Retirement locations

SDS

5 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Have I missed  the "Western New York"  response ?

I’ve honestly recently looked at options around where I grew up in WNY. My hope is to get back to Florida but have a place to avoid summer heat. If the NC mountains prove to be too expensive, plan B might come into play. Like @ExiledInIllinois it would be a secondary home, but with great summer and fall weather and a special brand of people. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, teef said:

for our southerns or anyone in a warm climate...why move after retirement?  i get downsizing, having an adventure, but what would be the other reasons?  if you like your set up and the weather isn't an issue, it would seem most comfortable to stay.  

i am with you. Still like 20 years from retiring. But when I do, I think I would just do like periodic warm weather vacations in the winter, as opposed to moving south. I like being up in the northeast. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i am with you. Still like 20 years from retiring. But when I do, I think I would just do like periodic warm weather vacations in the winter, as opposed to moving south. I like being up in the northeast. 

A periodic cool weather trip during the summer is the reverse for us. Every time we go back to Hilton Head Island, SC (met wife there, kids born there, etc.)I look at condos for sale that we could use and rent when empty. I just know I’d feel like I had to go there for every vacation rather than experiencing new places. 

I’m retired, the wife is not yet. Her work and our family nearby determine everything…..for a few more years, at least. I’ve got a plan and can’t wait to put it in place.  

1 minute ago, Augie said:

A periodic cool weather trip during the summer is the reverse for us. Every time we go back to Hilton Head Island, SC (met wife there, kids born there, etc.)I look at condos for sale that we could use and rent when empty. I just know I’d feel like I had to go there for every vacation rather than experiencing new places. 

I’m retired, the wife is not yet. Her work and our family nearby determine everything…..for a few more years, at least. I’ve got a plan and can’t wait to put it in place.  

I think you hit the right criteria. live near friends and family or just places You enjoy— and then springboard to visit other areas. 

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i really do like it here from june 1st until january 1st.  the only thing that may keep me from coming back would be if my family and friends are completely gone, which may be a real possibility.  i still wouldn't do the south all year round.  I'll always have a home base in the northeast.  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, teef said:

i really do like it here from june 1st until january 1st.  the only thing that may keep me from coming back would be if my family and friends are completely gone, which may be a real possibility.  i still wouldn't so the south all year round.  I'll always have a home base in the northeast.  

Out of all of my family and friends growing up, only one person that I know of as a friend (not some high school classmate) lives in WNY right now. (And even he moved to Boston for 15 years.) You are heartier than myself, I like early fall, but then I’ll come back for a week or two during the Holidays. 

To each their own, and I hope we all get what we want the most in retirement! 

Have a camp on the upper Allegheny we'll probably stay in from early May til the leaves fall, then will buy property somewhere in the mountains of East Central Arizona or North Central New Mexico to spend winters.

Not sure what the wife's plans are yet :devil:

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Rigby said:

Must say after having visited a friend who works out there several times, my top location for my retirement right now is Alaska, namely around Juneau.

Great people, beautiful country, no one is on top of you, plenty of outdoor activities to do(I love hiking and skiing) etc.

But can you play golf in January and February?

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

But can you play golf in January and February?

It is…………less enjoyable. 

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Who plays golf then?  Those are skiing months!

All my friends in Florida. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I tried skiing once, My feet cramped up and I had to crawl back to the lodge. That was the last time I tried to ski.

But golf courses are usually at the base or through the low slopes of ski hills, mountains. Pack the clubs away for the winter! 😉 😜 

Do I try to ski through the greens in July?  Yeah... Maybe in Argentina! 😏 

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But golf courses are usually at the base or through the low slopes of ski hills, mountains. Pack the clubs away for the winter! 😉 😜 

Do I try to ski through the greens in July?  Yeah... Maybe in Argentina! 😏 

Must 

play 

golf 

year 

around

yo

We bought a condo in a resort town in northwest Montana. At this point it’s a rental / business with personal use mixed in a few times during the year (just got back from a week there actually). As we get older, I expect the proportion to flip towards more personal use. I could absolutely live / retire there, it’s beautiful country and outdoor recreation opportunities are endless.

Most of our family and many friends are here in Cbus so I imagine we will always have some kind of residence here, even if we downsize after the kid goes off to college (he’s just starting kindergarten, so we have some time!)

At some point would probably look to have something on the beach in South Carolina or Florida and just bounce around, but that’s obviously much further down the road (God willing). I’ve seen the best laid plans get a wrench thrown into them so we try to strike the balance between appreciating every day you have and not saying “we’ll do that sometime later on”,  while still living within reality. 

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i have discovered that I need an off-season for golf.  By the time

October rolls around, I have developed a number of new and disturbing swing flaws. It helps to put away the clubs for 6 months and re-set in April.

I play with my wife and we just love our time together on the course. 

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Out of all of my family and friends growing up, only one person that I know of as a friend (not some high school classmate) lives in WNY right now. (And even he moved to Boston for 15 years.) You are heartier than myself, I like early fall, but then I’ll come back for a week or two during the Holidays. 

To each their own, and I hope we all get what we want the most in retirement! 

i have to imagine this is the way it will work out as well.  work will probably be my biggest decider.  my plan is to work beyond 65, but on a part time basis.  maybe 2-3 days a week.  if my kids want to take over the business, i'll stick around.  if they move on, i'll sell everything and figure out where to live, likely based somewhere around their geography.  

34 minutes ago, Draconator said:

i think that's nice.  my wife asked to work out with me and she said she had never seem me so appalled.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, teef said:

for our southerns or anyone in a warm climate...why move after retirement?  i get downsizing, having an adventure, but what would be the other reasons?  if you like your set up and the weather isn't an issue, it would seem most comfortable to stay.  

I want to move out west like Colorado after I retire.  

I don't want to stay in the south because of people like this.

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

your wife needs to talk to my wife. I have tried to get her to get into golf. The best I can do is get her to walk with me 9 holes once per year. 

Are you guys swingers?

image.png.5a6277bf6eea56fefcbc27b07cd191cb.png

• Haha (+1) 3

On 8/1/2022 at 6:08 PM, sherpa said:

Prior to retirement, I worked in an industry where people could live or retire anywhere they wanted.

Many "offshore" places, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Panama, many places in Europe and the Caribbean, and all over the US.

We went through the same process, and decided to live where we do now.

My only contribution,, having listened to hundreds of stories, is to rent for a month, at minimum, at anyplace you are seriously considering,

Having lived in several U.S. cities I would agree with the rent for a little bit comment.  No place is going to be perfect and you will want to understand what the trade offs are before you are locked into them.  Also, it’s really hard to understand the impact of things like traffic patterns, noise, density or other factors that may impact your day to day life.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Anything specific about colorade?  i know it's beautiful, but the weather can be whacky.  my wife's uncle moved out there for a bit to open a branch of his engineering firm.  he and his wife enjoyed, but they didn't want to live there full time.  the weather would still be too much of an issue for me in the winter.

also, that kid doesn't strike me as your typical southerner.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

Anything specific about colorade?  i know it's beautiful, but the weather can be whacky.  my wife's uncle moved out there for a bit to open a branch of his engineering firm.  he and his wife enjoyed, but they didn't want to live there full time.  the weather would still be too much of an issue for me in the winter.

I do teef. Not to bud into your conversation but I lived there for 6 years (colorado springs specifically) I cannot speak for how it would be like to live elsewhere in the state. C Springs is located at the front range of the rocky Mountains where is located Pikes Peak. The height of the mountain will block a lot of the worst winter weather. I know it sounds odd but its true. They may get a blizzard every so often but the high altitude combined with how quickly weather fronts can move in and out you can have snow and the same day the street will be steaming they are drying so fast due to the sun coming back out. Happened a lot. In colorado if you are in the sun in the winter you could easily be in a sweatshirt but get cold as soon as you are out of its direct suns path. The sun shines a lot in winter in Colorado it is not gray for weeks at a time. I considered the winters there pretty mild as compared to WNY in S Springs specifically anyway.

m

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bruh that's you

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, muppy said:

I do teef. Not to bud into your conversation but I lived there for 6 years (colorado springs specifically) I cannot speak for how it would be like to live elsewhere in the state. C Springs is located at the front range of the rocky Mountains where is located Pikes Peak. The height of the mountain will block a lot of the worst winter weather. I know it sounds odd but its true. They may get a blizzard every so often but the high altitude combined with how quickly weather fronts can move in and out you can have snow and the same day the street will be steaming they are drying so fast due to the sun coming back out. Happened a lot. In colorado if you are in the sun in the winter you could easily be in a sweatshirt but get cold as soon as you are out of its direct suns path. The sun shines a lot in winter in Colorado it is not gray for weeks at a time. I considered the winters there pretty mild as compared to WNY in S Springs specifically anyway.

m

There are 3 main reasons I hate winter. First, it’s cold. You may have known that already. Second, and maybe more important, is the gray skies. I hate the gloomy skies, and Atlanta gets a lot of that in the winter. Last, it just lasts FAR too long. It sounds like Colorado Springs is an improvement in at least two of those categories. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, muppy said:

m

always chime in!  i have heard that about the mountains.  my understanding is that's why you can have a 65 degree day followed up by a day with 5 inches of snow.  it's the sun that makes the difference.  i'd manage the winters much better here if it wasn't for the constant gray.  you'll have days that the sun pops out, but month and months of the lack of sun has started to wear on me.   my wife's uncle was in denver which is a unique situation.  they've had such incredible growth that i think they just didn't like the busyness of it all.  on top of that a wildfire crept into their neighborhood and destroyed a number of homes.  theirs was fine, but they ended up selling to a neighbor, getting an apartment, and getting a house in saratoga.  they enjoy it, but won't do all year round.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Because of the peace sign?

lack of a cowboy hat.

51 minutes ago, teef said:

I heard that Denver doesn't actually snow that much.  It gets snow but not as much as the surrounding Colorado areas.

I hate the heat of the south now.  Maybe Virginia, Kentucky or North Carolina as well.  I want just to live somewhere that doesn't have extreme weather either hot or cold.

Atlanta isn't really a southern city.  If you want to get country folk and accents, you have to go outside of Atlanta.  Atlanta is a transplant city.

I believe per capita, it's now the gay capital of the US.  It's very liberal.

28 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Bruh that's you

That boy aint Korean.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I heard that Denver doesn't actually snow that much.  It gets snow but not as much as the surrounding Colorado areas.

I hate the heat of the south now.  Maybe Virginia, Kentucky or North Carolina as well.  I want just to live somewhere that doesn't have extreme weather either hot or cold.

Atlanta isn't really a southern city.  If you want to get country folk and accents, you have to go outside of Atlanta.  Atlanta is a transplant city.

I believe per capita, it's now the gay capital of the US.  It's very liberal.

tha't's an interesting take on atlanta and it makes sense.  ever consider having a place there and  having one up north...maybe in rochester?  as close as possible to me.  you know likei'vebeentherebefore, (bbmb) lives minutes away.  

1 minute ago, teef said:

tha't's an interesting take on atlanta and it makes sense.  ever consider having a place there and  having one up north...maybe in rochester?  as close as possible to me.  you know likei'vebeentherebefore, (bbmb) lives minutes away.  

I heard the property taxes are higher in NY State.  Can you confirm?  

I own two places now.  Maybe when I see the condo in 10 or so years, I could put that towards a house in Rochester.  Then you, me and Likeive can go bowling on Wednesday's together.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I heard the property taxes are higher in NY State.  Can you confirm?  

I own two places now.  Maybe when I see the condo in 10 or so years, I could put that towards a house in Rochester.  Then you, me and Likeive can go bowling on Wednesday's together.

i can confirm!  you should see the school taxes.  that's what really makes your sphincter pucker.  just take a guess...

and i'm totally behind the wednesday bowling league.  if we get @Gene1973to be our fourth, no one will ***** stop us.

1 minute ago, teef said:

i can confirm!  you should see the school taxes.  that's what really makes your sphincter pucker.  just take a guess...

and i'm totally behind the wednesday bowling league.  if we get @Gene1973to be our fourth, no one will ***** stop us.

I have a feeling Gene has his own bowling ball and shoes.  

Sure it's the latitude, but there's other factors.  NYC (Central Park) almost as sunny as Tampa, FL %wise and actually has more sun @ Central Park. I take the other parts of the city drag the % slightly down.  58% compared to 63%.  ??

Moline, Illinois... Pretty damn shocking, right? Is pretty damn sunny and cracks over 200 days a year w/sun.  For the record, Tampa is 234.  What's a measly month spread out of 12 months? 2 more days a month? Big wow!

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/average-annual-state-sunshine.php

Compare the states... Yeah, Florida is the "Sunshine State"... But NOT by much.

Arizona blows Florida away. Florida just a bit above the rest,  but not by much. 

NYC Central Park had more days with sun than Jacksonville!  

SunnyDays/PartlySunnyDays/EDays/E%

Jacksonville: 94/127/221 @63% 

NYCCP: 107/127/234 @ 58%

Explain that @Augie 😉😜 

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

your wife needs to talk to my wife. I have tried to get her to get into golf. The best I can do is get her to walk with me 9 holes once per year. 

It helps when your husband and your BFF of over 35 years love golf. Kinda like submitting into good peer pressure.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.