Bills sign Jordan Poyer to new deal with increased incentives, continue to work toward extension

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a move that shows respect towards Jordan. I still think it is likely a precursor to him playing elsewhere in 2023.

I tend to agree with you.

The only thing that is the complete wildcard as to what ultimately happens with players starting next year will be the new cap structure.

The more I read, the more I am believing it will indeed explode between 2023 and 2026.  There are many articles saying that by 2026 the

cap should be at a minimum of $300M.  Beane and the other GMs must know way more than we do about this.

It's going to be an interesting off season this year!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good move by Beane.

I have no idea if it will mean they can, or will, re-sign Poyer to a new deal next year, but I do like the message it sends out, which is basically 'we will try and take care of you if you perform'.

Tbh, I think, providing Poyer doesn't have excessive demands, they might be able to get him and Edmunds done next off-season, especially now they have got Knox inked for the future.

While I think Poyer will be capable of playing in diverse schemes, if I was him, I'd be looking very closely at the guaranteed $ on any new contract negotiations. At this stage of a career, I think that's as important as anything, as it's almost certainly going to be his last one.

If the Bills match guarantees, even if the total is different, I'd be thinking that it's better the devil you know, rather than chasing a bigger number that might not happen.

Too often we see guys move around for supposedly huge contracts, only to see them cut well before they can earn the money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Take it easy fella.  But you are only party right here but mostly wrong 

Take what easy ?…  Who doesn’t like fairytales of benevolent sports agents? It sounds nice.  But I stand by my point and don’t think you sign Drew if you don’t plan on testing the market to maximize $ and that’s fine, but I expect that to be elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yup.  It's the price of success.   

But the Patriots wrote the playbook on this stuff.   Once they had their QB and a successful culture, part of the drill to stay on top was to have the discipline to let people walk.   You simply can't sign everyone you'd like to keep.  You have to be continually grooming the next young guy to take over.  The list of guys the Patriots let walk is amazing.

So, I simply will not assume that either Oliver or Davis is certain to get a second deal.   I think what the Bills will be doing is trying to project whether those guys are long-term locker room leaders.   Frankly, I don't think Oliver has shown that.   If he doesn't project as a long-term locker room leader, then the Bills wont' give him a big-time deal.   Look at White.   In his case, they made the projection and said, "yes, he's a keeper.   We want him here long-term."   Oliver on his rookie deal has not made himself a presence on the team the way White did.  And Oliver was a much higher draft pick, which is just a comment on what the Bills expected of him.  He hasn't reached those expectations, not like White did.  

We have to get used to the fact that this team is being run in ways that are different from what we've all been used to.   In the drought, we always were desperate to keep talent, because there simply wasn't enough to begin with.   That mentality is gone.   Now, the mentality is to be selective about what talent to keep, and do it in ways that allows you to maximize the quality of young talent you bring in behind them.  So, as much as I hate saying, the comp picks discussion actually is important now.  Those comp picks help fill the pipeline with young talent.  

We're not used to this mentality, because we've never been in this position before.   Bottom line, be prepared to see some people go who look like stars to us.  

The Bills have no intention of letting Oliver out of the building. Beane said as early as the post KC presser that he was going to pick up the 5th year option and then when they did that he said to Brown and Tasker "Ed is here this year and next year and hopefully a good while longer." I always say it but Brandon Beane tells you things when he speaks. I'm not always sure he intends to be as honest as he is, but he doesn't give the canned GM answers very often. Of course things can change but as of right now I think Ed Oliver is absolutely their #1 priority contract for next offseason. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

While the signing of OBJ has some panache sound to it I highly doubt that it is really on Beane’s radar.  Diggs and Davis are an exceptional #1 & #2 who have chemistry with Josh.  Crowder, less the one interception play, looked solid. Li’ Dirty has chemistry with Josh. Shakir has flashed and The Bills will likely find him touches as the season goes on. The Bills roster is deep and OBJ would simply be another mouth to feed.

Totally agree. The only way obj makes sense  is if Diggs or Davis are injured long term and out for the season

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills have no intention of letting Oliver out of the building. Beane said as early as the post KC presser that he was going to pick up the 5th year option and then when they did that he said to Brown and Tasker "Ed is here this year and next year and hopefully a good while longer." I always say it but Brandon Beane tells you things when he speaks. I'm not always sure he intends to be as honest as he is, but he doesn't give the canned GM answers very often. Of course things can change but as of right now I think Ed Oliver is absolutely their #1 priority contract for next offseason. 

Thanks.  You follow it more closely than I, so I'll take that as the likely outcome.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I tend to agree with you.

The only thing that is the complete wildcard as to what ultimately happens with players starting next year will be the new cap structure.

The more I read, the more I am believing it will indeed explode between 2023 and 2026.  There are many articles saying that by 2026 the

cap should be at a minimum of $300M.  Beane and the other GMs must know way more than we do about this.

It's going to be an interesting off season this year!

I really don't think projected changes in the cap will make a lot of difference in a decision like this.  It's as much about continuing roster development as it is about cap room.   If you want to stay on top, you can't let your roster get old.  As it is, I think someone had a thread saying the Bills have the fifth oldest roster in the league.  You have to keep renewing your roster with younger guys, so you have to keep moving people out.  You want to keep only a small core of senior leadership, and maybe room for a couple of ringers, guys like Saffold.  

So if the Bills have extra cap room, they'll save it to land big time free agents, either coming off their rookie deals or coming onto the market for other reasons, like Miller.  

And I'd guess there's one more reason he's gone, and that they won't want their two safeties getting old together, because that would mean that they would have to replace both safeties at the same time.  They'd much rather keep one (Hyde, I'm sure) and give him a couple of seasons to play beside Poyer's replacement.   That way, when Hyde goes, Poyer's replacement will be a veteran, and he can train Hyde's replacement.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this 1000%. I mean Beane isn't above playing his cards close to the vest Behind the scenes in his dealings with agents and player draft picks. He won't blurt out PRIVATE Confidential information in public. But otherwise I find he VERY candid and honest. I think he is brilliant at his job too btw. I listen carefully to what he does say. There is no intent to give baloney smoke filled answers to direct questions when he is interviewed. That's what I think. m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I mean it was not like in preseason OLine rankings the Bills were considered top 5 and were considered to have top depth, but keep believing what you want.  

Look around the league at OLine depth and you might understand why Beane is able to consistently trade off OLine depth - because they accumulate some of the best depth across the league.  You may hate Hart, but as a #4 guard he is excellent depth.

I think this is you not really getting the lack of OLine talent in the league.  Hart, Van Roten, Quisenberry have all been starters even up to last year in the league - that is something almost no other team has across the league.

You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I really don't think projected changes in the cap will make a lot of difference in a decision like this.  It's as much about continuing roster development as it is about cap room.   If you want to stay on top, you can't let your roster get old.  As it is, I think someone had a thread saying the Bills have the fifth oldest roster in the league.  You have to keep renewing your roster with younger guys, so you have to keep moving people out.  You want to keep only a small core of senior leadership, and maybe room for a couple of ringers, guys like Saffold.  

So if the Bills have extra cap room, they'll save it to land big time free agents, either coming off their rookie deals or coming onto the market for other reasons, like Miller.  

And I'd guess there's one more reason he's gone, and that they won't want their two safeties getting old together, because that would mean that they would have to replace both safeties at the same time.  They'd much rather keep one (Hyde, I'm sure) and give him a couple of seasons to play beside Poyer's replacement.   That way, when Hyde goes, Poyer's replacement will be a veteran, and he can train Hyde's replacement.  

I agreed that Poyer is most likely gone.  As to my comments on cap I just meant that a larger increase would enable Beane to keep a 

couple more of the UFAs he has coming up.  I also agree with the way the safeties probably role over.

I don't totally agree about Beane bringing in some high dollar FAs next year.  I think he uses his money to re-sign his own FAs.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Take what easy ?…  Who doesn’t like fairytales of benevolent sports agents? It sounds nice.  But I stand by my point and don’t think you sign Drew if you don’t plan on testing the market to maximize $ and that’s fine, but I expect that to be elsewhere. 

You are so wise and intelligent.  Get over yourself

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agreed that Poyer is most likely gone.  As to my comments on cap I just meant that a larger increase would enable Beane to keep a 

couple more of the UFAs he has coming up.  I also agree with the way the safeties probably role over.

I don't totally agree about Beane bringing in some high dollar FAs next year.  I think he uses his money to re-sign his own FAs.

I hear you.  I really don't study the cap like a lot of you guys, so I wasn't talking particularly about next year.   I was talking more in general terms, that he won't generally spend cap dollars to keep too many older guys who aren't core leaders on the team.   He has to keep working on a youth movement all the time.  All I meant was that by saving the money he could spend on a guy like Poyer, the saved money gives him the flexibility to move, from time to time, on a big free agent to bolster the team, a free agent like Miller.  

So, just because he has more money to spend, it doesn't necessarily mean he keeps more UFA, because some of those UFAs will have the unwanted effect of aging the roster.   

It's all a huge balancing act, or better, a juggling act.  Beane's constantly weighing short-term team needs, long-term team needs,  cap space available each year, age of the roster, and how much Rachel Bush needs for her next procedure.  

30 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Oh like you wouldn’t buy her a Lamborghini 

Or two. 

• Haha (+1) 1

A lot of talk about the Bills doing this to “keep him quiet” or “knowing he’s leaving”. 

The Bills may or may not re-sign Poyer. But make no bones about this, the Bills are doing this because they want to try and keep him. They are willing to lose $2M this year even if he doesn’t.

But it’s certainly not paying $2M just to make Poyer shut up. They’re doing their best to keep him. Full stop. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Mango said:

A lot of talk about the Bills doing this to “keep him quiet” or “knowing he’s leaving”. 

The Bills may or may not re-sign Poyer. But make no bones about this, the Bills are doing this because they want to try and keep him. They are willing to lose $2M this year even if he doesn’t.

But it’s certainly not paying $2M just to make Poyer shut up. They’re doing their best to keep him. Full stop. 

never read about keeping him quiet. I thought it was a short term and decent reward for his solid play and hope for another great season from him
 seemed like the right thing to do from Beanes 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.