Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

so you aren’t hanging your assessment of his participation in the second set of events heavily on it being “very odd” to hook up with her earlier and then leave?

Not entirely. It is among the things that point to that.

Just now, Warcodered said:

He hasn't come out and said any of that, it's claimed that he basically confirmed having sex with her via a pretext call the police had her do with him. From his side he hasn't acknowledged having sex with her at all, and it's only his lawyer citing having witnesses to her telling people she was 18.

Matt Araiza has not been charged with a crime, but he has already admitted to one.  Sal Maiorana, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

1 hour ago, wppete said:

What happened? What did I miss?

Taking the Bills to task for not getting rid of him sooner, when they first heard of this case in June.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not seeing him play ever again, especially in a nationally televised game... OR SuperBowl and all of San Diego rallying around "the local connection" could be mighty painful if what she was saying is true.   Here's supposedly the guy that after six led you to an attack... And now he's  making millions. 

Just saying.  Poetic justice that he's ruined now.  He ruined her. Now she's ruining him. 

Hell hath no fury... 

If that was the goal.

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

There’s a lot of debate about that. But it does take a long time to go from rape to charges filed sometimes. It was mentioned earlier 10 months is about the timeline and that’s where it’s at. 
Those phone recordings are probably the biggest key to all of this. 
I would like to see a transcript of those calls one day vs what her recollection was in the lawsuit and see if/what the differences are. 

The whole thing was bad and ugly, but her recollection of what was said on those phone calls is what killed him in the public. 

The calls are inadmissible in criminal/ civil court.  Califotnia is a two party stste.

if no warrant was issued for the recordings to occur and they get released by her attorney then she and her lawyer can get sued. The police can never release that recording or put it in the public record.

if they do and they did not have a warrant it was illegally obtained evidence and they will be subject to ethics/ legal violations

2 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

Matt Araiza has not been charged with a crime, but he has already admitted to one.  Sal Maiorana, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

He hasn't admitted to that, that is the recollection of the pretext call being used in the lawsuit by the victim. Maybe that is true but as it stands it is currently disputed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He hasn't admitted to that, that is the recollection of the pretext call being used in the lawsuit by the victim. Maybe that is true but as it stands it is currently disputed.

you give me faith.  in a thread where people who raise factual points are being teed off on by people with opposing viewpoints, you persist in calmly pointing out the fact: the lawsuit is a set of allegations, even if they are stated and set forth as factual and refer to recorded calls (which the police, not the plaintiff, have). 

If the lawsuit states Araiza said that on tape, at this point it is still an allegation

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You may be right. I read Sal's article.  It sure looks like he said he had sex with her but he really didn't think it was anything but consensual sex with some college girl. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

The rape kit has nothing to do with it.  Rape kits are useless when they already know who was there and what happened.  That is why they are frequently not tested for months or ever.  The narrative that there is a national problem testing rape kits is exaggerated by the media.  It is primarily for unsolved cases where police have little information.  Which is quite common.

This case is actually pretty simple.  It is about consent.  The rape kit is irrelevant here.  Nobody is disputing who was there or whether sex was involved.  It is about two issues.  1) Was the sex consensual?  2) Did the woman do or say anything that would have led a reasonable person to believe she was the age of consent?  

The DA does not need rape kit results to bring charges. A DA may not even want the results because often jurors acquit on a lack of DNA alone.

Where a rape kit actually is useful is catching people where a person is raped and they have no idea who may have raped the person. Frequently they can tie cases together and solve other cases.

The rape kit will include observations with respect to any injury inconsistent with consensual intercourse. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

The rape kit will include observations with respect to any injury inconsistent with consensual intercourse. 

The kit includes observations, but this is often just another problem with rape kits.  Injuries inconsistent with consensual intercourse are frequently used to portray victims as promiscuous women who like rough sex or lots of partners.  Rape kits are frequently a defense attorney's best friend.  If the DNA doesn't match or there is no DNA left behind, the defense attorney holds all the cards.

Rape kits really are not that tough to test.  Frequently they go untested because the DA already knows the answer and it does not help the case.

Edited by Bills2022

50 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

The kit includes observations, but this is often just another problem with rape kits.  Injuries inconsistent with consensual intercourse are frequently used to portray victims as promiscuous women who like rough sex or lots of partners.  Rape kits are frequently a defense attorney's best friend.  If the DNA doesn't match or there is no DNA left behind, the defense attorney holds all the cards.

Rape kits really are not that tough to test.  Frequently they go untested because the DA already knows the answer and it does not help the case.

I’d be surprised if that was the case here.  The allegation is a gang rape. Report of leg bruising and belly button damage are consistent with that claim.  If rape kit shows vaginal tearing and DNA mix, the. I don’t see how that isn’t supportive or relevant.  So, yes, I agree that there are times when the rape kit is ignored bc physical exam and investigation suggest DNA testing is a waste of resources.  But this doesn’t strike me as such a case. 

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

She said on June 3rd when she went public to the media that she was doing so explicitly bc she doesn't want him to play in the NFL and make money. And what she wants isn't money but accountability.

If true, that is still bad thinking on her part or bad advice because she could have had both.  Let him get paid, then after file the civil suit and take the money in court as that would still end his career and take away all his money.  Now she has his money and took away his career.

But that also doesn't add up.  Multiple times they were in negotiations or attempting to open negotiations for a settlement.  It was not until Matt's attorney recently told her attorney he will not be interested in a settlement that they decided to file a civil suit.  Her attorney even posted the text messages between the two attorneys confirming this where he was essentially threatening him to settle or else.   

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

But but but the journalist’s journalist Tim Graham said it was a “direct quote” from Araiza.  How dare you question the almighty arbiter or all that is true, Timmy?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

But but but the journalist’s journalist Tim Graham said it was a “direct quote” from Araiza.  How dare you question the almighty arbiter or all that is true, Timmy?

I presume Graham was referring to the lawsuit, where it states Araiza admitted to having sex with her during the recorded phone call - albeit not in a direct quote?

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

I presume Graham was referring to the lawsuit, where it states Araiza admitted to having sex with her during the recorded phone call - albeit not in a direct quote?

Right.  But the reporter….who I think was Graham…..EXPLICITLY called it a direct quote in an attempt to “gotcha”  Beane.  It was weak, dishonest, and contemptible.  

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Right.  But the reporter….who I think was Graham…..EXPLICITLY called it a direct quote in an attempt to “gotcha”  Beane.  It was weak, dishonest, and contemptible.  

from Timmy?!? I’m shocked. Shocked I tell you.

• Agree 1