LAMP - My younger son's first FB game

Jon in Pasadena

So I've been dragging my kids to sports bars to watch Bills games since before they could walk, and they're both growing up solid Buffalo fans.

This past Spring, my younger one surprised me by telling me he wanted to go out for his HS football team.  He worked his butt off during Spring practices, weight room, etc., then when Summer practices started he made the varsity squad, but then somehow managed to injure his hip flexors & some other muscles around the lower back area, and basically couldn't do too much on the field for a couple weeks.  We got him some therapy and they've been easing him back into drills, but he lost a ton of reps.   Last Friday night was their first game, and near the end his coach put him in at MLB.    On his very first play ever, the other team ran their biggest, baddest RB up the middle, and my kid correctly diagnosed the play, filled his assigned gap, and leveled the dude for minimal gain. 

I shed a tear.  🙂

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

and near the end his coach put him in at MLB.    On his very first play ever, the other team ran their biggest, baddest RB up the middle, and my kid correctly diagnosed the play, filled his assigned gap, and leveled the dude for minimal gain

I don't have a son and I'm sure you are proud.

The bolded is the inevitable posts turning this into an Edmunds thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

18 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

So I've been dragging my kids to sports bars to watch Bills games since before they could walk, and they're both growing up solid Buffalo fans.

This past Spring, my younger one surprised me by telling me he wanted to go out for his HS football team.  He worked his butt off during Spring practices, weight room, etc., then when Summer practices started he made the varsity squad, but then somehow managed to injure his hip flexors & some other muscles around the lower back area, and basically couldn't do too much on the field for a couple weeks.  We got him some therapy and they've been easing him back into drills, but he lost a ton of reps.   Last Friday night was their first game, and near the end his coach put him in at MLB.    On his very first play ever, the other team ran their biggest, baddest RB up the middle, and my kid correctly diagnosed the play, filled his assigned gap, and leveled the dude for minimal gain. 

I shed a tear.  🙂

Great stuff, that must have been a terrific feeling.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Awesome proud moment.

My youngest will play his first HS football game this weekend. He's been playing since 1st grade & this is the first year I'm not a coach, and that's a bit weird for me. He's a big fast QB with a strong arm, and tries to do everything Josh Allen does. He just found out he got the #17 jersey, and is ecstatic. I'm so pumped for the game, it's hard to focus on anything else this week.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 947 said:

Awesome proud moment.

My youngest will play his first HS football game this weekend. He's been playing since 1st grade & this is the first year I'm not a coach, and that's a bit weird for me. He's a big fast QB with a strong arm, and tries to do everything Josh Allen does. He just found out he got the #17 jersey, and is ecstatic. I'm so pumped for the game, it's hard to focus on anything else this week.

Good luck at the game and to your boy.   Tell him not to do anything *too* crazy...

33 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

I literally used to do this from the time my kids were babies through their formative years :) - for years, before Sunday Ticket and streaming existed, we had our regular 'family-friendly' places that had games on satellite which we went to every Sunday to watch the Bills (spent a LOT of quarters at the Beef O'Brady's claw machine lol)

I coached a lot of my kids' youth sports teams growing up - basketball, baseball, softball - but my absolute favorite was flag football when my son was 5-11 yrs old.  Whenever Fall comes around and there's that smell of Fall and football in the air I always think of those flag foorball practices/teams - what a blast

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's awesome man!  My kid is 7 and when he fielded a ball at 2nd and threw the guy out at first...I got the feelings.

How's your WR depth on your son's HS football team?  

WR depth is pretty good.  Actually they had my boy at WR during Spring so he learned all of the Offensive plays, and he and I would go over to a field and practice route trees. He's a pretty good receiver (great hands) but they have a bunch of "vets" ahead of him so they moved him to the Defensive side of the ball where he has a shot at more playing time.

• Like (+1) 3

Special times and special memories. I miss those days!

Most people who go to a game on a Friday night (or strangely Saturday in WNY) don’t realize all the hard work and dedication that goes into it. Our boys used to get up super early to be at the gym by 6:00am so they didn’t miss their weight room time during two a days. Most of the kids hated the double practices, and ours got up at 5:30am to do extra. They got that kind of work ethic from their mother. :)

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I literally used to do this from the time my kids were babies through their formative years :) - for years, before Sunday Ticket and streaming existed, we had our regular 'family-friendly' places that had games on satellite which we went to every Sunday to watch the Bills (spent a LOT of quarters at the Beef O'Brady's claw machine lol)

I coached a lot of my kids' youth sports teams growing up - basketball, baseball - but my absolute favorite was flag football when my son was 5-11 yrs old.  Whenever Fall comes around and there's that smell of Fall and football in the air I always think of those flag foorball practices/teams - what a blast

If by "family-friendly places" you mean Hooters, then maybe we caught a game together at some point!

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's awesome man!  My kid is 7 and when he fielded a ball at 2nd and threw the guy out at first...I got the feelings.

How's your WR depth on your son's HS football team?  

But were his feet cold?

😆🍺

35 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

I used to take my oldest to a sports bar on the weekends/meat market at night. He was maybe 8 when we started, and the cutest thing in the bar. The servers all loved him, and he won a strangely high percentage of the regular drawings they were having. Unfortunately, giant beer and tequila tee shirts that wouldn’t fit him for years were not great gifts for a young boy. It became awkward when he got a tee shirt with a gecko (the name of the bar) kicking a football thru the uprights and the caption said “Gecko’s, the easiest place to score!”  That took some fancy talking on my part. 😂 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Special times and special memories. I miss those days!

Most people who go to a game on a Friday night (or strangely Saturday in WNY) don’t realize all the hard work and dedication that goes into it. Our boys used to get up super early to be at the gym by 6:00am so the didn’t miss their weight room time during two a days. Most of the kids hated the double practices, and ours got up at 5:30am to do extra. They got that kind of work ethics from their mother. :)

Here in California there's apparently a shortage of HS referees, so this year's schedule is crazy.  Our opener was last Friday, but the 2nd game is this Thursday night.  And since Wednesday is a walk-thru, it means they only get yesterday and today for full practice.  I heard the opponent this week has a 390 lb center.  And they've penciled my boy in at backup NG....  this should be interesting.

They don't do two-a-days anymore.  Our coach does Oklahomas though.  That's always entertaining.

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I admire any kid that plays this game

Like the most popular sport where I am from , (NRL a form of Rugby) I assume the numbers are dwindling?

Numbers are dwindling bigtime.

Both my boys started playing tackle in 1st grade, they're 14 & 16 now. Our local league had enough kids for 13 teams when my oldest was that age. 2 years later when youngest started, they only had 5 teams. The following year, they didn't have enough players to even do a 1st grade league. They had to convert to travel-only & have 1-2 teams per age level play against other towns. Nowadays, kids can't even start tackle football until 4th grade around here (Chicago area). They got rid of Jr High football 5 years ago, so the only way kids can play now is for a travel organization, until HS.

The good news is lots of kids are coming out for freshman football. My son's team has 40 players, a couple years ago there were only 25-30 freshmen. Only about 25% have played tackle football before, but that's the same everywhere. I'm just glad numbers are rebounding once they get to high school.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

That was my kid he crushed. We didn't get ice cream after the game. (kidding)

Yeah we ended up basically curb-stomping them.  I actually felt kinda bad for the kids on the other team.  Our guys just looked so much better coached, for the most part.  Except our KO coverage kinda sucked.   Yesterday the DB coach said he wants to put my kid on coverage teams because, in his words, "He's fast and I know he'll get down there and hit people."

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I admire any kid that plays this game

Like the most popular sport where I am from , (NRL a form of Rugby) I assume the numbers are dwindling?

I know at least at our school the numbers were declining for a few years (and Covid certainly didn't help!) but with the new coaching staff that came in last year, and a renewed effort to recruit & fund the program, I think the numbers have reversed and we got more kids this year. Hope it keeps trending up!

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Yeah we ended up basically curb-stomping them.  I actually felt kinda bad for the kids on the other team.  Our guys just looked so much better coached, for the most part.  Except our KO coverage kinda sucked.   Yesterday the DB coach said he wants to put my kid on coverage teams because, in his words, "He's fast and I know he'll get down there and hit people."

I am a wrestler at heart and love to see that form tackling. Reminds me of a pure double leg takedown. 

19 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I have been dragging myself out of bars for years

Is that how you got that nasty limp and sarcastic attitude? 🤩. All love House.

Jon, I’m truly happy for you brother.  I remember the first TD both of my boys scored as I was their coach.  I coached both of them on separate teams in flag and tackle.

Then as a sick joke by God, both of them fell in love with Lax.  I couldn’t coach them as I still after all these years don’t understand the rules.  I’m just kidding.  They loved it and there is no greater pride a Dad has then watching his play any sport and enjoy it.  My oldest had a full ride in college for Lax, but had his 5th concussion (all of them from Lax, none from football) and he asked me what he should do.  I said Ian, what do you think is the wise thing to do.  He just thanked me for not telling him what to do.  I just responded, Ian you already knew what to do and you’re 18.  That means you’re a young man.  You have to make those choices now.

He gave up the scholarship and came back to FL and is graduating with his finance degree, and has his real estate license, and public adjuster certificate at 22.  

Jon, you’re in for a lot of celebrations and a lot of heartbreaking losses.  You’re not will be better for dealing with both.

Thanks for sharing pal.  Now let’s beat the crap out of the Rams!!!!

Go Bills!

I can’t remember r who used to always write 20-0 baby!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Jon, I’m truly happy for you brother.  I remember the first TD both of my boys scored as I was their coach.  I coached both of them on separate teams in flag and tackle.

Thanks!  That's awesome.  I coached my kids in soccer for years. Good times.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I can’t remember r who used to always write 20-0 baby!

It was The Senator that started every season with 19-0 baby!    (That was before the 17 game reg. season.)

Sadly, I recently learned that he is no longer with us.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

23 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Thanks!  That's awesome.  I coached my kids in soccer for years. Good times.

It was The Senator that started every season with 19-0 baby!    (That was before the 17 game reg. season.)

Sadly, I recently learned that he is no longer with us.

Im so sorry.  He was always all Bills all the time.

Treasure these games with him, and take videos.  Trust me it only lasts so long, but you can fondly look back on those beautiful memories.  

Every time my sons come over the house as divorced and all three in college they always look at the pics in my place.  They always remind me of things I forgot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.