Game overall analysis

Italian Bills

21 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Is that a new rule about advancing an onside kick?  Hyde advanced one for a TD a few years back.

Hyde was on the receiving team.

The kicking team can't advance a recovery (unless the receiving team first has definitive possession and then fumbles); it's a dead ball at the spot of the recovery.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Allen looked lost for the 1st quarter and a half. Giving him the benefit of tough circumstances, he had a short practice week, a relocated game after a historic storm and coming off his worst 2 games turnover wise in 2seasons. He was fine after that and played controlled, smart football. The Bills ran the ball in thr 2nd half and scored on most of their drives. The biggest takeaway was this team is giving DCs plenty to worry about after that running display. Josh didn’t expose himself to hard hits and we got a good win.

Allen played just like the last 2 weeks except when he double-clutched, instead of throwing it to the guy he was going to throw to anyway after drawing the defense to him, he threw it to someone else.

4 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Even if i’m very happy for the win, i have to be straight on what i see: 

- overall grade game B-

- run game A (i love Cook)

- run game defense grade A+++

- Allen B (he seems lost.. don’t know what is it, but he’s not the Josh we know and need yet)

- Brisset had a very good game, but what about our defense ? 
- defense grade B

- secondary grade C- 

- penalties: too much !

In a brief recap if we play like this when we’ll face phins, jets and bengals we could be in trouble. 

For whatever reason we lost our mojo, we need to regain it very soon. 

Obviously we need to get some player back, Edmunds, Groot, Tre… right now we are too banged up to be a great defense again. 

Hello friend, yes we have lost our mojo and it did NOT come back against Cleveland despite the score.

If we continue to play at this new, low level (4 games now) we will go nowhere in the playoffs.

And yes, we'll get beat by good teams even prior to the playoffs.

Josh is still not right.  Most fans here don't care because we won.  

That is penny wise and pound foolish.  (Do you know that expression?)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Allen played just like the last 2 weeks except when he double-clutched, instead of throwing it to the guy he was going to throw to anyway after drawing the defense to him, he threw it to someone else.

I thought he was way more protective of the ball today, at times almost to a fault.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I thought he was way more protective of the ball today, at times almost to a fault.

That's what reminded me of his 2018/9 reps. Realllllly trying to steer the ball placement away from trouble, even if it made life tough (or impossible) for the receiver. If he threw long today, I'd bet he would have overshot the receiver to avoid any possible pick. You can win games with that Allen but it's not the fearless Allen that they'd need to win playoff games, or the big game. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Ralonzo said:

That's what reminded me of his 2018/9 reps. Realllllly trying to steer the ball placement away from trouble, even if it made life tough (or impossible) for the receiver. If he threw long today, I'd bet he would have overshot the receiver to avoid any possible pick. You can win games with that Allen but it's not the fearless Allen that they'd need to win playoff games, or the big game. 

Yeah, he probably over-adjusted. And I think I hope he does it again next week.

No need to beat yourself when you're playing inferior teams; if it costs them 4 points here and there, we can probably live with it vs the likes of the Browns and Lions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

I would add ST  A+
8 scores but only 2 TD’s isn’t good!

They continue to get very little from their slot WR and seems like they don’t even try to get Cook, Hines or McKenzie the ball in open space.

Still numerous question marks for me and they better be ready to go against Detroit. 7-3 and still haven’t play four solid qtrs in a game yet.  

The part about the slot receiver and our backs in space is so true. It’s mind boggling actually!

42 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Entire team looked flat except Milano and cook. But honestly if that's our new flat game that's ok, cuz josh doesn't throw red zone ints and we still win with a flat game from the team. The browns are a solid team that have lost alot of close games and we still handled them on an off day.

Thought Ed Oliver had a good game, as did Hines on special teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Even if i’m very happy for the win, i have to be straight on what i see: 

- overall grade game B-

- run game A (i love Cook)

- run game defense grade A+++

- Allen B (he seems lost.. don’t know what is it, but he’s not the Josh we know and need yet)

- Brisset had a very good game, but what about our defense ? 
- defense grade B

- secondary grade C- 

- penalties: too much !

In a brief recap if we play like this when we’ll face phins, jets and bengals we could be in trouble. 

For whatever reason we lost our mojo, we need to regain it very soon. 

Obviously we need to get some player back, Edmunds, Groot, Tre… right now we are too banged up to be a great defense again. 

Allen has three things that are not going in his favor:

* OL has not protected him well (But they have also played three teams with some great pass rush)

* His WR's minus Diggs have gone AOWL.  McKenzie shouldn't be on the field anymore.  His speed is not usable in current context.

*. Allen is trying to do too many things to overcome the above and he hasn't had a good day at the office. 

Yesterday he took what the Browns gave him and move the ball.  What he is missing is the Red Zone production (6 FGs yesterday).  Chalk it up for poor WR performance.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Of course this bad week (not practicing enough and illness) didn’t help, but there’s something wrong with our passing game.. with Josh. 

He doesn’t seem himself. 

He just needs confidence back. This is on dorsey. Diorsey  allowed the browns to take Diggs out. That’s unacceptable. The route tree is terrible , too congested , poor spacing. On the all 22 Josh has no open receivers. Dorsey needs to keep running,, get Hines involved as out #2 has a 17% drop rate, and be more creative with formation ( once today he actually did put Diggs in the backfield forcing a time out by the Browns! ) and motion and Josh will have more open guys. Do quick slants so Josh has no reads and csn just drops and throw so he gets confident. This is in Dorsey’s hands and mind! 

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Hello friend, yes we have lost our mojo and it did NOT come back against Cleveland despite the score.

If we continue to play at this new, low level (4 games now) we will go nowhere in the playoffs.

And yes, we'll get beat by good teams even prior to the playoffs.

Josh is still not right.  Most fans here don't care because we won.  

That is penny wise and pound foolish.  (Do you know that expression?)

IMO there are a few reasons for this...

1 Dorseys offense is not quite the same as Dabolls so there are still learning and adjusting to it

2 Allen obviously does have an injury and it does effect him

3 Due to said injury he hasnt even thrown balls at practice during the week.  I dont care how good you are, you need to practice to stay in sync

4 He doesnt quite have the talent he had last season

5 this week specifically no one hardly practiced at all.  I thought they did pretty good considering all the circumstances this week including not playing at home and being last hour helped from their homes just to get to Detroit

I think like last season, the Bills will find their way.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

The good news is that since the browns scored late and made it a one score game, this goes to the vaunted "1 score game" credit for McDermott! So glad we allowed it to be one score so his record could improve there /s. 😂😂

6-D chess, man

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.