Jump to content

With this current era of Bills football can we finally lay the 90s Era to Rest? Are you ok with it?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Just a question for fun but I'd def be curious to hear how others feel about this.  As Bills fans we spent many, many years re-living and celebrating the Super Bowl era Bills teams and I know it was an incredible era and what those years meant for WNY.  But now that we finally have ushered in a new era of exciting Bills football (I still think the best is yet to come and we will make it back to the Super Bowl whether it's this year or another) will the 90s Nostalgia finally die out?  It definitely seems like it has already lost a lot of steam as people are more focused on the current team as they should be.

 

The second part of the question is Are YOU ok with it?  I was a huge fan of those teams and would not be the diehard Bills fan I am today without them but I'm at a point where I'm ok to let go of some of that Nostalgia.  I think because of how bad we were for about two decades following the Super Bowl runs we really beat it to death re-living and reminiscing about the old glory years.  Obviously the memories will always be there...but maybe we will no longer have to rely on them as Bills fans like we had to prior to Josh Allen and the Process coming along.  The only thing about it that makes me sad is the younger generation coming up today won't truly know the history and understand what those Bills teams meant to the Buffalo/WNY area but at least they will have an amazing team of their own to claim.  

  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Just a question for fun but I'd def be curious to hear how others feel about this.  As Bills fans we spent many, many years re-living and celebrating the Super Bowl era Bills teams and I know it was an incredible era and what those years meant for WNY.  But now that we finally have ushered in a new era of exciting Bills football (I still think the best is yet to come and we will make it back to the Super Bowl whether it's this year or another) will the 90s Nostalgia finally die out?  It definitely seems like it has already lost a lot of steam as people are more focused on the current team as they should be.

 

The second part of the question is Are YOU ok with it?  I was a huge fan of those teams and would not be the diehard Bills fan I am today without them but I'm at a point where I'm ok to let go of some of that Nostalgia.  I think because of how bad we were for about two decades following the Super Bowl runs we really beat it to death re-living and reminiscing about the old glory years.  Obviously the memories will always be there...but maybe we will no longer have to rely on them as Bills fans like we had to prior to Josh Allen and the Process coming along.  The only thing about it that makes me sad is the younger generation coming up today won't truly know the history and understand what those Bills teams meant to the Buffalo/WNY area but at least they will have an amazing team of their own to claim.  

Why does the 90s need to die out?

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the '90s SB teams will lose some of their position in history if and when the current team wins a SB.

 

Not appears in, but WINS, a SB.

 

In a world where the current regime makes it to the big dance and WINS, the '90s teams will seem less relevant and I think talk about them will naturally tail off a bit.


People will still remember them forever and the players will always be favorite Bills for many.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they can still go hand in hand.  If this team wins a SB or two, it will in a way vindicate the 90's team.  In a weird way, it will almost be a tribute to the 90's team and that they are not only winning the trophy for themselves, but the 90's team as well.  It will be a double whammy to bring home a trophy. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think the '90s SB teams will lose some of their position in history if and when the current team wins a SB.

 

Not appears in, but WINS, a SB.

 

In a world where the current regime makes it to the big dance and WINS, the '90s teams will seem less relevant and I think talk about them will naturally tail off a bit.


People will still remember them forever and the players will always be favorite Bills for many.

 

 

Interesting take, I feel like that could be true from a Bills fan perspective but will that still be true from an overall football fan perspective?  The 90s Bills will still be the only team to go to 4 consecutive Super Bowls.  I guess that's one point I didn't make in my original post.  I think until it happens again..and it probably won't for a long time if ever...then the 90s Bills will always have their place in NFL history.  

24 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Why does the 90s need to die out?

I actually am a huge 90s Nostalgia fanatic in general.  I'm just talking about how Bills fans were kinda stuck in the early 90s for 25 years because of how bad the organization became after those years.  I think now that we have finally become a relevant franchise again we won't ever have to go back to those days.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

Why does the 90s need to die out?

That’s what I was going to say…. Why?

 

that’s apart of the Bills….

 

Though I honestly think this team has a more solid 22 and a deeper roster as well. Much deeper.

Do a man for man comparison man for man and it’s the new team that wins…

Especially in the weapons department…. Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed…. We had a good backup RB then too but that’s where the talent really ends…. Of course, the new team happens to be almost completely injured right now…. 😭

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With all due respect to the OP, until any other Bills team gets to and wins the Super Bowl, the 90's teams will still be my benchmark.  Those teams dominated the AFC and except for one game a year, albeit the big game, they were absolutely the best team on the field for every game.   There was no doubt about whether they were going to win or not and when the team did lose, people were genuinely surprised.  

 

The current iteration is a lot of fun to watch.  They've won the division which is great but really, nothing of note - no AFC Championship and no SB appearances.   If this current team wins a SB, then they will supplant all previous Bills teams in the hearts of the fans IMO.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, chaccof said:

With all due respect to the OP, until any other Bills team gets to and wins the Super Bowl, the 90's teams will still be my benchmark.  Those teams dominated the AFC and except for one game a year, albeit the big game, they were absolutely the best team on the field for every game.   There was no doubt about whether they were going to win or not and when the team did lose, people were genuinely surprised.  

 

The current iteration is a lot of fun to watch.  They've won the division which is great but really, nothing of note - no AFC Championship and no SB appearances.   If this current team wins a SB, then they will supplant all previous Bills teams in the hearts of the fans IMO.   

Oh I agree, as of now the 1990 Bills team is still the best Bills team I've seen in my lifetime....the AFL Championship teams were way before my time.  I wasn't trying to say I think this current Bills team is better than the Super Bowl teams yet.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get your point OP, but for me staying grounded in our past makes the current upwards trajectory that much sweeter…there’s no need to do away with any nostalgia, it’s simply added on to what we already have, like a solid 3-layer cake 🎂! 😁

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I kind of look at it this way: My three brothers and I all played quite a bit of football, and finally our youngest brother was able to win a State Championship his Senior year.....and it was almost like a vindication for the rest of my family. I think it would almost feel the same way for those 90's teams, if the current team is able to get over that hump and win a Super Bowl. 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's wrong with honoring the great teams of the 90's, or the 60's? I really enjoy looking back and learning about those teams, the great players in Bills history, and just the history of the team in general. There's no reason to forget those times. Remembering them does not dimish the current team at all.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think the '90s SB teams will lose some of their position in history if and when the current team wins a SB.

 

Not appears in, but WINS, a SB.

 

In a world where the current regime makes it to the big dance and WINS, the '90s teams will seem less relevant and I think talk about them will naturally tail off a bit.


People will still remember them forever and the players will always be favorite Bills for many.

 

 

 

Agreed. To date the 90s era Bills has done more than this era.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course I enjoyed the 90's teams, I went to many games back then in person.  However, I've moved on from those teams.  I actually moved on a while ago, nothing against them or nostalgia in general, but gernally when I see something or am part of somethign I like...I enjoy it, look back on it for a year or two..and then shortly after I relegate it to the history books.

 

If this team has a multi-year playoff run or goes to (or wins) a superbowl, that will be great also. A SB win would put this team above the 90's team for me for sure. But just like the 90's teams, a year or two later I'd be ready to move on and look at the team in front of me.  

 

I know everyone is different, but I guess I'm just not one to watch old games, or watch documentaries about teams from the past, and to really have a big connection to players from the past. For me its what is right in front of me.

Edited by mjd1001
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me between 2000-2015 is when I was really nostalgic on those 90s teams.  2000 was a couple years removed from the Super bowl years and then by 2015 it felt kinda tired at that point still reliving things from over 20 years ago.  I'd add it was during the drought so them years it felt nice remembering the team was solid at one point.

 

 

I will say though the team imo would really be under a tremendous amount of pressure if it makes back to the Super Bowl.  Through no fault of their own.  The 90s Super Bowl years I think will resurface but not in a nostalgic way to Bills fans with how I think the media will run with it.  More like the teams history is it never gets it done when it makes it this far, it's up to this group to re-write history.  

 

So I would say until the team wins the Super Bowl I still see the 90's teams as the guerrilla in the room.  That's not to diminish the 90s teams, I'm just sayin' 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...