Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

8 hours ago, Bandito said:

On field temps were in the 90s though. It was still hot and the Bills were not affected at all last year.

you should just stick to PPP with your reasoning. 

It’s quite entertaining some fans are questioning the toughness of the team after that game. Pathetic. 

40 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You should calm down.  Jesus you are in at least two threads whining about excuses.  Yeah the Bills choked.  Thats true.  Allen choked on the pass to McK in the endzone. Gabe choked on the TD catch. Bass choked on the FG. Dawkins/Singletary choked on the block that cost the fumble as well as the center that snapped the ball too early.  The center choked on a few snapped footballs.  Milano choked on the INT.  We get it.  The team lost because they didnt execute on the plays they needed to.

None of that changes we were missing half of our team by the 4th quarter.  Some of those were 3rd stringers.  One of those was playing on oline with a torn ACL.  Diggs had an IV in both arms.  Other guys also got IVS.  All the receivers were in and out of the game to the point that the WRs were a rookie RB, a FB, and some random other person.  None of that changes that being in the shade for half the game which was probably 15 degrees cooler is a huge advantage.  When teams play here in the snow, wind, and rain both teams deal with that equally.  That is not the case in the Miami sun.

The Bills lost.  Get over it and move on.

Maybe I'm overly cynical but, with Bills2022 being a new member, I have to wonder... actually a Bill? As they seem desperate to shut down any discussion about Sunday beyond the Bills choking.

Because we did make elementary mistakes. But I'd argue that one of the key reasons why we made errors on offense was due to heat exhaustion, especially when we lost players in the 4th Quarter. Josh was out there more than anyone, was reportedly seen being sick on the sidelines, yet we expect him to throw properly every time? Davis' ankle was still not right and dropped a ball, Diggs was on two IV drips and dropped a ball... Considering the less time on they had on the field I'd point the finger more at Bass and Milano for the loss but anyone who says heat didn't play a part wasn't following the game properly.

Edited by UKBillFan
Slipped into soccer mode. Field, not pitch
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Maybe I'm overly cynical but, with Bills2022 being a new member, I have to wonder... actually a Bill? As they seem desperate to shut down any discussion about Sunday beyond the Bills choking.

Because we did make elementary mistakes. But I'd argue that one of the key reasons why we made errors on offense was due to heat exhaustion, especially when we lost players in the 4th Quarter. Josh was out there more than anyone, was reportedly seen being sick on the sidelines, yet we expect him to throw properly every time? Davis' ankle was still not right and dropped a ball, Diggs was on two IV drips and dropped a ball... Considering the less time on they had on the pitch I'd point the finger more at Bass and Milano for the loss but anyone who says heat didn't play a part wasn't following the game properly.

First thing I think when I see new member is someone thats been banned and just made a new account.  Now, thats not always true obviously but thats the first thing I think.  Years of conditioning from the old BBMB where it happened regularly.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

None of them have said that, but that's far from thew point because no one is claiming they did.  

As you correctly landed upon--they understand it's their job.  Sometimes it's very hot, sometimes it's very cold.  Or very wet with unsure footing.  Has any of them said "I hope it pours so hard that the grass is almost unplayable"?  How about, "man, I hope the wind chill is such that my toes and fingers may lose tips due to frostbite"?  It's a silly as it sounds. 

Players and the NFLPA play on artificial turf because "it's there job"----yet they are extremely vocal (have a public opinion) about the dangers of turf to their health and safety.  On weather?  Nothing.  On very hot weather?  Nothing.

You are determined to tell me how I should feel about this (over and over), when how I feel has no bearing whatsoever on this topic.  You are essentially telling them how they should think about this as well.,

I'm sure we both could compile a list of jobs that we feel are "unsafe" that people do "because it's their job".  So what?  Pro athletes as a group, and NFL players in particular are very publicly vocal about what they want and what their interests are.  

Your insistence that playing in Miami in September at 1 PM is on its face inherently, always, by its very nature, completely unsafe....does not make it so for the NFL.  I could not be more obvious that those involved in the game do not agree with you.  

You got almost every point there wrong. Being fair and being safe are the two critical issues. You can’t grasp that.  I think a house call from @DC Tom is in order. Have a nice life. 

Edited by Augie

The funny thing about the weather on Sunday is that it was perfectly normal for September in SE FL.

It was in upper 80s, nearly 90, and like 101 on the heat index.  It's been pretty much that way down here on a daily basis for maybe 3 months now, or more.  

And it's exactly what it usually is in September.

I still don't understand why the players were so bothered by the heat in this particular game.

The conditions had to be nearly identical to what they've played in down here, early in the season, for the last good many years. 

Edited by Nextmanup

7 hours ago, Augie said:

For you to watch 300+ lb men dropping like flies and then to say it’s not a safety issue tells us all we need to know about your understanding.

I’ve never noticed how unfair it was until last Sunday. I read a little and learned how much of a benefit that shade is under certain conditions. I also learned about the ridiculous restrictions preventing shade.  I was open to learning. You keep bringing up the Bills.  Forget that. I don’t care if it’s a women’s field hockey game. Not allowing shade is both unfair AND dangerous.  PERIOD. I’ve wasted enough time here. 

It’s unreal.  This thread showed me that he’s 💯 pure troll.  After all these years I’ve finally added him to ignore.  No need to have discussion with someone that is only here to antagonize everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s unreal.  This thread showed me that he’s 💯 pure troll.  After all these years I’ve finally added him to ignore.  No need to have discussion with someone that is only here to antagonize everyone.

I only do “manual ignore”, but he’s on the list. Never paid much attention in the past, but now I know to strictly blow past that crap. 

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Maybe I'm overly cynical but, with Bills2022 being a new member, I have to wonder... actually a Bill? 

Interesting thought!

Wouldnt surprise me it a player or two have made it onto these forums.

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

You got almost every point there wrong. Being fair and being safe are the two critical issues. You can’t grasp that.  I think a house call from @DC Tom is in order. Have a nice life. 

they think they are safe.  You say they are wrong.

summed for you

38 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The funny thing about the weather on Sunday is that it was perfectly normal for September in SE FL.

It was in upper 80s, nearly 90, and like 101 on the heat index.  It's been pretty much that way down here on a daily basis for maybe 3 months now, or more.  

And it's exactly what it usually is in September.

I still don't understand why the players were so bothered by the heat in this particular game.

The conditions had to be nearly identical to what they've played in down here, early in the season, for the last good many years. 

We couldn’t substitute as much as we normally would’ve because of the injuries.  Losing kumerow early was huge.  Had two less defensive linemen to rotate in as well and on the offensive line dawkins and saffold were gassed but we had nobody left on the bench 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

We couldn’t substitute as much as we normally would’ve because of the injuries.  Losing kumerow early was huge.  Had two less defensive linemen to rotate in as well and on the offensive line dawkins and saffold were gassed but we had nobody left on the bench 

Timings as well - don't think our offense has been on the field for 40+ minutes in previous games?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

they think they are safe.  You say they are wrong.

summed for you

What they “think” doesn’t matter. Korey Stringer’s family and the shield want to avoid future tragedies.

But you disagree.   🤦‍♂️ 

Countless high school and college kids have also been lost in recent decades. It doesn’t have to result in death to be absurd to argue against. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Augie said:

What they “think” doesn’t matter. Korey Stringer’s family and the shield want to avoid future tragedies.

But you disagree.   🤦‍♂️ 

Countless high school and college kids have also been lost in recent decades. It doesn’t have to result in death to be absurd to argue against. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31850139/korey-stringer-death-20-years-later-lasting-impact-how-nfl-changed

Twenty summers ago, a healthy NFL star died after practice on a scorching day at the Minnesota Vikings' training camp. The words still sting and baffle in equal measure. Korey Stringer's sudden death at age 27 was not from a heart attack, a broken neck or an undetected genetic malady. The offensive tackle succumbed to complications from exertional heatstroke, an avoidable and easily treated condition that sports medicine largely ignored at the time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Stringer's death during practice changed rules for the conditions for which players are monitored for heat stroke--a major move which is well known and well documented.  

Despite this, 20 yers later, there is no rule making for games in the heat.   None. The conclusions are obvious.  You won't accept this...that doesn't change them.

I'm not disagreeing with anything.  I'm stating the facts as they are.  It really doesn't get any simpler than that.  

On 9/26/2022 at 5:08 AM, oldschoolfootball1963 said:

The NFL or players association needs to step in and do something about this. We could have had several players die or be so heat effected that it could effect those players for several games. This is a safety issue. When the dolphins play in buffalo they have the same heaters and cold weather gear and it’s on equal footing. In Miami one team gets to be in the shade the entire game while the other side bakes in the sun. I’ve never been to Hard Rock stadium. But it appears there is some sort of screen or something that keeps their side shady. This is a very unfair advantage that effects the players heath. It would be like the dolphins having to play in leather helmets Vs the Bill's with todays helmet technology. I’m not pissed that we lost. I’m mad about how the sun effected the Bills players more because one team gets the shade while the other team bakes. This needs to stop to protect player safety.

It's the orientation of the field combined with the overhang of the stadium roof, which is symmetrical about the field but due to orientation provides shade to the SW side of the field much earlier than to the NE side of the field, which remains in full sun until late afternoon/evening.

The home sideline is on the SW side, shaded in the afternoon,  and the visitor sideline is on the NE side, sunny all afternoon.  The NFL has some sort of regulation prohibiting effective sun shades.  I guess if they are too high, they block spectator view but if they're too low, they present a hazard to players running on and off the field of play.  Anyway, technically the sideline could be tarped to provide shade to the visitors but NFL regs apparently prohibit this.

Fundamentally, the job (game) requirement to undergo maximum physical exertion for several hours in conditions where the workers (players) are required to wear protective clothing that retains heat, where there's no shade during rest periods, heat radiating off the field, and temperature/humidity conditions higher than skin temperature is a heat stroke death waiting to happen.

I'm frankly surprised that the NFLPA hasn't stepped up with an action limit where, when the temperature/humidity are over certain levels measured by a wet bulb globe thermometer on the sunnier sideline, the game must be postponed until the WBGT falls below levels AND shade must be provided on both sidelines.

Edited by Beck Water