Bills cuts

Chandler#81

1 minute ago, wppete said:

I thought Beane would be pulling some trades by now. Guess the whole Araiza situation was a major distraction. 

In or out? In terms of in, I don't think we need anyone other than a punter who we'll pick up via free agency or waivers. In terms of out, I doubt teams will be looking to trade now - they'll want to see who we cut first.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

In or out? In terms of in, I don't think we need anyone other than a punter who we'll pick up via free agency or waivers. In terms of out, I doubt teams will be looking to trade now - they'll want to see who we cut first.

The whole idea of trades at this time of the year has to do with 2 exceptions.

1.  Teams way down the waiver list sometimes do a trade for a player they know will get claimed above them.

2.  Vet cuts allow a vet to choose where he goes.  A trade locks him into the trading team.

Doesn't happen too often, but it does make sense at times.

• Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I  rewatched Anderson on each play of the first drive against the Panthers, Doyle never looked that good paying OT. Small sample size, I know. But it is the reason I'm wondering. 

Doyle was a draft pick and a project.

McDermott & Beane give a lot of their draft picks a chance to make the team. They want to coach them up and turn that raw talent into a starter.

Doyle may not be there yet, but he'll get his chances.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The whole idea of trades at this time of the year has to do with 2 exceptions.

1.  Teams way down the waiver list sometimes do a trade for a player they know will get claimed above them.

2.  Vet cuts allow a vet to choose where he goes.  A trade locks him into the trading team.

Doesn't happen too often, but it does make sense at times.

Thanks.

I bet the 49ers would love to trade Garoppolo to prevent him from ending up at the Seahawks.

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Thanks.

I bet the 49ers would love to trade Garoppolo to prevent him from ending up at the Seahawks.

I hope the Seahawks get him. Only for fantasy purposes. I have Tyler Lockett who I got super late in one of my drafts. I have incredibly low hopes for him with either of the schmucks that the Seahawks have behind center right now.

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I hope the Seahawks get him. Only for fantasy purposes. I have Tyler Lockett who I got super late in one of my drafts. I have incredibly low hopes for him with either of the schmucks that the Seahawks have behind center right now.

According to Rappaport, Garoppolo doesn't want to go there - perhaps due to leftover loyalty to the 49ers. Not like he has got many other options though; presume he'll (and the 49ers) will wait until a QB goes down.

Edited by UKBillFan
Spelling error

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I love these posts. NFL executives who entire job is tough decision after tough decision suddenly can't make any other decisions, while making a tough decision

Or people act like their is only one guy  in the whole front office.

Edited by mob16151

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Accoridng to Rappaport, Garoppolo doesn't want to go there - perhaps due to leftover loyalty to the 49ers. Not like he has got many other options though; presume he'll (and the 49ers) will wait until a QB goes down.

Are the 49ers going to keep him past cuts? Seems very weird way to use a roster spot when your intention is to compete for a Super Bowl.

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

Are the 49ers going to keep him past cuts? Seems very weird way to use a roster spot when your intention is to compete for a Super Bowl.

I reckon so, because his guaranteed salary doesn't kick in until September, and they'll probably do something with IR to keep the players they want.

They'll ask him to renegotiate his contract long term if they keep him as back up; if he refuses then I imagine they'll cut him before the guarantee date, whilst hoping a QB goes down at a Super Bowl chasing team in the mean time.

Just now, UKBillFan said:

I reckon so, because his guaranteed salary doesn't kick in until September, and they'll probably do something with IR to keep the players they want.

They'll ask him to renegotiate his contract long term if they keep him as back up; if he refuses then I imagine they'll cut him before the guarantee date, whilst hoping a QB goes down at a Super Bowl chasing team in the mean time.

Not to argue your point, but if you are a Super Bowl chasing team and your best option is to pick up Jimmy Garoppolo, you are no longer chasing a Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Not to argue your point, but if you are a Super Bowl chasing team and your best option is to pick up Jimmy Garoppolo, you are no longer chasing a Super Bowl.

Perhaps a play off chasing team then - if Tannehill or Ryan picks up an injury, for example.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well, 52. They have to sign a punter once they are done. But I suppose they can keep an extra guy until they do that. 

They don't "have" to sign a punter,but they will.

Per NFL rules they DO have to get down to 53 by tomorrow,punter or not. Most of us assume they will sign a punter. 

4 minutes ago, Georgie said:

They don't "have" to sign a punter,but they will.

Per NFL rules they DO have to get down to 53 by tomorrow,punter or not. Most of us assume they will sign a punter. 

I think most people assume they will not sign a punter for the initial 53.  Use that space like a cut veteran to get someone to IR. 

I would assume Wednesday or Thursday they will sign a punter when they have opened up additional spots.

I expect Doyle and Stevenson to go to IR with at minimum Doyle being on recall IR.  

We will also see about the Morris injury and if that becomes an IR/recall need.

They will sign a veteran punter and give them about 1 week to get ready and work with Bass and Ferguson.

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Thanks.

No such luck with a trade IMO.  Not sure what they were wanting earlier in the year but it's too late now.

Nobody wants that contract now.  The only way would be some sort of trade with a "salary dump" like in hockey, LOL.

19 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

But if a DB makes an interception that I could have made, he would have been in the Super Bowl last year.

• Agree 1

I suspect these are cuts that are not priority for resigning to the PS. Those they will save for a mass cutdown in hopes they will get lost in the wash with the hundreds of others being cut at the same time around the league. 

20 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think most people assume they will not sign a punter for the initial 53.  Use that space like a cut veteran to get someone to IR. 

I would assume Wednesday or Thursday they will sign a punter when they have opened up additional spots.

I expect Doyle and Stevenson to go to IR with at minimum Doyle being on recall IR.  

We will also see about the Morris injury and if that becomes an IR/recall need.

They will sign a veteran punter and give them about 1 week to get ready and work with Bass and Ferguson.

Stevenson is fairly close to getting back. I doubt he will go on a season long IR list. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.