Snowballs - fair game if aimed at Dolphins bench?

Clark Rotary

55 minutes ago, JDubya76 said:

They cut Mike Pereira on the broadcast, and he basically shrugged and said what are you gonna do about it. I’ve never seen a penalty called in that situation. I think they were comfortable issuing the warning and then hoping it would diminish, which it did.

Don’t think they would have called. phins fans also throwing snowballs.

Wasn’t there a penalty way back when against a teams fans for being too loud?  Back when they threatened to call penalties for that.  Stupid rule if you ask me. 

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Any team, any sport, any field or court of play; any fan that throws anything onto the field or court, or at the bench or even at another fan is a total idiot and should be banned for life. It’s stupid and unacceptable on every level. Full stop.

You were nailing it until you tried to play 17 instead of 70 with "Full stop". 

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

#1 they are snow balls - good lord people, stop being pansies. I loved that McDaniels was crying about them being hit with them. Snowballs arent gonna hurt anyone, except people's feelers.

#2 this isnt the only stadium it has and does happen in

#3 some of you must not remember or know about the days of batteries being thrown at Bryan Cox - that crap isn't right

#4 This is football, not a fancy dinner, a recital, or church. Its supposed to be rowdy, raucous, rabid, and FUN. 

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

So here’s a question, if a Dolphins fan (wearing neutral colors) threw a snowball from the bleachers, and it hit someone, should the Bills have received a penalty?

How many times does this have to be explained? One snowball hitting someone doesn't cause a penalty. It's when there's dozens of people throwing them and interrupting the game. 

11 minutes ago, Malazan said:

How many times does this have to be explained? One snowball hitting someone doesn't cause a penalty. It's when there's dozens of people throwing them and interrupting the game. 

Why do I feel like I’m being scolded here?  My question was pertaining to how the refs would know which team to assess a penalty to. 

Hate to be the get off my lawn guy but out of thousands of thrown snowballs something is bound to hit a player in the eye, kinda like the freak accident when Jeff Tripplette hit Orlando Brown in the eye with a penalty flag.   Then think of the liability if the league doesn't stop it.  It's fun, but if you don't control it people start trying to outdo one another ("Bet I could hit THAT guy right in the f----in head!   Watch this!") and something bad is bound to happen.

6 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

You mean ‘ice balls,’ as McDaniel and the media called them?  

I don’t condone anyone throwing snowballs at someone with intent to injure… but why is it completely ignored that Dolphins fans were also throwing snowballs??  Our players were getting targeted too.. and not by our fans. 

I firmly believe that ANY fans in ANY stadium would have been doing the exact same thing throughout the course of the game if the situation presented itself. This is NOT a Buffalo thing.

Any time the refs or PA mentioned the bills getting a penalty if fans threw snowballs the dolphins fans around us would start throwing a bunch 

55 minutes ago, Malazan said:

There was one announcement that said if a ref was hit there would be a penalty. 

6 hours ago, Clark Rotary said:

I thought that snowballs aimed at the Dolphins bench were fair game because the Dolphins sat our team in the  roasting sun in the game earlier in the year.  The whole thing has a nice Heat Miser Cold Miser dynamic that seems fair to me.  But I didn't see too much of the quid pro quo aspect mentioned in the media - did I miss it?  Just to be transparent I was reprimanded a few times by  authority types about my snowball throwing in 4th and 5th grade but have been clean for the last 50+ years - I always thought that was about average for growing up in Buffalo. 

The fans weren't aiming the sun at us.

And if the sun hits you in the eye you don't risk serious injury.

Uncool. Nobody was trying to hit anyone in the eye, but it could've happened.

25 minutes ago, PaulieYayo said:

It’s not the point of injuring someone with a snowball, it’s the point of being a bad look for our fans. Grow up, this isn’t Philly 

It's both, for me.

• Like (+1) 3

Guys, it’s not like they were putting stones in the snowballs, or pouring water on them to make ice balls.  

Sure it’s annoying for the players, but they know next year if we play them I. Buffalo next December, they will know what to expect.  It’s mental warfare.

I could care less as it’s not hurting these guys.  Now the batteries that used to be thrown in other stadiums years ago is wrong and can hurt a player and I’m not good with those antics.

I also would kid only Dolphins fans with their jerseys, but I wouldn’t throw snowballs or anything else for that matter at them.  That’s wrong.

I would only kid with them in a friendly way, but keep it civil.  

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I think this is a classic division amongst the old breed of Bills fans and the younger generation. Older generation hates the Bills Mafia term, breaking tables, throwing snowballs and general debauchery. The old breed is more composed, orderly, etc. younger crowd obviously buys into Smashing tables, fingering bum holes in the stands, doing favors for Kiko Alonso jerseys in hammers lot, etc. 

I am of the old breed and I can tell you that I saw and heard and (possibly) did and said things in my day that could hardly be described as “composed and orderly.”  This behavior is not new or original.  We just grew out of it.  The younger generation will become us sooner than they think. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Way back in the mid-70s I was a beer vendor at Rich Stadium.  I'm not sure they still have that job.  I carried a tray of beer around the stands.  Lousy beer, and overpriced at a dollar or so.

Anyway, near the end of one season, the Bills sucked, and OJ was still on the team and had a shot at some record.  It was a cold gray day with a lot of snow and not many people in the stands.  The beer market was pretty slow so I was just watching the game.  I was working in the northern side of the stadium, behind the Vikings bench.  Chuck Foreman had a great game and I think he might have edged OJ for the record in question.

And so the snowballs started, from the area where I was sitting.  One of them hit Foreman in the eye.  I don't think it caused permanent damage, but it was certainly a dangerous and foolish and embarrassing thing to see.  I can only imagine the fury Bills fans would feel if something like that happened to Josh Allen or Diggs or actually any member of the Bills. 

Cut. It. Out.

Let's see you get hit in the eye with an ice ball and say it's just harmless.

I was too young to buy a beer from you but I was there too.  It was awful.  Your description is great. Oh, and I love the Bills Mafia term.  Family nails being Bills fans.  Some guy on FB invited all out of town Mafia to his big tailgate.  Potluck accepted but not mandatory.  Did anyone here go?

Edited by redtail hawk

7 hours ago, Clark Rotary said:

I thought that snowballs aimed at the Dolphins bench were fair game because the Dolphins sat our team in the  roasting sun in the game earlier in the year.  The whole thing has a nice Heat Miser Cold Miser dynamic that seems fair to me.  But I didn't see too much of the quid pro quo aspect mentioned in the media - did I miss it?  Just to be transparent I was reprimanded a few times by  authority types about my snowball throwing in 4th and 5th grade but have been clean for the last 50+ years - I always thought that was about average for growing up in Buffalo. 

Throwing snowballs at anyone yields a black eye on Buffalo Fans 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Herc11 said:

#1 they are snow balls - good lord people, stop being pansies. I loved that McDaniels was crying about them being hit with them. Snowballs arent gonna hurt anyone, except people's feelers.

#2 this isnt the only stadium it has and does happen in

#3 some of you must not remember or know about the days of batteries being thrown at Bryan Cox - that crap isn't right

#4 This is football, not a fancy dinner, a recital, or church. Its supposed to be rowdy, raucous, rabid, and FUN. 

If you are sitting near me I guarantee that I will punch you in the face. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How many NFL players have been injured by a snowball ?

If we're serious about player safety... playing in 120 heat index is significantly more dangerous than having snow balls thrown at you. Korey Stringer died of heat stroke in 2001. 

The Bills had 3 (?) different players leave the game at Miami early due to heat related issues. Not to mention countless cramps.

Sure, it's not exactly a 1:1 comparison as snowballs are fan behavior whereas heat is just nature. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.