Bills sign Jordan Poyer to new deal with increased incentives, continue to work toward extension

YoloinOhio

i mean, are some of us blind to the fact of this final line was in this report

“Jordan appreciates this good will gesture by the Bills as we continue to work for a contract extension.”

How would one assume they are dumping an extra 1.5 mil without hoping to keep him longer? hell they could of given him an extra 750k and it would of kept him happy for the rest of the year. what am i missing folks?

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

All depends on what he thinks he’s worth and if he’s willing to take less.  It’s on Poyer imo

Exactly.   In the simplest of terms, he will look at what he can get in the market and what the Bills will give him.   There will be a delta.  His agent will calculate for him how much money he will have when he retires.   By the end of this season, his total career earnings will be around $34 million.  Lose half in taxes, that's $17 million.   With the investment earnings, he has been able to spend maybe $1 million a year for the last eight years and still have $15 million banked, maybe better than that.  Say he can get a $15 million all-deal from the Bills next season, and $25 million someplace else.   After tax, that's eight or ten versus 12 or 15.    Maybe a net $10 million difference.   Maybe the two offers are twice that, so it's a net $20 million difference.  

Point is, that he's looking at retiring with $30 million or perhaps as much as $50 million.  Pretty big difference.   I mean, he can live very, very nicely on $30 million, because even spending $1 million a year, which is pretty hard to do, his net worth is going to grow a lot over his retirement.   But it's one thing for Josh, at his level, to give up $20 million, it's a different thing at Poyer's level.   It'll be his choice, but I think he's gone.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

We’ve gotta be right against the cap now then 

If the new incentives are scheduled to get paid for performance this year only if it exceeds his actual performance last year, then they are considered "not likely to be earned" incentives that, if earned this year, will count against NEXT year's salary cap.  If they don't get earned this year, they won't be paid, and will never count against the salary cap at all.

From https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/ :

"How do incentives affect the Salary Cap?  Incentives are written into some contracts to pay a player for reaching certain performance criteria.  Incentives come in two varieties – Likely To Be Earned (LTBE) and Not Likely To Be Earned (NLTBE) – each of which has different Salary Cap implications.

Likely To Be Earned Incentives (LTBE) are incentives based on performance levels that were reached in the prior season.  LTBEs count against the Salary Cap in the year they are scheduled.

For example, if a RB ran for 1,200 yards last year and he has an incentive that will pay him $100,000 if he runs for 1,000 yards this year, the incentive would be a LTBE Incentive and would count against the Salary Cap this year.

On the other hand, if the RB ran for 1,000 yards last year and he has an incentive that will pay him $100,000 if he runs for 1,200 yards this year, then incentive would be Not Likely To Be Earned (NLTBE) and would not count against this year’s Salary Cap.

If the player does not earn a LTBE Incentive, then the amount of the incentive ($100K in our example) will be credited against the following year’s Salary Cap and the team would have $100K in additional Cap space in the following year.

The opposite happens with NLTBE Incentives.  If those are earned, they are charged to the following year’s Salary Cap.  In our example, that would mean that the team would have $100K less in Cap space the following year."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah I mean it would make total sense to give more money to a player that they’re moving on from

More than anything, it shows that Beane wants to take care of the players that do things right.  Poyer has done everything right.  He got rewarded.  Maybe not rewarded like he was hoping for, but he wasn’t hung out to dry.

i think an extension will depends on how much he’s willing to accept.  If he wants 13-14M+ per year, he’s gone imo.  We have no clue what he’s looking for at this point, just that he wants to be compensated for his all pro play and wants to retire a bill.  If that is taking 22M gtd over the following 2 seasons, I think he may be back.  If he wants more, idk

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

An agents job is to look out for his best interest which includes many variables most importantly money.  Was Beane the highest bidder for Von Miller?

No the agents job is to close deals and make money while making their clients feel like their best interest is what’s at heart.

Don’t ever mistake this reality for what you said… not in sports, real estate or any negotiation situation. 

Also-  Beane nor Von revealed the details of those negotiations to me. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It is simply amazing how this franchise seems to do everything right.  

I don't think they're keeping Poyer.  But Beane knows how valuable he is, and he knows that having Poyer unhappy this season is not good for the team.  So, find a way to make him happy, a short-term deal that makes long-term cap sense.   

And it gives Rosenhaus a win for his client - puts money in his pocket in the short-term and preserves the opportunity for a big-payday for his client next season.  Or, frankly, for his client to decide that he's willing to take less to stay in Buffalo. 

It's just a perfect solution.   

And, it's one more thing that points to a possible deal, sometime, to keep Edmunds.  Knox is signed, Poyer is good for the short-term.  There may be room to pay Edmunds nicely and keep him in the middle. 

This place will absolutely meltdown if Edmunds gets a massive contract extension. 

Seems to me that this pretty much means Poyer won't be here next year. This deal keeps him happy and shows him the respect he deserves but if they truly planned on keeping him I think they would of just done an extension. Without it I think the tension would have started to build as the year went on. Great move by Beane and the Bills.

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

i mean, are some of us blind to the fact of this final line was in this report

“Jordan appreciates this good will gesture by the Bills as we continue to work for a contract extension.”

How would one assume they are dumping an extra 1.5 mil without hoping to keep him longer? hell they could of given him an extra 750k and it would of kept him happy for the rest of the year. what am i missing folks?

You're missing the players' egos.  Poyer can't show up in the locker room and celebrate with his teammates that he got an extra $750.   These guys think in millions of dollars, and anything less is chump change.   

To keep him happy in the short-term, Bills had to do something meaningful.  I mean, do you think Lamar Jackson is happy today?   Don't you think he would have been happier if the Ravens had thrown $5 million at him to stay focused this season?

And, although I think we all assume things about a guy's private life, things that are unfair and stereotypes, $1.5 million probably sounds pretty good to Mrs. Poyer and keeps her, for the time being, in warm and loving mood.  

This is $1.5 million to keep a smile on Poyer's face this season.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Exactly.   In the simplest of terms, he will look at what he can get in the market and what the Bills will give him.   There will be a delta.  His agent will calculate for him how much money he will have when he retires.   By the end of this season, his total career earnings will be around $34 million.  Lose half in taxes, that's $17 million.   With the investment earnings, he has been able to spend maybe $1 million a year for the last eight years and still have $15 million banked, maybe better than that.  Say he can get a $15 million all-deal from the Bills next season, and $25 million someplace else.   After tax, that's eight or ten versus 12 or 15.    Maybe a net $10 million difference.   Maybe the two offers are twice that, so it's a net $20 million difference.  

Point is, that he's looking at retiring with $30 million or perhaps as much as $50 million.  Pretty big difference.   I mean, he can live very, very nicely on $30 million, because even spending $1 million a year, which is pretty hard to do, his net worth is going to grow a lot over his retirement.   But it's one thing for Josh, at his level, to give up $20 million, it's a different thing at Poyer's level.   It'll be his choice, but I think he's gone.  

Awesome awesome post. My inner math nerd enjoyed this and puts things into perspective for fans saying, you already have $xx why does it matter.

Don't get me wrong these guys live very nice lives but they have big mortgages and car payments like everyone. Kids going to college. If you're trying to live off interest and keep your net worth, living off $1m a year is quite different than 1.5 or 2. Property tax in ny is proli wild. They spend a lot taking care of their body. 

Cool post! Thanks again

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

That’s what this whole negotiation was about. 
But she’s gonna need snow tires and chains soon.. (do people still do this there?)

The Poyers drive the Maserati Levante when it snows.

31 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Was Beane the highest bidder for Von Miller?

Yes. The Bills offer was for much more guaranteed and more years than the Rams and Cowboys. It wasn't close.

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

More than anything, it shows that Beane wants to take care of the players that do things right.

Exactly.

This is where Poyer reporting to camp and not making himself the center of attention has been rewarded. Poyer played the good soldier.

Had Poyer played the distraction/diva card this doesn't happen.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m good with Miller being the missing piece to a championship 

OBJ would think HE was the missing piece on the offense.  

And we really don’t need him IMHO 

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

odell who?

signed Isaiah McKenzie 

🙂

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You're missing the players' egos.  Poyer can't show up in the locker room and celebrate with his teammates that he got an extra $750.   These guys think in millions of dollars, and anything less is chump change.   

To keep him happy in the short-term, Bills had to do something meaningful.  I mean, do you think Lamar Jackson is happy today?   Don't you think he would have been happier if the Ravens had thrown $5 million at him to stay focused this season?

And, although I think we all assume things about a guy's private life, things that are unfair and stereotypes, $1.5 million probably sounds pretty good to Mrs. Poyer and keeps her, for the time being, in warm and loving mood.  

This is $1.5 million to keep a smile on Poyer's face this season.  

so you explain an aspect of this I would not understand, Finacial's is not my thing in football. my gut tells me the dude getting an extra 2 years and gone.  and again, they made it clear “Jordan appreciates this good will gesture by the Bills as we continue to work for a contract extension.

its not like the work is over. 

that being said, as always thanks for explaining that side of football to us.

2 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

This place will absolutely meltdown if Edmunds gets a massive contract extension. 

I know.

ds j

But Thursday night convinced me even more that we undervalue Edmunds.  Hyde said something about with the new pass rush, the safeties can wait longer before committing, and if I remember correctly he also made some oblique comment about not having to worry much about the stuff in front of them.   I heard that as a reference to Edmunds just occupying that space.   

Then I watched Baldy's video review of some of the plays, and he was talking about how Stafford was using his eyes to try to stick Edmunds on the underneath receiver to give himself room to get over Edmunds to throw to Kupp behind him.  Stafford actually was throwing no-look passes, trying to keep Edmunds shallow.  One was incomplete, the second was Poyer's interception.  The point is that you could see that the Rams were forced into low probability throws, simply because they had to account for Edmunds.   That's the kind of stuff that is obvious to coaches and GMs but not to us.   I don't study the all-22s in such detail to figure out that's what's going on, but as I listen to others I'm becoming more and more convinced that Edmunds is much bigger factor in this defense than I can see just watching the games.  

• Like (+1) 7

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If anyone had any doubt left, and honestly you should not have...Beane is the best GM in the NFL right now, and I don't think its even up for debate anymore.  This is just a class act move and show of total respect and appreciation for his players.  This is the kind of stuff that makes players want to come here, and I mean that seriously.  You don't see a lot of GM's do this kind of thing, especially for players who are 31.  

This is a fantastic move for the team, Poyer, and the commitment to the pursuit of a championship.  I could not love this move more to be honest.  It's a win win for everyone and Jordan has more than earned this and deserves this opportunity.  

Agreed. We need to keep Poyer happy this season, and this was great way to do it. I also hope/believe that this in fact means that they will let him walk after SB season, since I don't think we will be able to pay him following years. I love him as a player but we do have other priorities and you can't pay everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Keeps everyone happy and focused. I like it. Poyer has been one of the 2-3 best defenders on this team for a few years. He has earned it.

Poyer does whatever he needs to.  There was a play where they pulled a defense lineman and Poyer engaged offense lineman while lineman rushed around end.  Offense lineman looked at Poyer "Who do you think you are?" and Poyer pushed him further into pocket.  I was in a bar and another patron asked who that LB was and I told him it was our starting safety.  His response: "A safety?"

Now if Teflon Tom can give him his marriage counselor's phone number it will be perfect.

Edited by Limeaid
Duplicate post
  • Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Better keep some for Odell 

He pays to play

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I know.

ds j

But Thursday night convinced me even more that we undervalue Edmunds.  Hyde said something about with the new pass rush, the safeties can wait longer before committing, and if I remember correctly he also made some oblique comment about not having to worry much about the stuff in front of them.   I heard that as a reference to Edmunds just occupying that space.   

Then I watched Baldy's video review of some of the plays, and he was talking about how Stafford was using his eyes to try to stick Edmunds on the underneath receiver to give himself room to get over Edmunds to throw to Kupp behind him.  Stafford actually was throwing no-look passes, trying to keep Edmunds shallow.  One was incomplete, the second was Poyer's interception.  The point is that you could see that the Rams were forced into low probability throws, simply because they had to account for Edmunds.   That's the kind of stuff that is obvious to coaches and GMs but not to us.   I don't study the all-22s in such detail to figure out that's what's going on, but as I listen to others I'm becoming more and more convinced that Edmunds is much bigger factor in this defense than I can see just watching the games.  

but come on, people saw him somewhere on the tv screen during that one bad play… he must be terrible 🙄 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.