Bills cuts

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

Hee haw was to country music what Lawrence Welk was to jazz.

and a one-ah and a two-ah...

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Best thing about hee haw was the women

I was probably 10 years old when that was on in syndication. Not quite ready for the ladies who also would have been older than my parents at that point IRL. LOL

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Good thread by Sal C. reviewing the roster rules wrt IR before the 53 man deadline, after the 53 man deadline, PUP, waivers and all that stuff

I guess I don't see the reason why you wouldn't use PUP instead of IR right now. They seem about the same except you don't have to wait to put them on the list and they won't count against the 53 man roster. For IR, they are out for the season if you put them on right now, so they have to make the initial 53 man roster if you want them back after 4 games.

So why would you ever put a player on IR and not the PUP list unless you know they will be out for the season?

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I guess I don't see the reason why you wouldn't use PUP instead of IR right now. They seem about the same except you don't have to wait to put them on the list and they won't count against the 53 man roster. For IR, they are out for the season if you put them on right now, so they have to make the initial 53 man roster if you want them back after 4 games.

So why would you ever put a player on IR and not the PUP list unless you know they will be out for the season?

Because they had to be put on PUP when camp started which limits the types of players that can go there. Tre is already on PUP and can thus stay there. Quentin Morris got hurt today but has participated in camp and preseason so he's not eligible for PUP, only IR. Stevenson is the same situation.

12 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Because they had to be put on PUP when camp started which limits the types of players that can go there. Tre is already on PUP and can thus stay there. Quentin Morris got hurt today but has participated in camp and preseason so he's not eligible for PUP, only IR. Stevenson is the same situation.

Ok, so it had to be before camp.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Ok, so it had to be before camp.

Yea once someone has practiced they can't go on PUP. At that stage IR is the only option. But in a Tre White like scenario the way the rules are now there is not much difference between the Bills PUP listing him and IR'ing him if they don't think he can contribute those first 4 weeks.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea once someone has practiced they can't go on PUP. At that stage IR is the only option. But in a Tre White like scenario the way the rules are now there is not much difference between the Bills PUP listing him and IR'ing him if they don't think he can contribute those first 4 weeks.

Not much difference between PUP and IR for him, but quite a big for the Bills, if I understand it correctly. If we IR him, he needs to get on original 53. If we PUP him, he doesn't have to, so we can keep one more player (without need to cut him, eat possible dead money and then sign him again).

Right?

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Not much difference between PUP and IR for him, but quite a big for the Bills, if I understand it correctly. If we IR him, he needs to get on original 53. If we PUP him, he doesn't have to, so we can keep one more player (without need to cut him, eat possible dead money and then sign him again).

Right?

Yes good point. I was meaning it more that there is no advantage to IR over PUP which there used to be because PUP was 6 weeks and IR was 3.... but you are right now they are both 4 weeks the advantage is actually with PUP for the roster management reason you set out.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

PUP can only be used if a player has not passed a physical to play prior to training camp.

So Tre White and Ike were injured coming into camp and have not passed a physical and therefore are PUP eligible.

Tommy Doyle and Stevenson were both injured in camp after passing the initial physical and therefore are only eligible for IR designation- either full year or short term depending upon when the team wants to use it.

Edited by Rochesterfan

52 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Right?

This is correct and was a major change the NFL implemented this year.  Previously- PUP was 6 weeks and IR was 4, but they adjusted the rules to mirror each other more closely.

The PUP versus IR is a big difference for the team though as Ike moving to reserve PUP last week freed up a spot without losing him for the season.  It is why I also think White ends up there as it saves a spot.

For Doyle, Stevenson, and Morris - they will need to be on the active 53 man roster and then moved to IR if they want them to come back.  That is one reason I do not expect them to sign a punter until Wednesday - giving them an extra spot.  

Maybe even a veteran cut with one year left and then a re-sign to give a roster spot (usually a Jones or Kumerow type player).

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is correct and was a major change the NFL implemented this year.  Previously- PUP was 6 weeks and IR was 4, but they adjusted the rules to mirror each other more closely.

The PUP versus IR is a big difference for the team though as Ike moving to reserve PUP last week freed up a spot without losing him for the season.  It is why I also think White ends up there as it saves a spot.

For Doyle, Stevenson, and Morris - they will need to be on the active 53 man roster and then moved to IR if they want them to come back.  That is one reason I do not expect them to sign a punter until Wednesday - giving them an extra spot.  

Maybe even a veteran cut with one year left and then a re-sign to give a roster spot (usually a Jones or Kumerow type player).

Ok thanks.

I think that White won't be ready soon so he goes to PUP. Do you know if he can start training with the team sooner then in W5 (i.e. when not activated from PUP)?

As for others, if Doyle needs to be IRed he will temporarily use that punter spot. I don't think they will bother with Stevenson that much, he might be just cut. Morris is questionable - if they wanted him on 53, they will need to find a temporary roster spot. In that case, someone needs to be cut and resigned. But it won't be Jones - he has 600k dead money. Ferguson and Kumerow seem like prime candidates (if Kumerow makes it).

10 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

And so it begins!

Anyway, it's really interesting that they cut him before Blackshear. Curious if it means something...

prob just a courtesy to a vet player to start reaching out to teams. I don’t doubt that the Bills want him on the PS since RBs have the highest injury rate 

• Like (+1) 1

• Chandler#81 changed the title to Bills cuts -updating with todays cuts from page 6
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.