A few observations after the Stillers game

Simon

> Was very happy to see Dorsey finally start to work the edges a bit in the run game. Because of the way that people are trying to defend the Bills' offense, it's been there for the taking all year and it's like he's been intentionally ignoring it. You can win the numbers game out there right now when defenses are cheating to other areas of the field. It won't cure all the running game's woes, but it's a step in the right direction.

> Speaking of which, both the Bills Guards a really, really struggling. Not necessarily getting blown up, but they are frequently missing very uncomplicated blocks in a variety of situations. Getting the ball outside the Tackles is probably also a good way to minimize their exposure somewhat until they can get it together.

> Damar Hamlin is rapidly finding his comfort zone in this defense already. We'd been seeing some growing pains and not only were they diminishing, they completely left the building today. He was hyper-aggressive attacking his reads all day long and I don't think I saw him take a false step all afternoon. He had a significant impact on the game in multiple key moments and if not for Dodson, he may well have led the team in tackles. Great hustle and smarts all day from him.

> Props to Schnowman for hunting up Myles Jack on that extra point after that cheap spear to the face a few plays before the score. This was a very clean game up to that point, but after that *****, the gloves were off.

> Josh Allen missed a couple throws today and made a few questionable decisions. Yet somehow his B-game results in 350yrds and 4 TD in the first half? WTactualF?

> You won't find any of them plastered all over the stat sheet but the Bills Dline was very effective today. The Stillers clearly wanted the ball out of there as fast as Pickett could sling it and they were still forcing him into quick decisions with how fast they were getting into his field of vision. They also gave absolutely no headroom to Najee Harris to get those legs going. Sacks are fun but you can still hold an offense down by just doing your job well. 

> Matt Milano and Tyrell Dodson are likely going to be the Bills starting LB's at this time next year. I think I'm OK with that.

> The fretting over the Bills WR corps has been a little overwrought, imo. The longer this season goes, the more that seems to be the case with the benefit of hindsight. Diggs, Davis, Knox, Shakir are a fine group and when you figure in the under-utilized Morris and McKenzie this is a handful for opposing defenses. If this group has its health and added experience in Dorsey's offense by the end of the year, they are going to create a lot of points.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

• Simon changed the title to A few observations after the Stillers game
1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree particularly on the guards. They are the weakest links.

All this talk about looking for RBs and WR's before the trade deadline is misplaced, imo.

I'd much rather see them add a quality Guard if they're going to spend an asset to make a run.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 14

5 minutes ago, Bongo said:

I missed that with Dion and Jack. What did he do?

It barely made the camera, but Dion was smart enough to not screw his offense by going after him while they had the ball in the red zone, waiting until the extra point and then getting up into the second level to stir Jack's stew.

The camera didn't get there quick enough to see what he actually "did" but you might be able to see it on the All22. Unless of course, he's a truly wise vet and just squeezed the hell out of a nerve point without being obvious about it. :devil:

• Thank you (+1) 2

Guards did well in pass pro, Allen was untouched today...

But yeah, they are struggling with this zone blocking scheme...

Bills were ranked 8th in the NFL running to both edges which also mad me wonder Why they didn't do more until today...

Especially compared to their NFL worst numbers up the middle

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Hodgins deserves a mention, too, along with Shakir.  He looks extremely sure-handed and I think he'll impress if given more opportunities.   

There was some real cherry poppin going on out there today.

Hodgins first catch

Shakir's first TD

Elam's first INT

Cook's first TD

Epenesa's first ejection :D

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 12

1 hour ago, Simon said:

>if not for Dodson, he may well have led the team in tackles. Great hustle and smarts all day from him.

> Matt Milano and Tyrell Dodson are likely going to be the Bills starting LB's at this time next year. I think I'm OK with that.

Dodson erased any remaining doubt I had about him today.

• Agree 1

Agree re Allen, he’s a cheat code, this was far from his best game and he still stole the Steelers’ souls.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a talented athlete and I watched a lot of Bruce in his prime.

As for the WRs - it seems like a healthy Gabe Davis may be their difference between a close game and an absolute blowout.  He really hyperdrives the offense.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Hodgins deserves a mention, too, along with Shakir.  He looks extremely sure-handed and I think he'll impress if given more opportunities.   

Moss needs to be inactive,. Im straight tired of him. Hodgins seems to win routes early decent enough, but his hands are fantastic. Even if Hodgins brings 0 to special teams, Moss also brings 0. We dont run enough to be dressing 4.5 RB's (counting gilliam as .5). If its truly an emergency let Gilliam or T Jones be the third RB. otherwise let Motor carry the load with Cook being the spell back. Im sorry but Moss despite being thicker does not bring the short yardage hammer enough. Moss pass blocking is also = or very slightly better than Motor, but not better enough to warrant his less than 2 yards a carry. Free up a roster spot and cut ties.

And I saw in past the plan was to let Singletary walk, Moss take load next year. No. Motor can be brought back on cheap... what team is going to over pay to steal Singletary away from Bills? 

• Agree 7

3 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

Moss needs to be inactive,. Im straight tired of him. Hodgins seems to win routes early decent enough, but his hands are fantastic. Even if Hodgins brings 0 to special teams, Moss also brings 0. We dont run enough to be dressing 4.5 RB's (counting gilliam as .5). If its truly an emergency let Gilliam or T Jones be the third RB. otherwise let Motor carry the load with Cook being the spell back. Im sorry but Moss despite being thicker does not bring the short yardage hammer enough. Moss pass blocking is also = or very slightly better than Motor, but not better enough to warrant his less than 2 yards a carry. Free up a roster spot and cut ties.

And I saw in past the plan was to let Singletary walk, Moss take load next year. No. Motor can be brought back on cheap... what team is going to over pay to steal Singletary away from Bills? 

I agree about Moss.

Agree with everything the OP stated, although I do still feel there is a 50/50 shot they extend Edmunds. 

To expound a bit..

Morris is a legit TE2, and I have zero concerns about the future of our Tight End position with he and Knox.   That catch in the middle of the field was absurd for a Tight End. 

Damar Hamlin is athletic and plays with bad intentions.  I love his game. Obviously he’s not Hyde, but Hamlin looks to be locking himself into one half of the next Safety tandem in Buffalo.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

> Was very happy to see Dorsey finally start to work the edges a bit in the run game. Because of the way that people are trying to defend the Bills' offense, it's been there for the taking all year and it's like he's been intentionally ignoring it. You can win the numbers game out there right now when defenses are cheating to other areas of the field. It won't cure all the running game's woes, but it's a step in the right direction.

> Speaking of which, both the Bills Guards a really, really struggling. Not necessarily getting blown up, but they are frequently missing very uncomplicated blocks in a variety of situations. Getting the ball outside the Tackles is probably also a good way to minimize their exposure somewhat until they can get it together.

> Damar Hamlin is rapidly finding his comfort zone in this defense already. We'd been seeing some growing pains and not only were they diminishing, they completely left the building today. He was hyper-aggressive attacking his reads all day long and I don't think I saw him take a false step all afternoon. He had a significant impact on the game in multiple key moments and if not for Dodson, he may well have led the team in tackles. Great hustle and smarts all day from him.

> Props to Schnowman for hunting up Myles Jack on that extra point after that cheap spear to the face a few plays before the score. This was a very clean game up to that point, but after that *****, the gloves were off.

> Josh Allen missed a couple throws today and made a few questionable decisions. Yet somehow his B-game results in 350yrds and 4 TD in the first half? WTactualF?

> You won't find any of them plastered all over the stat sheet but the Bills Dline was very effective today. The Stillers clearly wanted the ball out of there as fast as Pickett could sling it and they were still forcing him into quick decisions with how fast they were getting into his field of vision. They also gave absolutely no headroom to Najee Harris to get those legs going. Sacks are fun but you can still hold an offense down by just doing your job well. 

> The fretting over the Bills WR corps has been a little overwrought, imo. The longer this season goes, the more that seems to be the case with the benefit of hindsight. Diggs, Davis, Knox, Shakir are a fine group and when you figure in the under-utilized Morris and McKenzie this is a handful for opposing defenses. If this group has its health and added experience in Dorsey's offense by the end of the year, they are going to create a lot of points.

There was a thread the other day about trading a #1 pick for either Barkley or McCaffney which most folks, myself included disagreed with.  I'd be more inclined to trade a draft pick for a good top level guard.  I also wonder if it's worth moving Bates to the left side where he was at the end of last season and seemed to play much better.  Bu then what to do at RG, that's where the trade comes in.

I think if Edmunds is gone next season more likely the starting LB's will be Milano and Bernard.

When you have a QB like Allen, he can make any WR look much better than he really is so can get away with much lower level of play there.  Davante Adams looked much better with Rodgers throwing to him than now with Murray.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I do wonder what effect the wind had on the passing game.  The end zone throw to Diggs looked like the ball sailed on him.  The end zone INT looked like he just didn’t get the ball high end for Davis to have a chance.

• Agree 2

In regards to the guard situation- we have a top notch pass blocking line but very limited with run blocking up the middle. The guards who do both well are paid much better than our guys and it is where we are robbing peter to pay Paul. As long as they keep Josh clean we can can hit a few quick hitters as an extension of the run game and keep chugging.

16 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

There was a thread the other day about trading a #1 pick for either Barkley or McCaffney which most folks, myself included disagreed with.  I'd be more inclined to trade a draft pick for a good top level guard.  I also wonder if it's worth moving Bates to the left side where he was at the end of last season and seemed to play much better.  Bu then what to do at RG, that's where the trade comes in.

I think if Edmunds is gone next season more likely the starting LB's will be Milano and Bernard.

When you have a QB like Allen, he can make any WR look much better than he really is so can get away with much lower level of play there.  Davante Adams looked much better with Rodgers throwing to him than now with Murray.

You mean Carr?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.