Any Realistic Guard Available at Trade Deadline?

Wizard

Nobody we pick up off the street would be an upgrade.

Any legitimate upgrade would cost significant draft capital.

So... would it be better to trade a premium pick for a guard, who we immediately need to pay in the offseason and end up paying instead of Poyer/Edmunds/Phillips, etc. Or would it be better to simply use the draft pick on a Guard this offseason?

I think it's pretty clearly, the latter.

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But they aren’t replacing him. They’ve targeted him in free agency.

Hopefully the Chiefs game is something they build on.

Why wouldn't they look to upgrade from their weakest link? 

20 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Listed by who?   The only list that counts is the coaches list.  

Yeah because every week the coaches list their rankings. Smh

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Nobody we pick up off the street would be an upgrade.

Any legitimate upgrade would cost significant draft capital.

So... would it be better to trade a premium pick for a guard, who we immediately need to pay in the offseason and end up paying instead of Poyer/Edmunds/Phillips, etc. Or would it be better to simply use the draft pick on a Guard this offseason?

I think it's pretty clearly, the latter.

Not so sure. That's why we are discussing it. I know I keep talking about Risner. IMO he would be an upgrade. Saffold is on a 1 yr deal. Wouldn't it be better to get an experienced guard with versatility than drafting one and hope it works out? (See Cody Ford 😉). I'm just another keyboard cowboy,  not a GM, so my opinion means squat.🤪.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

No he's not

He's been bad. He's been ranked at bottom of roster almost every week. His two best weeks were 8th worst player.  Rams he was 3rd from bottom, Titans he was dead last, Dolphins he was dead last. Ravens he was 8th worst player on Bills. Steelers he was 8th again. Chefs 5th. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

57 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

The Bernard pick couldn’t have been a bigger waste of resources. Parham sitting right there and we take a LB who can’t get on the field instead of looking at protecting josh better not just for now but also the future. 

Totally agree. 100%. It made so much sense to take Parham. He’s very versatile and can play guard or center. Would have been a perfect piece to groom and slide into Saffold’s spot next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Athletic with Joe Buscaglia does all 22 grades every week 

And Joe is so accurate with his detailed grading 🤣. It seems to me as though he only operates with a limited grading system, ie. good, better, best.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He's been bad. He's been ranked at bottom of roster almost every week. His two best weeks were 8th worst player.  Rams he was 3rd from bottom, Titans he was dead last, Dolphins he was dead last. Ravens he was 8th worst player on Bills. Steelers he was 8th again. Chefs 5th. 

No, he's not

14 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

No, he's not

You can believe whatever you want in your fantasy land. 

30 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

And Joe is so accurate with his detailed grading 🤣. It seems to me as though he only operates with a limited grading system, ie. good, better, best.

There's also others that do weekly grading. I provided that because he's local. If you want me to provide others I accept Venmo, cash app, PayPal or zelle.

The people trying to argue he's not terrible. You do know he plays for the Bills, right?  What games are you watching?

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Im sure the Saints would agree with that. But even in a bad division what happens if they lose the next 2 weeks? They aren’t coming back from. 2-7 .

Unfortunately for them they are 54 mill over the cap next year. As had been said it’s pie in the sky to assume any team will give up a good guard mid season. Being in this bind gives a trading team the best chance. 

predictively though I doubt the Bills are looking to change their OL mid season.

You have a fair point, but the trading deadline is a week and a day away, next Tuesday.   So they could be 3-5 and possibly tied in wins with the Bucs and Falcons.  I'm sure they feel that Andy Dalton killed them with his 3 picks and that life will be better with Jameis.

I think Beane said something last year in his end of season presser that he thought if the trading deadline had been a little later, some teams might have felt they were out of it and been willing to do business, but where it is, those teams still have hopes (even slim hopes).  If they were in the NFC E or NFC N with 6 win and 5 win teams ahead of them, or if there were a team with a winning record leading their division sure, but 2-5 and 1 game back -- I'm sure they're like "lot of football to play, let's go!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You have a fair point, but the trading deadline is a week and a day away, next Tuesday.   So they could be 3-5 and possibly tied in wins with the Bucs and Falcons.  I'm sure they feel that Andy Dalton killed them with his 3 picks and that life will be better with Jameis.

I think Beane said something last year in his end of season presser that he thought if the trading deadline had been a little later, some teams might have felt they were out of it and been willing to do business, but where it is, those teams still have hopes (even slim hopes).  If they were in the NFC E or NFC N with 6 win and 5 win teams ahead of them, or if there were a team with a winning record leading their division sure, but 2-5 and 1 game back -- I'm sure they're like "lot of football to play, let's go!"

And honestly that is why I think the NFL trade deadline is in the right place. I hate the idea that you end up with multiple teams at the 3-7 type mark having a fire sale every year if you moved it back a couple of weeks. It seems to increasingly be the view of some fans that you either have a top 5 or 6 QB or what's the point, burn it all down and just get as many picks as you can but to me if that ever became a reality it would be to the detriment of the league. 

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, without a drought said:

I believe he has to start his 21 day practice window this week or be moved to the season ending injured reserve list.

People keep saying this, but as far as I know it's not true, either for IR or for PUP (what Ike is on)

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

And honestly that is why I think the NFL trade deadline is in the right place. I hate the idea that you end up with multiple teams at the 3-7 type mark having a fire sale every year if you moved it back a couple of weeks. It seems to increasingly be the view of some fans that you either have a top 5 or 6 QB or what's the point, burn it all down and just get as many picks as you can but to me if that ever became a reality it would be to the detriment of the league. 

Seems to me there's a lot of space between move the deadline from week 8 to 10, vs multiple teams having a fire sale.  I'm sure you're correct about the viewpoint of some fans - Buddy Nix got a lot of things wrong, but one thing he got right was "if you listen to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting with them".  Having it be a fan viewpoint, doesn't mean it's an FO viewpoint.

Edited by Beck Water

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Seems to me there's a lot of space between move the deadline from week 8 to 10, vs multiple teams having a fire sale.  I'm sure you're correct about the viewpoint of some fans - Buddy Nix got a lot of things wrong, but one thing he got right was "if you listen to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting with them".  Having it be a fan viewpoint, doesn't mean it's an FO viewpoint.

I don't think there is that space in terms of the risk. I think those two extra defeats are about the time teams give up on the season. That said, I do agree with you on the point that fan perception wouldn't necessarily lead to front office reality.... though my view is I don't want to risk it. Week 8 feels right to me. I would not support a change. 

7 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Yeah because every week the coaches list their rankings. Smh

Yeah, because every week coaches read PFF and fan message boards to find out how good or bad their players are.  

On 10/23/2022 at 1:46 PM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Admittedly have not seen the coaches post their top 5 / bottom 5 list anywhere

<sigh>   

Of course they don't. 

Show us your source for Saffold being on the bottom 5 rated player every week.  Or did you read it in PFF, or maybe in a fan forum?  If that is your source, then you don't really have one.   

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.