Bills sign Jordan Poyer to new deal with increased incentives, continue to work toward extension

YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think Rosenhause is more nuanced.  Certainly if the guy is a FA he's "get him the most money" kind of guy.

His options are more limited while his guy is under contract for the current season, but that's a nice "good behavior award" for Poyer going out there and putting his body on the line and balling out.

There's also money post retirement to be made, and a super bowl winner I would think makes that bigger.

Also, this team tries and gets players their incentives in terms of opportunities (see Diggs playing last game last year) and scheme (though think the incentives are likely aligned to scheme). 

What I'm saying is, Poyer hitting his incentives makes him more money next year. The Bills just committed to helping him hit those incentives by giving him opportunities. He hits the incentives, he'll make more money on his next deal...don't think that deal is going to be in Buffalo though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

This will be the real question. Is she happy? I don't do the Twitter thing. Has she posted anything yet?🤣

haha yeah right? I mean it is gonna happen. Her man will earn those  incentives. It was a Buffalo Bills show of respect peace offering. She better like it. Or she can hush her beak shut her tweet whatever.  (shut the tweet up) STTU

lol

Edited by muppy
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Awesome awesome post. My inner math nerd enjoyed this and puts things into perspective for fans saying, you already have $xx why does it matter.

Don't get me wrong these guys live very nice lives but they have big mortgages and car payments like everyone. Kids going to college. If you're trying to live off interest and keep your net worth, living off $1m a year is quite different than 1.5 or 2. Property tax in ny is proli wild. They spend a lot taking care of their body. 

Cool post! Thanks again

Thanks for the comment.  

Yeah, I know that living off $2 million a year is different from $1 million, and for some people it matters, but for most it doesn't.  I've worked with a lot of people with wealth, and I'll tell you that I didn't have any clients who could find a way to spend more than $1 million after tax.    I know you can, and I know that for a lot of athletes, they want to live the the jetset life, but for most they learn sooner or later that they aren't going to do that, that they don't even want to.  By the time they're 30, they're settling down.   

Look at Poyer.   He has a wife.  He has a kid.  He's a reformed alcoholic.   Those are three things that are important to him that are likely to make him much less interested in flying around the country going to parties all the time.  He probably is at the point that he sees there isn't much point in owning eight hot cars.    Living on 4% of $30 million, his net worth will grow year after, paying for college for his children will be purely incidental.  

But, as I said, it's one thing for Allen down the road to give the Bills a $20 million discount; it's completely different for a guy earning at Poyer's level.   My guess is that the Bills won't get close enough to keep him.   The $20 million will be too big for him to swallow.   

From the Bills' point of view, it's completely different.   From their point of view, there has to be constant turnover from older to younger, and the only guys you want to keep to their retirement are your pure leadership guys.    Your really good contributors have to be replaced by younger guys in order to continue to be successful.  We saw the Bills grooming Jaquan Johnson as Poyer's successor this summer.  And I think Taron Johnson may actually be the successor, and someone like Benford will move over to take over Taron Johnson's nickel role.  

Bottom line, I think Poyer is the first really good guy we're going to watch the Bills let walk.  He will be McBeane's Lawyer Milloy. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Rosenhaus suggestion was if he gets one int this season he earns the full $2 mil.

Oh Wait!

I was just about to say… in other news, Poyer has already earned his incentive by playing in 1 game and intercepting one pass. I’d almost guarantee it’s a lock he gets the incentive. 

31 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No the agents job is to close deals and make money while making their clients feel like their best interest is what’s at heart.

Don’t ever mistake this reality for what you said… not in sports, real estate or any negotiation situation. 

Also-  Beane nor Von revealed the details of those negotiations to me. 

Take it easy fella.  But you are only party right here but mostly wrong 

51 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

your NUTS. They dont give him more money this year just to let him go. they give him more money this year to add years to his contract.

You’re nuts if you don’t think they could give money to a guy they then won’t resign.  There is reason to do it for this year which is for only this year.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It is simply amazing how this franchise seems to do everything right.  

I don't think they're keeping Poyer.  But Beane knows how valuable he is, and he knows that having Poyer unhappy this season is not good for the team.  So, find a way to make him happy, a short-term deal that makes long-term cap sense.   

And it gives Rosenhaus a win for his client - puts money in his pocket in the short-term and preserves the opportunity for a big-payday for his client next season.  Or, frankly, for his client to decide that he's willing to take less to stay in Buffalo. 

It's just a perfect solution.   

And, it's one more thing that points to a possible deal, sometime, to keep Edmunds.  Knox is signed, Poyer is good for the short-term.  There may be room to pay Edmunds nicely and keep him in the middle. 

We still have potentially Oliver to pay and Gabe not too long after too though.

47 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Bolded, i have not read anything to this being true or false and because so this looks like an assumption on your part. IF it is true im 100% behind you on this

What do you think they started talking on Friday?  It was probably verbally done before the game.  

33 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

i mean, are some of us blind to the fact of this final line was in this report

“Jordan appreciates this good will gesture by the Bills as we continue to work for a contract extension.”

How would one assume they are dumping an extra 1.5 mil without hoping to keep him longer? hell they could of given him an extra 750k and it would of kept him happy for the rest of the year. what am i missing folks?

What they said is true.  They will continue to work for a contract extension.   Of course, they will.   What it means is that they're all going to wait until next February to see whether they can agree on an extension.   The door is still open.   

What we're talking about is the reality of the situation.   They didn't extend yet for one reason - Poyer wants more than the Bills are currently willing to offer.   Next February, everyone will reconsider their positions and they'll talk again.   Maybe the Bills win a Super Bowl and Poyer tells his agent, "just get me the best deal in Buffalo, because I'm staying."  Or, "get me at least $X in Buffalo and I'll stay."   Or, get me the best deal anywhere, and I'm going."   The Bills, on other hand, aren't likely to change their view very much.   They already know how good he is, which is very good, but he's not going to turn into Ed Reed.  They know what their long-term plan has to be at that position.  They know how much cap room they have.   

In other words, Poyer is buying time to have decide whether he wants what Buffalo is offering.   The money this year is short-term, to keep him happy, and Poyer and his agent decided that this package does it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a move that shows respect towards Jordan. I still think it is likely a precursor to him playing elsewhere in 2023.

Definitely doesn’t guarantee anything past this year, but keeps Jordan happy and focused on at least the rest of this season.  Moves like this shows others that Beane will take care of performers, as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

We still have potentially Oliver to pay and Gabe not too long after too though.

Yup.  It's the price of success.   

But the Patriots wrote the playbook on this stuff.   Once they had their QB and a successful culture, part of the drill to stay on top was to have the discipline to let people walk.   You simply can't sign everyone you'd like to keep.  You have to be continually grooming the next young guy to take over.  The list of guys the Patriots let walk is amazing.

So, I simply will not assume that either Oliver or Davis is certain to get a second deal.   I think what the Bills will be doing is trying to project whether those guys are long-term locker room leaders.   Frankly, I don't think Oliver has shown that.   If he doesn't project as a long-term locker room leader, then the Bills wont' give him a big-time deal.   Look at White.   In his case, they made the projection and said, "yes, he's a keeper.   We want him here long-term."   Oliver on his rookie deal has not made himself a presence on the team the way White did.  And Oliver was a much higher draft pick, which is just a comment on what the Bills expected of him.  He hasn't reached those expectations, not like White did.  

We have to get used to the fact that this team is being run in ways that are different from what we've all been used to.   In the drought, we always were desperate to keep talent, because there simply wasn't enough to begin with.   That mentality is gone.   Now, the mentality is to be selective about what talent to keep, and do it in ways that allows you to maximize the quality of young talent you bring in behind them.  So, as much as I hate saying, the comp picks discussion actually is important now.  Those comp picks help fill the pipeline with young talent.  

We're not used to this mentality, because we've never been in this position before.   Bottom line, be prepared to see some people go who look like stars to us.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Yup.  It's the price of success.   

But the Patriots wrote the playbook on this stuff.   Once they had their QB and a successful culture, part of the drill to stay on top was to have the discipline to let people walk.   You simply can't sign everyone you'd like to keep.  You have to be continually grooming the next young guy to take over.  The list of guys the Patriots let walk is amazing.

So, I simply will not assume that either Oliver or Davis is certain to get a second deal.   I think what the Bills will be doing is trying to project whether those guys are long-term locker room leaders.   Frankly, I don't think Oliver has shown that.   If he doesn't project as a long-term locker room leader, then the Bills wont' give him a big-time deal.   Look at White.   In his case, they made the projection and said, "yes, he's a keeper.   We want him here long-term."   Oliver on his rookie deal has not made himself a presence on the team the way White did.  And Oliver was a much higher draft pick, which is just a comment on what the Bills expected of him.  He hasn't reached those expectations, not like White did.  

We have to get used to the fact that this team is being run in ways that are different from what we've all been used to.   In the drought, we always were desperate to keep talent, because there simply wasn't enough to begin with.   That mentality is gone.   Now, the mentality is to be selective about what talent to keep, and do it in ways that allows you to maximize the quality of young talent you bring in behind them.  So, as much as I hate saying, the comp picks discussion actually is important now.  Those comp picks help fill the pipeline with young talent.  

We're not used to this mentality, because we've never been in this position before.   Bottom line, be prepared to see some people go who look like stars to us.  

Yup, I am fully expecting that we will soon see good players leave the Bills.  Cant pay everyone.  Just have to keep drafting and developing well.

I don't think they're continuing negotiation, at least not genuinely.

I think this was the move to save face for the Poyer side since he sat out. Poyer wants to play, but father time is catching up and he's outplaying his contract. But cap issues are real and too many other guys to resign. It's not good business to resign him to a large contract nor pay him for retroactive performance.

This was a goodwill gesture from the Bills. Here's a bit more money, go to the media and make it look like you didn't back down, let's win a Super Bowl this year, and you'll get a nice 2 or 3 year deal from the Jaguars or some other bottom feeder next year that you can spend the downside of your career with. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.