Jump to content

Bills OTAs


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Saffold is almost a wash for Williams and we have no idea how Brown will develop… and Bates is now RG and doesn’t have Dawkins next to him.

 

“Much better” is a gigantic stretch… and Josh has never had a good offensive line so not saying much that it may be the best it’s ever been for him.

Lol what. Daryl Williams who is still a free agent after we cut him is a wash with a Rodger Saffold that just came off a pro bowl year to finish his contract. You think Rodger Saffold wouldn’t be signed right now as he’s a wash with Daryl Williams?  
 

So after your laughable first argument let’s assume you’re right on the rest. If bates can’t flip sides (cause he has only played all the OL spots), then I still think all our other iOL depth (besides ford) is better than Daryl Williams (who is unsigned lolol). Now brown regresses from what was an already inconsistent year. Quessenberry played better than him last year. So if he can maintain his play then we have still upgraded. 

 

Someone gif me a Billy Madison “may god have mercy on your soul”. At no point during your laughable arguments did you come close to making a salient point for why even in the worst case the line still hasn’t improved. 
 

agree josh has never had a good line so low bar. But wow that was a good laugh. Dudes not signed and he’s wash with Saffold.  We don’t know exactly what the league thinks of Saffold but we definitely know what it thinks of Williams (about as much as your take is worth 🤣)

Edited by YattaOkasan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Lol what. Daryl Williams who is still a free agent after we cut him is a wash with a Rodger Saffold that just came off a pro bowl year to finish his contract. You think Rodger Saffold wouldn’t be signed right now as he’s a wash with Daryl Williams?  
 

So after your laughable first argument let’s assume you’re right on the rest. If bates can’t flip sides (cause he has only played all the OL spots), then I still think all our other iOL depth (besides ford) is better than Daryl Williams (who is unsigned lolol). Now brown regresses from what was an already inconsistent year. Quessenberry played better than him last year. So if he can maintain his play then we have still upgraded. 

 

Someone gif me a Billy Madison “may god have mercy on your soul”. At no point during your laughable arguments did you come close to making a salient point for why even in the worst case the line still hasn’t improved. 
 

agree josh has never had a good line so low bar. But wow that was a good laugh. Dudes not signed and he’s wash with Saffold.  We don’t know exactly what the league thinks of Saffold but we definitely know what it thinks of Williams (about as much as your take is worth 🤣)

I think you should lower your expectations of Saffold. He is a 34 year old guard who struggles in pass protection, something the Bills offense is built off of,  and has struggled to stay healthy…. With Williams you get Tackle/Guard flexibility. If hes an upgrade it’s not a big upgrade. 
 

I think you underestimate Williams, who in 2020, was a very good RT. He def struggled last season but ended up as a serviceable starting Guard. I don’t know why he’s unsigned. Perhaps he’s waiting until after training camp…. Who’s to say Saffold wouldn’t be doing the same thing if the Bills didn’t sign him to that contract?
 

I’m not saying Bates can’t play RG, I’m saying he won’t have an all pro LT next to him any longer so we will find out how good he really is.

 

Brown was god awful at times last season and his back up in Quessenberry allowed more sacks than anyone at Tackle last season. Quite the upgrade.😅

 

You suggested it’s much improved, that’s a really big stretch to say at this point. 

Edited by ScottLaw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

 

You suggested it’s much improved, that’s a really big stretch to say at this point. 

 

Agree. On Saffold is he an upgrade on Williams? Yes, but not a huge one. He has always been overrated IMO and he sucked in pass pro last year. Tannehill had one of the lowest times "from snap to pressure" numbers in the entire NFL. 

 

And I agree on Bates too. His performances were encouraging last year but he benefited from Dawkins playing his best football of the year down the stretch. We saw it the year before with Ike. Looked like a solid starting guard with Dion alongside him down the stretch in 2020, but at right guard last year next to Brown his limitations were definitely on show more. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

Exactly.........once the playoffs arrive, everything is on the table.   But you can't have him running 15 times in a game like he had to against a lowly Atlanta team that they struggled to put away offensively last season and then expect him to be healthy come playoff time or to have a long career.     This half-stepping wrt offensive personnel could cut years off a career that we want to last another 15+ years if possible.

Disagree with the premise that running Allen is going to shorten his career. Right now, he is young, strong, and in his prime. His durability shouldn't be an issue. He has clearly shown that he can run well and sort of speak safely. Of course, dailung it back some will be optimal if others can produce. To make Allen a pure pocket passer would be a mistake. The Bills offense is much better with Allen running and the threat of him running. I think that's pretty straightforward. You just don't turn it on in the playoffs without doing something effectively in the regular season. The regular season games are extremely important to try to get a buy and home field advantage. Thus, the Bills should play to win and not play conservative or scared. Of course, playing smart which means utilizing Allen's legs. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Designed runs were very effective. It's one of Allen's best assets. Would you advocate for Jackson or Murray to run less due to unnecessary risks? No because their legs are too vital to their offenses. Same goes for Allen. Look at the weapon he was inside the red zone and critical 3rd and 4th down plays.

 

I can see dailing it back if the Bills Rbs are effective and produce. That remains to be seen. Thus far, we know Allen's legs are every bit as elite as his arm. He appears to be very durable and intelligent enough to protect his body when he takes a hit. Sure, I cringe every time he takes a hit. 

 

Lastly, I would like to address the regular season vs playoffs. You have to play to win every regular season game. You develop a strategy and game plan accordingly to the team your playing. If that means utilizing Allen's legs then so be it. I don't think you can just all of a sudden use Allen's legs when the playoffs start. That's just a recipe for losing. 

 

In concluding, lots of unknowns about how effective the Bills run game will be. Motor looked very good, addition of Cook, a healthier Moss, and an improved Oline can led to lesser but more effective Allen runs. However, I'm still an advocate of letting Allen run. His legs are just too good to take that away. 

 

 

Disagree. Keeping Allen healthy for the next 10 years is the priority. Tune down the designed runs unless the season is on the line.

We have plenty of upgrades for the passing game this year. The OC and Allen should have no problems finding open players who can do something with the ball. More short pass plays that are just as effective as a run game should be dialed up.

Also our run game itself should improve IMO. OL should be more stable and new OL coach should help here.

  • Dislike 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

 

 

Disagree. Keeping Allen healthy for the next 10 years is the priority. Tune down the designed runs unless the season is on the line.

We have plenty of upgrades for the passing game this year. The OC and Allen should have no problems finding open players who can do something with the ball. More short pass plays that are just as effective as a run game should be dialed up.

Also our run game itself should improve IMO. OL should be more stable and new OL coach should help here.

Who?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Who?

 

Gabe Davis is entering his 3rd year....the same guy you said can't do anything in the passing game unless he's wide open on a designed route.  Believe it or not, players can improve from year 1 to year 3.  

 

Jamison Crowder adds more after the catch than Beasley.  Beasley did a great job here but we were I think dead last in the league in YAC.

 

We obviously were looking for a RB in the passing game which is why we tried to sign McKissic.  Now we have James Cook.  Again, another YAC player.

 

I believe McKenzie is going to get more opportunities in the passing game this year.  His contract states he's probably not going to be held on the sidelines like the first half of last year.  

 

You have this attitude that if you bring back the same players, it can't improve.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

 

 

Disagree. Keeping Allen healthy for the next 10 years is the priority. Tune down the designed runs unless the season is on the line.

We have plenty of upgrades for the passing game this year. The OC and Allen should have no problems finding open players who can do something with the ball. More short pass plays that are just as effective as a run game should be dialed up.

Also our run game itself should improve IMO. OL should be more stable and new OL coach should help here.

So based on your premise should Allen drop back and pass? Have designed roll outs? Because the risk is also real in thoae two situations. Maybe you should advocate for a short 3 step drop and quick passes. He should be safe that way. Come on. The Bills have a stud at QB. You should never limit his legs which limits the Bills wins. Of course don't be reckless. Utilizing Allens legs imho, isn't reckless. You restrict what he does and this team will likely never sniff a super bowl ring. Play to win! In 13 seconds...

Edited by newcam2012
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

So based on your premise should Allen drop back and pass? Have designed roll outs? Because the risk is also real in thoae two situations. Maybe you should advocate for a short 3 step drop and quick passes. He should be safe that way. Come on. The Bills have a stud at QB. You should never limit his legs which limits the Bills wins. Of course don't be reckless. Utilizing Allens legs imho, isn't reckless. You restrict what he does and this team will likely never sniff a super bowl ring. Play to win! 

 

RUN HIM TILL HE PUKES!

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:


Make the Bills have camp in Atlanta….definitely will puke.

 

 

 

I can say without a doubt, playing football in weather like that (played Football 10 years in FL), can make you puke and worse, dry heave.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

 

I can say without a doubt, playing football in weather like that (played Football 10 years in FL), can make you puke and worse, dry heave.

 

I played football as well and it makes you dizzy.  

 

I won't even cut my grass right now because at 40, I could die.  It was 87 degrees at 10:30 last night.

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

 

I played football as well and it makes you dizzy.  

 

I won't even cut my grass right now because at 40, I could die.  It was 87 degrees at 10:30 last night.

Hence why I do not live in FL anymore.  I am 40 as well and F that heat.  When i go visit family in FL, I am always reminded of why I won't live there again.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

 

I played football as well and it makes you dizzy.  

 

I won't even cut my grass right now because at 40, I could die.  It was 87 degrees at 10:30 last night.

 

It is 90 in London right now. I am actually melting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

But what started this branch of the discussion was the declaration of people like @Logic that the Bills made similar investments in improving their offensive personnel as they did their defensive personnel this offseason.    And that is not the truth at all.



Please feel free to point out where I said that the Bills made similar investments in improving their offensive personnel as they did their defensive personnel. You can't, because I didn't say it.


You don't get to accuse ME of mis-remembering or selectively remembering history and your opinions, as you have in the past, only to turn around and make up things that I never said just to further your agenda.

 

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

So based on your premise should Allen drop back and pass? Have designed roll outs? Because the risk is also real in thoae two situations. Maybe you should advocate for a short 3 step drop and quick passes. He should be safe that way. Come on. The Bills have a stud at QB. You should never limit his legs which limits the Bills wins. Of course don't be reckless. Utilizing Allens legs imho, isn't reckless. You restrict what he does and this team will likely never sniff a super bowl ring. Play to win! In 13 seconds...

And limiting his legs during the regular season is isn’t reckless either.  It’s smart.  We need him for 15 more years…..not 5.  If we can’t make the playoffs in this division this season without Josh getting 10+ carries a game, we shouldn’t be worrying about winning the SB.  We aren’t that good. But…..we are that good.  Josh is that good. He should be preserved in the regular season.  That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t run. He should.  But his runs should be limited to scrambles as opposed to designed runs. 
 

Then unleash him in the playoffs.  Unleashing him all season allows opposing defenses the opportunity to trial and error ways to stop his running.  
 

anyway, agree to disagree.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...