In Gabe We Trust!

folz

Davis is the modern day version of Alvin Harper.

The issue is that the team........and so many fans.........seem to have thought he was going to step up and be a stand-alone WR2 or even a WR1B type.

That wasn't likely to happen.   He'd never shown that range or consistency.   It was careless to not stock the cupboard with more quality.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

As previously mentioned by others: 2nd worst catch % in the league @ 52.7% (see link below).

Tied for 3rd most drops w/ 5 (one in the end zone @ end of Mia game was brutal & would have won it). (See link to list below. Interesting Kelce is tied for 1st). 

He needs to step up & be much more consistent.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/who-has-the-lowest-catch-percentage-among-wide-receivers

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

In addition to the drops and low catch %, let's not forget running the wrong routes that resulted in INTs. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I get concerned when he has a 17% drop rate and I hear he only runs 3 routes.  He has multiple 3rd down drops right in his hands stalling drives.  Dropped a 70 yard pass in the bucket to keep a game alive.  Almost potentially cost us a game last week with his onside kick misque drop.

What is really glaring is watching opposing receivers dominate contested catch situations against the Bills since the bye........but Gabe Davis just can't catch anything that is remotely contested.    It's not just the nearly 20% outright drops that are reducing him to a 50/50 proposition on pass attempts.

I didn't expect Davis to catch the deep pass against Sauce.........but he sure could have.......and he needs to come down with some of those if they aren't going to be able to divert the top 2 CB's away from him and allow him to get more open.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

he even blew it in minny on the tying drive, with a drop and the refs bailed him out. 

not sure what’s up with him but it’s bad. Almost Zay Jones bad.

I like gabe. I just don’t think he’s a true 2. I am not advocating us moving on from him. Just put his where he excels…as a 4 or 5. 

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I like gabe. I just don’t think he’s a true 2. I am not advocating us moving on from him. Just put his where he excels…as a 4 or 5. 

the frustration with him is he’s got size, speed, footwork along the boundary, can separate, great at scramble drill, blocks well… it’s just the inconsistent hands. little like knox. if these guys were just making the routine plays, this bills team is unstoppable. 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

the frustration with him is he’s got size, speed, footwork along the boundary, can separate, great at scramble drill, blocks well… it’s just the inconsistent hands. little like knox. if these guys were just making the routine plays, this bills team is unstoppable. 

Yeah it’s his hands and route running. He’s all or nothing. Doesn’t make the routine plays over the middle. When he does, he usually has hands issues. 

His yardage stats are very misleading, because he's been totally boom or bust.

For every big play he makes, he's also dropping a catchable ball.  He had another one on Sunday that killed a promising drive (settled for a field goal), and almost blew an onside kick.

As someone else mentioned, he dropped what should have been a touchdown against Miami (we lost by two points).  He dropped a bomb on the final play against the Jets (would have put us in field goal range in a game we lost by three points).  And if the refs called for a booth review, they would have taken away his sideline catch against the Vikings (on the drive that sent us to overtime).

All of the criticism directed his way has been totally justified.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

there are 64 starting wr's in the nfl. Davis has missed a game and is still right in the top 20 for yards. The bills have 2 players on pace for over 1000 this year. there are 2 other teams that can say that(mia/kc). Davis has his flaws and consistency issues but i'm seriously wondering if any of understand who most other teams are trotting out as their #2. its not like 80% of the teams in the league are tossing it around to multiple 1000 wr's.

7 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

His yardage stats are very misleading, because he's been totally boom or bust.

For every big play he makes, he's also dropping a catchable ball.  He had another one on Sunday that killed a promising drive (settled for a field goal), and almost blew an onside kick.

As someone else mentioned, he dropped what should have been a touchdown against Miami (we lost by two points).  He dropped a bomb on the final play against the Jets (would have put us in field goal range in a game we lost by three points).  And if the refs called for a booth review, they would have taken away his sideline catch against the Vikings (on the drive that sent us to overtime).

All of the criticism directed his way has been totally justified.  

drops are 100% an issue. and in critical spots..... but i'm just curious as to how many #2's out there people think are honestly that much better.

I seriously wanna know where all these mythical amazing #2 wr's are. If feels like people just think they're all over the NFL. I'm bored so i went down through the divisions in my head and named out the 2's i would definitively take over davis.

Waddle

Higgins

Mike Williams

Devonta Smith

Godwin

Lockett

I'd debate Thielen(he's really fallen off but reliable), Aiyuk, and Marquise brown..... but i'm confused about what people requirements are for a #2(non-slot) wr.... seems like were just assuming most teams are having teammates each go for over 1000.... Take a look across the league. i would contend he's a top #2 option(with consistency issues)

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I seriously wanna know where all these mythical amazing #2 wr's are. If feels like people just think they're all over the NFL. I'm bored so i went down through the divisions in my head and named out the 2's i would definitively take over davis.

Waddle

Higgins

Mike Williams

Devonta Smith

Godwin

Lockett

I'd debate Thielen(he's really fallen off but reliable), Aiyuk, and Marquise brown..... but i'm confused about what people requirements are for a #2(non-slot) wr.... seems like were just assuming most teams are having teammates each go for over 1000.... Take a look across the league. i would contend he's a top #2 option(with consistency issues)

I like AIyuk a lot.  He honestly is a lot like Gabe.  

Usually a good #2 is a good blocker, either a deep threat or a big body.  They aren't the best route runners (if they were, they'd probably be a #1).  

• Agree 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I like AIyuk a lot.  He honestly is a lot like Gabe.  

Usually a good #2 is a good blocker, either a deep threat or a big body.  They aren't the best route runners (if they were, they'd probably be a #1).  

Exactly. It seems what everyone is really saying in here is that they expect us to have two #1's.... well get in line then. theres about 31 nfl teams, other than miami, that would like to sign up for that.

My main point is look at the landscape of the league and the other #2 options. Ours would be towards the top of most lists.

He's a baller, been winning us games since the Colts playoff game with his insane sideline catches as a rookie.

Bit of an off-season for #13 though.  Dropped a game winner in Miami and the final pass of the Jets game bounced off his facemask.  If he makes those two grabs we are 9-1.

He's our WR2 and Im happy about that.  Must be getting better separation than Shakir because Josh barely looks at #10 these days.

• Like (+1) 1

If the Davis we saw in the playoffs against the Chiefs can ever truly become that player full time this offense would be unstoppable.

But unfortunately he's been one of most inconsistent players on this team and you really don't know what you expect from him on a week to week basis anymore.

Perhaps he turned the corner against the Browns but it remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

there are 64 starting wr's in the nfl. Davis has missed a game and is still right in the top 20 for yards. The bills have 2 players on pace for over 1000 this year. there are 2 other teams that can say that(mia/kc). Davis has his flaws and consistency issues but i'm seriously wondering if any of understand who most other teams are trotting out as their #2. its not like 80% of the teams in the league are tossing it around to multiple 1000 wr's.

drops are 100% an issue. and in critical spots..... but i'm just curious as to how many #2's out there people think are honestly that much better.

Lumping him in with 32 other teams receivers when Gabe Davis has, at worst, the second best QB in the NFL throwing to him..........in a pass crazy offense...........that's where your argument ceases to illustrate perspective.

The Bills passing offense is Diggs and Davis and little else.........and he simply hasn't seized the opportunity.    The bulk stats give the impression that he's been very good but those numbers should be GREAT given the opportunity he's been given.   50% completion and nearly 20% outright drops aren't even mediocre numbers........they are terrible and threatening for the worst in the league for a receiver who is receiving any volume of targets.

It's not his fault that too much was expected of him after he had so clearly proven to be inconsistent in his two prior seasons as well..........but they have what they have and really need him to step up his game despite having to face decent CB's now.    Teams that win SB's have more reliable WR2's than that.    It's a commonality.  That doesn't mean they can't defy that with a ham-handed WR2..........no rookie OC has won a SB since the 1980's either and that doesn't mean Dorsey can't.   But it's a handicap, nonetheless.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What is really glaring is watching opposing receivers dominate contested catch situations against the Bills since the bye........but Gabe Davis just can't catch anything that is remotely contested.    It's not just the nearly 20% outright drops that are reducing him to a 50/50 proposition on pass attempts.

I didn't expect Davis to catch the deep pass against Sauce.........but he sure could have.......and he needs to come down with some of those if they aren't going to be able to divert the top 2 CB's away from him and allow him to get more open.  

He caught a long TD pass against Minkah Fitzpatrick that was heavily contested, and the very nice TD he caught vs. MN was a contested catch as well. I don't think losing contested catches is his biggest issue at all. It's regularly dropping balls that aren't really contested, like on Sunday or on that sliding drop vs. the Jets that had huge ramifications. Plus he dropped the ball vs MN on their final regulation drive and it wasn't contested (he got lucky there). 

As for the Sauce Gardner play, that was a very tough one because he was interfered with. That said, Goerge Pickens catches that 7-8 times out of 10. 

Alvin Harper is a good comp.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sorry but constant ankle injuries are a testament to his inconsistent play these last 2 seasons. The drops continue and you never know from week to week which Gabe you're getting? I'm sure Dorsey & not having aa good slot wr also contributes.  But he's gotta step it up.

This is the main point.  He's not consistent, and he's not reliable.  The Bills offense needs to stay on the field, and when Davis drops 3rd down passes that would move the chains, and the Bills have to give up the ball, that hurts both the offense and the defense. 

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Lumping him in with 32 other teams receivers when Gabe Davis has, at worst, the second best QB in the NFL throwing to him..........in a pass crazy offense...........that's where your argument ceases to illustrate perspective.

The Bills passing offense is Diggs and Davis and little else.........and he simply hasn't seized the opportunity.    The bulk stats give the impression that he's been very good but those numbers should be GREAT given the opportunity he's been given.   50% completion and nearly 20% outright drops aren't even mediocre numbers........they are terrible and threatening for the worst in the league for a receiver who is receiving any volume of targets.

It's not his fault that too much was expected of him after he had so clearly proven to be inconsistent in his two prior seasons as well..........but they have what they have and really need him to step up his game despite having to face decent CB's now.    Teams that win SB's have more reliable WR2's than that.    It's a commonality.  That doesn't mean they can't defy that with a ham-handed WR2..........no rookie OC has won a SB since the 1980's either and that doesn't mean Dorsey can't.   But it's a handicap, nonetheless.

Starting to be very frustrated with the Bills not going after a better skill player before the deadline. Watching SF last night, it occurred to me that they have 4 elite skill players: McCaffrey, Kittle, Samuel, and arguably Aiyuk, who I am liking more and more. Jeff Wilson and Elijah Mitchell are performing at elite levels too, and Trent Williams is a pleasure to watch given how damn good he is. 

McCaffrey is really freaking good. He might not have been right for this offense, but he is perfect for them. 

My just-past-midseason SB picks right now are KC vs. SF. Hopefully KC stumbles, but since their division is terrible, I doubt it. 

Quietly, SF now has arguably the best D in the league (1st in yards, 4th in points). 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.