Does Josh Allen miss QB Coach Ken Dorsey?

Chaos

Clearly Allen and Dorsey have a close relationship.  I am starting to wonder if Allen issues don't come in two flavors of Dorsey problems.  One, Dorsey not be up to the task of being an NFL OC, and two Allen not having full time access to Ken Dorsey as QB Coach. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Yet when he was here all we did was complain about him. All the glory to Josh in good times, all the blame to Dabes in bad times. Lesson in here somewhere.

The lesson is don't B word about the coordinators; we don't have enough info. as fans to really know what's going on.

I was never a Daboll attacker, nor do I ever complain now about Dorsey.

I am surprised, however, that Daboll is doing such a good job in NY; didn't really expect it.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The lesson is don't B word about the coordinators; we don't have enough info. as fans to really know what's going on.

I am surprised, however, that Daboll is doing such a good job in NY; didn't really expect it.

Thing is if you listen to people like Greg Cosell and Chris Simms who really know how to watch film, if you look at things like Cover 1 film breakdowns you can start to get an idea of what's happening. People like those mentioned, Erik Turner and others always talked glowingly about what Daboll was doing.

Dorsey is using less motion, seems to not be using all those different formations Daboll used, for some reason Dorsey has Josh Freakin' Allen executing half field reads, he doesn't seem as opponent-specific or gameplan-specific as Dabes, where are the rub routes and whatever other mysterious dark magic ways to get Gabriel Davis or Knox or Beasley or even a random offensive lineman wide open by a country mile. That contributes to the red zone struggles, not enough ways to win down there causes Josh to push the issue.

Daboll gave you so much to prepare for it ruins your whole week of prep. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Only some did. Every team complains about play calling when they lose. 

This is actually an interesting point at fan behavior on message boards. I think that we complain about play calling because it is the one aspect of the game that we can imagine ourselves doing. I can't throw the ball 50 yards or run a great route, but I can pick plays in Madden.

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

Clearly Allen and Dorsey have a close relationship.  I am starting to wonder if Allen issues don't come in two flavors of Dorsey problems.  One, Dorsey not be up to the task of being an NFL OC, and two Allen not having full time access to Ken Dorsey as QB Coach. 

I've wondered that.  Dorsey has a couple times allude to technique issues regarding Allen incompletions.  I've wondered if Dorsey was in his ear on the sideline during games with occasional tune-up suggestions and now both he and Shea Tierney aren't on the sideline, and Joe Brady is not a QB technician.

This would be seem to be a soluble problem though.

12 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Thing is if you listen to people like Greg Cosell and Chris Simms who really know how to watch film, if you look at things like Cover 1 film breakdowns you can start to get an idea of what's happening. People like those mentioned, Erik Turner and others always talked glowingly about what Daboll was doing.

Dorsey is using less motion, seems to not be using all those different formations Daboll used, for some reason Dorsey has Josh Freakin' Allen executing half field reads, he doesn't seem as opponent-specific or gameplan-specific as Dabes, where are the rub routes and whatever other mysterious dark magic ways to get Gabriel Davis or Knox or Beasley or even a random offensive lineman wide open by a country mile. That contributes to the red zone struggles, not enough ways to win down there causes Josh to push the issue.

Daboll gave you so much to prepare for it ruins your whole week of prep. 

I don't know; when the Bills were spinning their wheels last year, I heard plenty of criticism of Daboll from people who know how to watch film.  After the Pittburgh game last year, after the Jags game, against the Colts - oh my, the Colts.

I think when the Bills win, there's a lot of great stuff and when the Bills lose, fire everyone and blow the thing up.

I remember people complaining on this very board last season that Daboll wasn't using pre-snap motion and mixing up the formations.

I think it is true that Daboll used clever play design and trickery to scheme guys open and Dorsey is more "do your 1/11, beat your guy"

Edited by Beck Water

34 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

This is actually an interesting point at fan behavior on message boards. I think that we complain about play calling because it is the one aspect of the game that we can imagine ourselves doing. I can't throw the ball 50 yards or run a great route, but I can pick plays in Madden.

But dont you think it's ironic that the same people making the point that fans complain more about playcalling and coaching when teams lose, are the same fans complaining about coaching and playcalling right now?  Sometimes in the same thread.

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I am also surprised he is doing so well.  I dont think it is Dabol is some genius but prior NYG coaching did a terrible job especially with Daniel Jones.  Maybe Dabol  is a quarterback whisperer.

• Agree 1

I'm not - though I don't think anyone predicted they'd get off to this good of a start. Daboll is a relationship builder and people can say whatever they want about that, but it matters in this game. If you don't like the person you're working for then you have no shot. He's also smart. Smart enough to know what his players do well and what they don't do well and willing to bend and mold what he does schematically to fit their skill sets. He's a players coach through and through - that team is playing hard for him.

I thought it would take longer but I thought Daboll had a great chance to be a good coach.

He was undervalued on these boards where people don't have an emotional stake in the play caller but they do with the players and especially the QB.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.