I went to Canada for beer again, and this time it was FAR different!

Draconator

I have a good friend who is in the beverage industry in Ontario. When he heard about my dislike for Rush Golden Ale, he reached out to the rep for the brewer, Henderson Brewing. 

The rep admitted that the very first batch of Rush Golden Ale was flawed and should have never been released. I got the first batch. The rep felt bad that I had the first batch, so she gave my friend Stan (Who is the rep for Wellington Brewery) a 6 pack of the revised Rush Golden Ale and a 6 pack of other Henderson Brews. And of course Stan gives me a nice assortment of Welly Beers. 

But I went for the revised Rush beer. Just cracked open one, and damn! Is it ever smooth and extremely pleasant to drink! It is a mighty fine beer after all!!!

I’ll report back on the weekend when I have the Welly “Raked Over” IPA with Mango, Pineapple, and Habanero! 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

I have a good friend who is in the beverage industry in Ontario. When he heard about my dislike for Rush Golden Ale, he reached out to the rep for the brewer, Henderson Brewing. 

The rep admitted that the very first batch of Rush Golden Ale was flawed and should have never been released. I got the first batch. The rep felt bad that I had the first batch, so she gave my friend Stan (Who is the rep for Wellington Brewery) a 6 pack of the revised Rush Golden Ale and a 6 pack of other Henderson Brews. And of course Stan gives me a nice assortment of Welly Beers. 

But I went for the revised Rush beer. Just cracked open one, and damn! Is it ever smooth and extremely pleasant to drink! It is a mighty fine beer after all!!!

I’ll report back on the weekend when I have the Welly “Raked Over” IPA with Mango, Pineapple, and Habanero! 

They've got some sweet merch!  https://shophendersonbrewing.com/collections/rush

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They've got some sweet merch!  https://shophendersonbrewing.com/collections/rush

I was given the bar mat, a bunch of guitar picks with the Rush Golden Ale logo on one side, and the Henderson Brewery log on the other, the Moving Pitchers coaster, and a Golden Ale sticker along with the beers.

Edit: I also got a Golden Ale bottle opener for my key chain.

Edited by Draconator
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I was given the bar mat, a bunch of guitar picks with the Rush Golden Ale logo on one side, and the Henderson Brewery log on the other, the Moving Pitchers coaster, and a Golden Ale sticker along with the beers.

Edit: I also got a Golden Ale bottle opener for my key chain.

I love the growlers!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

i like that you're drinking at 12:30.  good for you.

I think the words “already” or possibly “still” could be inserted there. Color me impressed regardless! 

We would go to Canada for the beer stores, then hit the quarries with the girls from the neighborhood. Special times!  I’m telling ya’ that was one hell of a fun “childhood” growing up in WNY. Yes, I moved away, but I have no complaints about my time there. 

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, Rigby said:

Moosehead Lager by far best Canadian beer I have ever had.

I was a Molson guy. First drink my now wife ever bought me was a Molson at a sports bar while watching the Doug Flutie Hail Mary game with BC. I liked Moosehead, and my Canadian friend had very unkind words for Labatt’s that I can’t post here.

My favorite, however, were those delicious Old Vienna splits. Heaven in a little bottle! Stayed cold as we paced around the pool table in the basement. Ahhh, what a fabulous misspent youth I had! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

How was it crossing the border?

Nexus for the win!

You still have to register on ArriveCAN when going into Canada. I get to the border cop and he asks me why I didn't use the Nexus lane. (They had just closed it). 30 seconds tops I spent with him.

On the way back, I crossed the Whirlpool Bridge. Nexus cardholders only. Have my Nexus card scanned in Canada, gate opens, cross the bridge, scan again in US, border cop doesn't even ask for my ID. All my info is right in front of her via my Nexus card.

Told her I was bringing back some beers received as gifts, she asks me to roll down my back window, takes a peak, and asks if I got any IPA's. I said I don't know. She gives me a hard time for not knowing what I got, so I replied I was only interested in the Rush Golden Ale! I then went and told her that one of the beers I have had Habanero in it, she literally takes out a notepad, writes down Wellington Brewery and says she's going to look it up when her shift was over, and on my way I went!

On 7/13/2022 at 6:06 PM, Gugny said:

Anyone going to the PIT @ BUF game - tailgating at Hammer's - who can score me a six pack of this stuff, I'll gladly pay you Sunday for a Six Pack today.

If you want to meet up Saturday night before the game, I'll pick up a 6 pack for ya. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Draconator said:

If you want to meet up Saturday night before the game, I'll pick up a 6 pack for ya. 

Good chances are that I'll be at the Bar Bill in EA on Sat. night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:41 PM, Draconator said:

Nexus for the win!

You still have to register on ArriveCAN when going into Canada. I get to the border cop and he asks me why I didn't use the Nexus lane. (They had just closed it). 30 seconds tops I spent with him.

On the way back, I crossed the Whirlpool Bridge. Nexus cardholders only. Have my Nexus card scanned in Canada, gate opens, cross the bridge, scan again in US, border cop doesn't even ask for my ID. All my info is right in front of her via my Nexus card.

Told her I was bringing back some beers received as gifts, she asks me to roll down my back window, takes a peak, and asks if I got any IPA's. I said I don't know. She gives me a hard time for not knowing what I got, so I replied I was only interested in the Rush Golden Ale! I then went and told her that one of the beers I have had Habanero in it, she literally takes out a notepad, writes down Wellington Brewery and says she's going to look it up when her shift was over, and on my way I went!

Cool story. My experience with border crossing is simply that if you are open and honest the crossing guards really just don’t care and will not hassle you.  

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Cool story. My experience with border crossing is simply that if you are open and honest the crossing guards really just don’t care and will not hassle you.  

My experience as well. Unless of course you are WAY over the limit.

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

9 minutes ago, The Dean said:

My experience as well. Unless of course you are WAY over the limit.

The last time I crossed the border was when I brought my son to see Rush on their R40 tour in 2015.  On the way into Canada (a little over 2 hours from home), the border agent thought it was cool that I was bringing my then 12-year-old son to see Rush.  On the way back into the U.S., the agent looked at my passport and said, "are you related to Monica (my last name)?"  She's my sister-in-law (and a rotten b!tch, but I digress ...) and it turns out this agent is close friends with her family.  Small world.

To you in Canada, or who go there to buy beer often:  Has anyone seen Molson Stock Ale in stock anywhere?  It doesn't seem as though it has been discontinued, but it never seems to be in stock when I, or any of my friends, looks for it

On 7/13/2022 at 11:51 AM, Draconator said:

BEER in Canada 

Turning On Blue Light GIF by LabattUSA

Or 

ci-molson-golden-211e801f801ae908.png?au

Blue or Gold

On 7/13/2022 at 7:01 PM, Augie said:

I was a Molson guy. First drink my now wife ever bought me was a Molson at a sports bar while watching the Doug Flutie Hail Mary game with BC. I liked Moosehead, and my Canadian friend had very unkind words for Labatt’s that I can’t post here.

My favorite, however, were those delicious Old Vienna splits. Heaven in a little bottle! Stayed cold as we paced around the pool table in the basement. Ahhh, what a fabulous misspent youth I had! 

OV splits for the win. They were drinkable even at room temperature. My brother took me to Watkins Glen for the race in the early 80s, and he and his buddies piled 22 cases of splits into the RV. We had to sleep in a tent because the bunks were taken up by beer. It was a rainy, cold October weekend, but we got through all 22!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

OV splits for the win. They were drinkable even at room temperature. My brother took me to Watkins Glen for the race in the early 80s, and he and his buddies piled 22 cases of splits into the RV. We had to sleep in a tent because the bunks were taken up by beer. It was a rainy, cold October weekend, but we got through all 22!

As much as I loved OV Splits, regular sized bottles of OV do very little for me

Spent a night at a Crystal Beach cottage with my friends back in the late 70s. The guys down the street were getting ready for a party that night.  Invited everyone in the neighborhood. The y were unloading a pickup truck that had the bed FILLED with Labatts Blue.  Had to work back  in Buffalo that night so I couldn't be there. Friends told me ir was a Iwanna be a Pollack  party. They played polkas all night and had someone dressed as the pope (JPII-he had just  became pope) walking around blessing everyone.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Since this thread has turned to canadian beer and not so much the crossing aspect I can share that the san diego billsbackers club offers ice bucket special price for Labatts Blue splits and they are very popular

the OV splits beer mentions brought me back to when my sister was in college at Buff State and lived in allentown. We would walk just out the door of her apartment to Mulligans Brick bar where we used to drink those like water lol

9 hours ago, Wacka said:

Spent a night at a Crystal Beach cottage with my friends back in the late 70s. The guys down the street were getting ready for a party that night.  Invited everyone in the neighborhood. The y were unloading a pickup truck that had the bed FILLED with Labatts Blue.  Had to work back  in Buffalo that night so I couldn't be there. Friends told me ir was a Iwanna be a Pollack  party. They played polkas all night and had someone dressed as the pope (JPII-he had just  became pope) walking around blessing everyone.

The last part sounds more like mushrooms than beer. Just sayin’.  🤷‍♂️

20 hours ago, The Dean said:

As much as I loved OV Splits, regular sized bottles of OV do very little for me

I may have had a split for every person in China, but I’m honestly not sure if I ever had a full size OV, or even knew they existed! 

1 hour ago, muppy said:

Since this thread has turned to canadian beer and not so much the crossing aspect I can share that the san diego billsbackers club offers ice bucket special price for Labatts Blue splits and they are very popular

the OV splits beer mentions brought me back to when my sister was in college at Buff State and lived in allentown. We would walk just out the door of her apartment to Mulligans Brick bar where we used to drink those like water lol

Say what?  Labatts Blue splits?

I've never seen one, or even knew they existed.  I doubt they're distributed around St Augustine.  But I'm going to search now.  

I tend to like any beer better in a split. So I'm always on the lookout. About the only ones I can find down here are Corona and maybe Bud/Bud Light. No interest in any of those.  I'll do Rolling Rock ponies, though since they left Latrobe it doesn't seem the same. Still I can't find those either.   I used to be able to find Heineken. But I haven't seen that anywhere in a couple years.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I may have had a split for every person in China, but I’m honestly not sure if I ever had a full size OV, or even knew they existed! 

For a really bad experience, try a 16oz can of OV.  They used to be very inexpensive---and they were barely worth the price, IMO.  Then again, like I said, I just like small beers better.  For one, they stay cold for the entire time.  

• Agree 1

@The Dean I just googled Labatts splits and the smallest bottles I found were 11oz. So while only slightly smaller than a usual bottle they are sold by the bucket at the Bills bar calling them splits.  I was duped by their marketing my apologies. The bucket specials sell out there. That place is a Bills bar gold mine they make a mint off of our fanbase.

19 minutes ago, muppy said:

@The Dean I just googled Labatts splits and the smallest bottles I found were 11oz. So while only slightly smaller than a usual bottle they are sold by the bucket at the Bills bar calling them splits.  I was duped by their marketing my apologies. The bucket specials sell out there. That place is a Bills bar gold mine they make a mint off of our fanbase.

Well there goes 2 hours of online research gone to hell!

😂

Ok Thanks for the clarification. I can get some sleep tonight after all.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/13/2022 at 7:01 PM, Augie said:

So am I.  I grew up in Blasdell but not town of but mailing code in neighbor called Steelton off 20A west of South Park.

The beer of choice seemed to be Genesee with Miller liked by some.  There were enough parties I could try beer but never liked it except in cooking.

When I went to college in 1979 and after I turned 18 I was part of beer runs for which payment was free Chinese food. 

I was always dependable so beer run lead once invited to party and he told me as part of entry fee beer was included but he would wave fee for me for upcoming party.  I said no thanks I do not like beer I tried it in high school; I mostly drank mixed drinks using leftover alcohol from bottles discarded as part of my work cleaning up (there was rule that bottles mostly empty were thrown out and I was thrower).  He said try the beer we bought in Canada.  He bought Molson and a few other Canadian beers.

I discovered I did like beer just not crappy ones.  Molson became my to drink beer until after I started working full time in Virginia  I discovered other good beers including even some local ones.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

So am I.  I grew up in Blasdell but not town of but mailing code in neighbor called Steelton off 20A west of South Park.

The beer of choice seemed to be Genesee with Miller liked by some.  There were enough parties I could try beer but never liked it except in cooking.

When I went to college in 1979 and after I turned 18 I was part of beer runs for which payment was free Chinese food. 

I was always dependable so beer run lead once invited to party and he told me as part of entry fee beer was included but he would wave fee for me for upcoming party.  I said no thanks I do not like beer I tried it in high school; I mostly drank mixed drinks using leftover alcohol from bottles discarded as part of my work cleaning up (there was rule that bottles mostly empty were thrown out and I was thrower).  He said try the beer we bought in Canada.  He bought Molson and a few other Canadian beers.

I discovered I did like beer just not crappy ones.  Molson became my to drink beer until after I started working full time in Virginia  I discovered other good beers including even some local ones.

While I haven't had it in a long time, I actually thought Genesee 12 Horse Ale was fairly decent. Do they still make it?

I also liked Ballantine XXX Ale and Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale. 

Old men beer, even when I was young.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:54 PM, The Dean said:

To you in Canada, or who go there to buy beer often:  Has anyone seen Molson Stock Ale in stock anywhere?  It doesn't seem as though it has been discontinued, but it never seems to be in stock when I, or any of my friends, looks for it

I did some online research, Molson still shows Stock as an actively made brew.  However finding it at a 'Beer Store' or 'LCBO' outlet via their inventory checking software turns up no hits so far.  I think I will just drop into Fort Erie or Ridgeway's 'Beer Store', and ask directly.  If I am going to drink a Molson Coors product, it will be Stock.

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I did some online research, Molson still shows Stock as an actively made brew.  However finding it at a 'Beer Store' or 'LCBO' outlet via their inventory checking software turns up no hits so far.  I think I will just drop into Fort Erie or Ridgeway's 'Beer Store', and ask directly.  If I am going to drink a Molson Coors product, it will be Stock.

Thanks.  I went through the ame procedure. This is the only place I could find that doesn't say "not available". Not sure it it's actually In Stock, as stated, though:

https://snappydelivery.ca/product/molson-stock-ale/

Edited by The Dean

On 7/18/2022 at 1:13 PM, The Dean said:

Thanks.  I went through the ame procedure. This is the only place I could find that doesn't say "not available". Not sure it it's actually In Stock, as stated, though:

https://snappydelivery.ca/product/molson-stock-ale/

Stopped by the Ridgeway 'Beer Store' an hour ago, and asked the clerk if Molson Stock was still made.  She said that it was discontinued about two years ago.  I will try the MolsonCoors website and see what they say, or if they're another one of these corporations that don't answer customer inquiries.

7 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Stopped by the Ridgeway 'Beer Store' an hour ago, and asked the clerk if Molson Stock was still made.  She said that it was discontinued about two years ago.  I will try the MolsonCoors website and see what they say, or if they're another one of these corporations that don't answer customer inquiries.

There is a list of discontinued beers but it was not listed on it.

https://bestlifeonline.com/news-molson-coors-discontinued/

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/molson-coors-discontinued-beers

Molson Coors Discontinues 11 Beers Including Keystone Ice and Milwaukee's Best Premium

1. Hamm's Special Light
  2. Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve
  3. Icehouse Edge
  4. Keystone Light Keylightful
  5. Keystone Ice
  6. Magnum
  7. Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor Ice
  8. Miller High Life Light
  9. Milwaukee's Best Premium
  10. Olde English High Gravity 800
  11. Steel Reserve 211
Edited by Limeaid

24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

There is a list of discontinued beers but it was not listed on it.

https://bestlifeonline.com/news-molson-coors-discontinued/

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/molson-coors-discontinued-beers

Molson Coors Discontinues 11 Beers Including Keystone Ice and Milwaukee's Best Premium

1. Hamm's Special Light
  2. Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve
  3. Icehouse Edge
  4. Keystone Light Keylightful
  5. Keystone Ice
  6. Magnum
  7. Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor Ice
  8. Miller High Life Light
  9. Milwaukee's Best Premium
  10. Olde English High Gravity 800
  11. Steel Reserve 211

No not on any list. Still listed among their (I assume) active products:

https://www.molsoncoors.com/brands/our-brands/molson-stock-ale?region=931

But just try finding it at a Beer Store!  For a few years we thought it was discontinued because the beer stores on the way to our cottage never seemed to have it. But it made a reappearance for awhile. Haven't been back since Covid, but a year or two before, when we went to one of the Beer Stores the woman told us, "Only Americans ask for that."  The Budweiser/Coors takeover of Canada is extremely sad. 

Looking at the list of discontinued beers, it's hard for me to believe any of those were being sold in Canada. Steel Reserve?  Old English?  I understand why one might buy them here, as they are dirt cheap and are higher in alcohol. But no beer is dirt cheap in Canada.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.