

Not sure he deserves it but they do like giving it to different guys (yes I know Rodgers win the last 2 years) 

Even though there’s so much more access to actually watch the players play, the writers still just mainly look at stats. It’s why Rodgers won 2 years ago and it’s probably why Mahomes will win this year. Mahomes has passed for 1000 more yards than Hurts, they can run with the narrative that he did it without Hill, etc 

I don't see how they could give it to Mahomes over Allen or Hurts.  KC lost their 2 biggest games against Bills and Bengals.  
Allen is hampered by his turnovers and these bad weather games.  Hurts is going to lose ground on injury.  So if Bills win out including beating the Bengals,
then HAVE to give it to Allen. 

33 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He does throw a lot, the team just is not that successful.

Other than TDs, his numbers aren't very different than Allen's: yards, attempts, % complete, 1st downs, ints...behind a terrible O-line.  He has 7 4th comebacks/GWDs (no one else has 5).  PB 3 of the last 4 years (Allen 2 of the last 3). 

both teams 11-3...the Vikings D is the NFL's worst, Allen plays with a Bills D that is #2. 

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He has a case but he's not the run away winner. He trails in total yards and total TD's. He's 4th in both, he's not even second or third. 

Why would you say that? Should we see Allen without Diggs?

And Mahomes and Allen probably have double the highlights of Hurts. 

Diggs isn't even in the same stratosphere as Kelce, we are watching the best TE to ever play the position.

Edited by TBBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.