NY Jets at Buffalo Bills, Sunday Dec 11 at 1 pm

Beck Water

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Phillips might be out for a bit. 

The game broadcast showed Phillips laying on the field after the dive attempt, and when they came back he was off the field. 

But Sal C said that he stayed on the field for 20 seconds before going off to the sidelines. 

I think all we have on this is the speculation from Banged up Bills and McDermott's comments lumping Phillips in with Quessenberry, Gilliam, as "improving" and see how it goes. 

22 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The game broadcast showed Phillips laying on the field after the dive attempt, and when they came back he was off the field. 

But Sal C said that he stayed on the field for 20 seconds before going off to the sidelines. 

I think all we have on this is the speculation from Banged up Bills and McDermott's comments lumping Phillips in with Quessenberry, Gilliam, as "improving" and see how it goes. 

Yeah I hear ya.  Being in a sling, McD and Banged up Bills got the speculation going.   The addition of CJ Brewer to the active roster is an action that could be perceived as possible insurance in case JP misses time.  

2 hours ago, eball said:

By W-L record you are correct.  By performance against better teams you are not.

Miami is not "obviously" better than the Titans, Ravens, Jets, Pats***, Chargers, Vikings, Packers, Giants, Commanders, Seahawks, or Bucs -- in addition to the six teams you listed.  That means they are in a "glut" of teams in the range from 7-18, which to me is "middle of the pack."

But to each his own.

Miami is ranked 8th in DVOA, directly in front of the Jets at 9th. Bills are 1st and have been all year.

They are 2nd on O, 17th on D and dead last on ST in DVOA.

AFC East is by far the best division in football according to DVOA with it's teams ranked 1st, 8th, 9th and 12th.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Reality is subpar QBs can force feed a stud a ball… they are pro QBs after all

don’t get @BADOLBILZstarted 

Moulds Is a machine … who was force fed the ball … Even Josh Gordon led the NFL in receiving with awful quarterbacks

Coming into the league as a better route runner would’ve helped his stats for the first two years

to be clear he was a Monster … But if you put any good wide receiver with a Hall of Famer for a long stretch they’ll  have crazy numbers

It’s the NFL… You work with what you have

I was actually a Moulds fan but I have to speak the truth on the guy.   He is SO overrated by some folks here.    

That 1998 season was still the most dominant season by a Bills WR ever, IMO..........he couldn't be stopped.   

But overall, he wasn't close to the player Diggs is, IMO.

Moulds was a rare balance of incredible power and very good speed in 1998......but put on close to 10# of muscle going into 1999........much of it in the legs......and it noticeably slowed him down.  

Agree with the part about subpar QB's feeding him relentlessly.........he had more passes thrown to him when he was covered like a blanket than any WR in Bills history.

For one great season he was probably the best receiver the Bills have ever had........but overall he was just a very good one.

s-l500.jpg

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was actually a Moulds fan but I have to speak the truth on the guy.   He is SO overrated by some folks here.    

That 1998 season was still the most dominant season by a Bills WR ever, IMO..........he couldn't be stopped.   

Moulds was a rare balance of incredible power and very good speed in 1998......but put on close to 10# of muscle going into 1999........much of it in the legs......and it noticeably slowed him down.  

Agree with the part about subpar QB's feeding him relentlessly.........he had more passes thrown to him when he was covered like a blanket than any WR in Bills history.

For one great season he was probably the best receiver the Bills have ever had........but overall he was just a very good one and .

s-l500.jpg

Yes...he looked noticeably slower in 1999 when he set the NFL record for most receiving yards in a playoff game with 240 that he still holds to this day.

Edited by Big Turk

I used ChatGPT to make a poem about the Bills v Jets this weekend.  Their database is only current through 2021 it says..  So it put in Sam Darnold..  I assuming a 'large barge' is Sam dropping a dookie on the field.

The Bills versus the Jets, what a showdown to be.

Both teams want to win and make it to the Super Bowl, we can see.

The Bills have Josh Allen leading the charge.

The Jets have Sam Darnold, ready to make a large barge.

The Bills defense is ready to bring the heat.

The Jets offense is ready to make a feat.

The Bills are looking to win this game.

The Jets are hoping they can do the same.

The crowd roars loud, the stadium is alive.

Both teams battle hard, they'll give it their all to survive.

The Jets score with a field goal.

The Bills answer with a touchdown, taking control.

Back and forth the teams go, until the final whistle blows.

The Bills win the game, the Jets will have to go home.

Edited by wjag
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

I don't know what this means. I look at 9-3 and 1st in conference. That's good enough for me

It means they are really f**king good.

SOS = Strength of Schedule(have played the hardest schedule of any playoff team)

SOV = Strength of Victory(have the 2nd highest strength of victory in the AFC)

WAR = how good a player is above replacement(ie, used to show we have lost the most quality due to injury of any team in the AFC)

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes...he looked noticeably slower in 1999 when he set the NFL record for most receiving yards in a playoff game with 240 that he still holds to this day.

Yeah that was a great game but it was the 1998 season.

This season the NFL playoffs will be played in 2023...........that's how it works.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

It means they are really f**king good.

SOS = Strength of Schedule(have played the hardest schedule of any playoff team)

SOV = Strength of Victory(have the 2nd highest strength of victory in the AFC)

WAR = how good a player is above replacement(ie, used to show we have lost the most quality due to injury of any team in the AFC)

I kinda get it...I just think some analytics go a bit too far. It's just football. Hockey has gotten ridiculous

According to DVOA, this is the best Bills team ever(since 1981 at least)

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

I kinda get it...I just think some analytics go a bit too far. It's just football. Hockey has gotten ridiculous

The problem with football is not every team plays every other team so in large part the schedule you play helps to determine statistics, wins/losses, etc far more than any other sport.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For one great season he was probably the best receiver the Bills have ever had........but overall he was just a very good one.

s-l500.jpg

You have to remember that dirty play where somebody hoisted his leg up causing the hamstring tear. He was not the same after that injury.

Plus, I think you have to consider Elbert Dubenion in the best of all-time conversation. Different time, different game, but nonetheless, he was dominant against some really good secondaries. Lance Alworth was better, but not by much.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

I think that thought process is helpful if you are still in the season and trying to project how future games will go.

The Miami game was full of injuries and issues with the heat. Especially losing Morse in-game seemed to screw up the timing of everything on offense. We play Miami again much healthier, not in the heat, and Morse is back.

The Vikings game was a total fluke. The Bills outplayed them 90% of the game and then a bunch of crazy stuff happened. If we play that game the same way we win 99/100 times. The Vikings needed a fumbled snap in the end zone 3 yards away from victory formation for a TD in order to win. It isn’t predictive of anything.

The Jets game we played like garbage on offense. The Jets got pressure with 4 and have a solid secondary. If there is a game to point to for an example of how we might lose again it would be this game. Maybe not the Jets specifically because their offense is pretty bad. But say for example if the Bengals can get pressure with 4 and drop everyone else in coverage, they could knock off the Bills in a similar way.

I don't disagree with any of that. Conversely, the Bills won the Chiefs game with 1 min plus on the clock. The Chiefs had lots of injuries too. Couldn't you say the Bills were fortunate to win that game. Made 4th down play to stay alive too. Look at the Ravens game. 

I suppose it can be helpful to look at past games to predict the future. However, there are so many variables in play I'm not sure it's really predictive. Look at the Miami game. Tua played with a concussion. Now the Bills can effectively run the ball, have smoke, Cook is cooking, Hines is added, Von is out, etc...

I just find this kind of logic a bit perplexing. So many feel like their team should have won games but then don't look at the games they probably should have or could have lost. I guess that's what fans do including myself. 

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Thanks for posting these.  Wow the old Rockpile and film technology made every game look like a night game.  I was a young kid then so have to ask - did the AFL have night games ie SAT evening ?

Yes. They usually used a white football when playing at night.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Not relying on Jaquan Johnson and Terrell Bernard is a giant lift

Still having nightmares about Jaquan Johnson being outleveraged on those long runs to the outside where is right there to make the tackle for a 1 or 2 yard gain and instead tries to take an angle to make it for a 2 yard loss and Carter bounces it outside for 2 20+ yard runs.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Greg S said:

I wonder if Michael Carter plays. He was out last week vs the Vikings. With Hall already out for the season, White might have to throw it 50 times if Carter doesn't play this week.

They're not gonna do that with White. Zonovan Knight has looked great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.