2022 USFL Championship, Stars vs Stallions, Fox 7:30p ET

PromoTheRobot

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

So who won?

Seriously...who is desperate enough to buy USFL gear, especially Birmingham? Of note: The former Birmingham team beat Jim Kelly's Houston Gamblers in the quarterfinals in 1985.

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, chongli said:

Seriously...who is desperate enough to buy USFL gear, especially Birmingham? Of note: The former Birmingham team beat Jim Kelly's Houston Gamblers in the quarterfinals in 1985.

I imagine there are lots of people in Birmingham that will buy it. It’s not like they have an NFL team (not named Crimson Tide) in their town or even in Alabama. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

So who won?

It was a wild game, back and forth, both starting QBs knocked out. Stars would have won if not for losing theirs. A late BHM TD courtesy of former Bill Victor Boldin Jr. I really wanted it to go to OT so I could see the wacky USFL OT rules in progress.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• PromoTheRobot changed the title to 2022 USFL Championship, Stars vs Stallions, Fox 7:30p ET
3 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

It was a competitive game with two evenly matched teams.  The game was entertaining.  When I decided to watch it, I went into it with the mindset that I would have watching a AAA baseball game.

I didn't watch the game, but I would imagine the quality of play is better than AAA baseball...I assume thees teams have ex NFLers throughout their lineups...tweeners who didn't make it but can still play.

I would expect quality of play to be a notch beyond big time college football.  

Maybe that's wrong.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I didn't watch the game, but I would imagine the quality of play is better than AAA baseball...I assume thees teams have ex NFLers throughout their lineups...tweeners who didn't make it but can still play.

Maybe that's wrong.

It's a fair take. Also these teams have little time to form a cohesive unit so the play calling might be a tad less complex. But there's no question a few players will wind up on NFL teams.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Maybe that's wrong.

The majority of AAA baseball players are journeyman who have MLB experience or are on the cusp of the show 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Maybe that's wrong.

I watched the game.  Its exactly what you'd expect from a AAA game.  The better talent shined through and the nuances of the game were below the everyday professionals.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The majority of AAA baseball players are journeyman who have MLB experience or are on the cusp of the show 

And there is just a lot more talent in MLB than there are roster spots.   That can happen when you are pulling talent from the Caribbean,  South America and Japan/Korea.    Opposite issue than the NFL has where there isn't enough talent to go around.   USFL and CFL definitely aren't the equivalent of AAA baseball quality.    Still entertaining to watch if you like football though.

• Agree 1

I enjoyed the football of the USFL, especially when I  accepted that the QB play was going to be questionable at best. The QBs and reciever did get more cohesive during season but I definitely think that that outside the QB that the talent was pretty strong. I watched about 15 games total through the season and I must state the officiating was substantially better than NFL officiating, they seemed to only make calls they saw, not what they think they saw.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I imagine there are lots of people in Birmingham that will buy it. It’s not like they have an NFL team (not named Crimson Tide) in their town or even in Alabama. 

They won't buy a ticket to see their team play, but they will lay out for a Jersey?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.