NY Jets at Buffalo Bills, Sunday Dec 11 at 1 pm

Beck Water

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

white might not be able to throw 57 times this week

I wonder if Michael Carter plays. He was out last week vs the Vikings. With Hall already out for the season, White might have to throw it 50 times if Carter doesn't play this week.

48 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yes, and it was said Cam Lewis was very down on himself afterwards because he knew all he had to do was knock the ball down and the game was over, and he had his hand on it.  But hopefully, like the "Hail Murray", the Bills defense will regroup, be more determined, and play harder for it.

All due respect to Cam Lewis, but Poyer would have made all the difference in that game. 

• Agree 5

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

All due respect to Cam Lewis, but Poyer would have made all the difference in that game. 

Just as Milano would have made all the difference in the Jets loss.  

And Poyer would have in the Miami loss.  No way Tua hits waddle on the 3rd and 18 for 50 yards if that was Poyer and not Jaquan. 

same can be said for many losses for many teams over the course of a season.  

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Mango said:

To a lesser extent the entire league is getting away with it. I cannot remember another season where I just see DB's run straight through WR's, arms extended, head forward not looking for the ball. It feels like defenses have "caught up" to the offenses this year, I think allowing DB's to play is a huge part. But it makes me feel like I don't understand the rules anymore. 

I think basically for it to be DPI, DB's need to either actually grab the WR or tackle the guy early. Everything else seems basically fair game game these days. 

they have got it like partially modelled i think.  certain specific things they call because they've had it emphasized.  the arm around the back w the other arm in the front, they call that arm around the back if it has ANY impact on the play at all, often even if it happens concurrently w the ball getting to the WR.

since they seem to have all been told "face guarding isn't illegal in the nfl" they seem to ignore some but not all of the guy getting there early to cover the wr while not looking back to the ball.  conversely, if the guy does get his head around, he can more or less mug the wr and get away w it.

this stuff, just like the pick play/illegal man downfield and catch rules seem to change based on the context.  in the end zone, on the sidelines, and where it is on the field all seems to change the rule.  

needs a clean up IMO

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mango said:

To a lesser extent the entire league is getting away with it. I cannot remember another season where I just see DB's run straight through WR's, arms extended, head forward not looking for the ball. It feels like defenses have "caught up" to the offenses this year, I think allowing DB's to play is a huge part. But it makes me feel like I don't understand the rules anymore. 

I think basically for it to be DPI, DB's need to either actually grab the WR or tackle the guy early. Everything else seems basically fair game game these days. 

DB's seem to be holding one arm, forcing the WR to attempt one handed catches.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, colin said:

they have got it like partially modelled i think.  certain specific things they call because they've had it emphasized.  the arm around the back w the other arm in the front, they call that arm around the back if it has ANY impact on the play at all, often even if it happens concurrently w the ball getting to the WR.

since they seem to have all been told "face guarding isn't illegal in the nfl" they seem to ignore some but not all of the guy getting there early to cover the wr while not looking back to the ball.  conversely, if the guy does get his head around, he can more or less mug the wr and get away w it.

this stuff, just like the pick play/illegal man downfield and catch rules seem to change based on the context.  in the end zone, on the sidelines, and where it is on the field all seems to change the rule.  

needs a clean up IMO

The contextual rules in American Football are wild. Some kicks are 1 point, some kicks are 3 points. Some touchdowns are 6, some touchdowns are 2. A catch in bounds is different than a catch out of bounds or in the end zone. 

Make up your mind football!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

The contextual rules in American Football are wild. Some kicks are 1 point, some kicks are 3 points. Some touchdowns are 6, some touchdowns are 2. A catch in bounds is different than a catch out of bounds or in the end zone. 

i know it's been like this, maybe worse in the past.

i remember seeing a big thing on olinemen.  basically in the 80s the nfl (and thus every level of football below followed suit) allowed locked out arms while blocking.  it used to be you had to have bent arms, or else you were likely to get called for holding (i might be over simplifying the rule, but you get the gist).  so back in the day the pittz and oakland OL were all like 6'3, 260# of raw jailhouse roid muscle.  it was routine for entire olines to have 500#+ bench presses and they'd all pull and move and hammer people.  once they allowed for locking out of one's arms, that's when the giant wide hipped trees of men we see now at LT came out.  you don't need a ton of upper body strength to block a guy if you can lock out your 10 foot arms with you hands in his chest.

anyhow, back in the day the refs basically didn't call holding on running plays, allowing you to blow a guy once you got him moving.  once they changed the rule so they didn't need this strange judgement call, it totally changed what kind of athletes play the most common position in the game.

whatever they do to change the DPI/catch rules might change who gets drafted 20 years down the line.

i remember someone doing some meta analysis of the ball size and hand size for QBs.  basically, a smaller ball would allow for smaller handed qbs to play well, and a larger ball (like in the cfl) would also open the field for smaller handed guys since no one's hands are basically big enough to index finger on the back throw that ball the way modern qbs throw the nfl ball.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

But, Romo said he’s going to be a superstar!!

Yeah...  all apologies to Romo, but that may have been a bit premature.

Way too early to know where Dane's ceiling is at, but certainly getting targeted a lot for a reason and those reasons need to be corrected to justify getting more reps.

23 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Not sure if the betting odds thread is desired as the game week thread, wasn't obvious to me

Let's let Dion Dawkins start off the crazies

Does anyone know when we hear from McDermott and the coordinators?  Would normally hear Monday after a Sunday game.

Stuff I wanna know:

1) Bills Injury report.  I think Gilliam was reported to not be taking ST snaps (or any snaps) in the 2nd half of the NE game.

Front and Center: what is the status of Dion Dawkins ANKLE?  Have we all been holding prayer vigils/sending "Get Well" cards?

How about Quessenberry?  Even if Dion can go, unless he's healed up we're one bad snap away from....Bobby Hart?

Who else are we worried about? 

2) Jets Injury report.  Quinnen Williams left the game at least briefly yesterday.   Sometimes guys "play through" an injury that keeps them out when it stiffens up and swells.  Anyone else?

3) Marquez Stevenson Watch.  Has to be activated December 7 or placed on season-ending IR, I believe.

Dion is a fresh breath. Dont get me wrong i love meatheads in football too, but Dion is kinda dorky and not your typical football personality. Love it lol crazy how much taller he looks, hockey players are pretty damn big too

10 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Yeah...  all apologies to Romo, but that may have been a bit premature.

Way too early to know where Dane's ceiling is at, but certainly getting targeted a lot for a reason and those reasons need to be corrected to justify getting more reps.

First it was Romo calling Dane Jackson a future superstar, then this past game I heard Al Michaels call Boogie Basham "very underrated".

I'm as a big a Bills homer as there is, but.....what are these guys smoking?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Mango said:

As opposed to the other football where every successful kick in a game is worth one point... if there are any, that is.

Bills still maintain #1 DVOA ranking over Dallas.

Also the only team that is in the top 5 in all categories...Offense and Defense ranked 4th, ST ranked 3rd.

Jets ranked 9th.  19th on O, 5th on D, 14th ST.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-efficiency/2022/regular

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.