Bills OTAs

YoloinOhio

40 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I didn't say that, btw, lol.  But while you brought it up, what did this mysterious immediate pressure lead to? 500+ yards given up, and just 2 sacks? Oh yeah, great pressure by our front 4.

You clearly missed the point that I was supporting from the other poster.  Which was Cincys front 4 pressure and defense performed much much better than what we did.  Our defense lacked a top edge rusher all season, for the past few years.  Difficult to be a super bowl team, without one.

But continue to find useless "immediate pressure" stats, that Jerry Hughes seems to always be great at, but not actually getting the sack.  I think the front office agrees.  Take care as well

Where is the $90m coming from?  By my math, it's $72m...of which Von is $51m.  So....why are we throwing around this figure, when Vons contract heavily skews the discussion?

Point being, the front office saw a glaring need to find a true difference maker to rush the passer.  Outside of that 1 contract, we invested similar on both sides of the ball...albeit a bit more on defense, when considering our draft class.

Ya with you buddy. Been asking a great pass rusher for a couple years.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Magox said:

What sort of stats are these?  

And Cincinnati was rushing with 3 much of the second half and dropping back an additional defender.   

Bills pass rush was not championship caliber

You are asking everyone to not trust their lying eyes and go with some cherry picked stat.  Bottom line is that it was pretty much universally accepted that the pass rush was inadequate against Mahomes, he was sacked once and hit just twice.  He had tons of time against a 4 man pass rush and when there was a rusher it was easy for him to evade.

This is a weird hill for you or anyone to die on, pretty much everyone knows that the pass rush that day stunk.

The point is that the offense was miles ahead of the defense on that day and when the Bills lost last year, most of the time it was because the defense couldn't close out the game.

Selecting a 1st round DB and adding Von Miller addresses what were our biggest weaknesses that prevented us from getting to the SuperBowl.

I thought the pass rush vs Mahomes was good.  Mahomes did a tremendous job of feeling the pressure and escaping, while our secondary pass rush (clean up guys) were invisible and got stoned walled.  We had initial pressure but the DL as a group couldn’t converge and contain him.  

Edit:  That said….I’m glad we did signed Miller, Settle, Jones, Phillips and Shaq this offseason….along with elam.   The investment definitely cut into our offensive spending, but I think we’ll be ok barring certain injuries 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I thought the pass rush vs Mahomes was good.  Mahomes did a tremendous job of feeling the pressure and escaping, while our secondary pass rush (clean up guys) were invisible and got stoned walled.  We had initial pressure but the DL as a group couldn’t converge and contain him.  

Edit:  That said….I’m glad we did signed Miller, Settle, Jones, Phillips and Shaq this offseason….along with elam.   The investment definitely cut into our offensive spending, but I think we’ll be ok barring certain injuries 

Ya it was much needed on defense. Power running team's Bills struggling as well. Glad to pick up some good run defenders. Regular season In case if they play in playoffs as well in case. Needed a number 2 CB. Backup  lb who seems to doing well. Miller is going to help lots I feel. So much more helpful needs on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Where is the $90m coming from?  By my math, it's $72m...of which Von is $51m.  So....why are we throwing around this figure, when Vons contract heavily skews the discussion?

Point being, the front office saw a glaring need to find a true difference maker to rush the passer.  Outside of that 1 contract, we invested similar on both sides of the ball...albeit a bit more on defense, when considering our draft class.

@Logic was including free agency and the draft in whatever bullish*t he was trying to say..........he doesn't even know what the point was.......he was just triggered.    

And of course,  the first round pick is by far the most valuable chip..........Kaiir Elam alone adds $14M in guaranteed money.    By the time you get to round 3,  Bernard only got $1M gtd.  

By trade value they used about 900 points on defense and 300 points on offense in the draft.  

So they used about 3x as much guaranteed money on D in UFA and 3x the draft capital on D.

That's a significant disparity.........having to pick $65M off the top to call them "similar" only accentuates the point.    

They did add a lot of luke-warm bodies on offense and re-signed Bates(who I generously included as a $9M "addition")..........but they need bodies on offense because they have spent most of their first picks on defense under McBeane.

They have 5 of their own first round picks playing on defense.    They have just Allen and Diggs(by trade) as first round invested chips on offense.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I am a big fan of the Miller signing.  

But where you start to think they aren't supporting Josh Allen enough is when they invest in starter level contracts for both Settle, Jones AND Phillips............but then replace Beasley and Sanders with dirt cheap flyers and basically just exchanged Williams out with Saffold on their weakest unit as a team, the OL.    

How about throwing those flyers at the defensive side of the ball?   Why does Ed Oliver's backup need to be a $5M/year player but the starting slot receiver is a guy on a 1 year $2M prove-it deal?  :lol:

The difference between me and a lot of the dopes in this thread on the subject is that I can look at it objectively.    Thinking about it doesn't cause me any angst.

The people who think I am too critical will be pondering ending it all in their living room if the Bills lose at home to.......say the Jets on December 11........ next season because the OL couldn't block or the receivers can't get open.    But win or lose I will be out in the parking lot after the game eating wings and laughing and enjoying the day like I always do.   :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But where you start to think they aren't supporting Josh Allen enough is when they invest in starter level contracts for both Settle, Jones AND Phillips............but then replace Beasley and Sanders with dirt cheap flyers and basically just exchanged Williams out with Saffold on their weakest unit as a team, the OL.    

How about throwing those flyers at the defensive side of the ball?   Why does Ed Oliver's backup need to be a $5M/year player but the starting slot receiver is a guy on a 1 year $2M prove-it deal?  :lol:

The difference between me and a lot of the dopes in this thread on the subject is that I can look at it objectively.    Thinking about it doesn't cause me any angst.

The people who think I am too critical will be pondering ending it all in their living room if the Bills lose at home to.......say the Jets on December 11........ next season because the OL couldn't block or the receivers can't get open.    But win or lose I will be out in the parking lot after the game eating wings and laughing and enjoying the day like I always do.   :beer: 

I get where you’re coming from.  I agree with a lot of what you said.  Sucks that you have to be such a douche all the time.  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

They are definitely more comfortable evaluating defense than they are offense…. And I think McDermott plays a huge role in the disparity of defense vs offense investment.

You do???  We never would’ve thought, thanks for filling us in

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You’ve been beating this horse all offseason. Just admit you think Gabe Davis is trash. There is no other reason for this talk.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

WRT WR, they got Crowder cheap.  Great.  I'll let the season play out before declaring he's washed based solely on last year playing with a struggling rookie, or his salary.  Maybe there was a better, higher-priced slot WR out there I don't know.  And you've been banging the drum about rookie WRs because they are cheap for 4 years.  Well here we have Davis, who is on his rookie contract, who deserves his chance to start.  They weren't drafting another WR high.  They did draft Shakir, who I would put on the outside since there's a glut of slot WRs.

And Saffold replaces Bates and Bates replaces Williams, and they signed a bunch of veterans as backups.  They weren't signing anyone to replace Dawkins, Morse or Brown.  So if you put any stock into Kromer as an OL coach, you have to think he knows what he's doing with these moves.

Similarly at TE, they weren't paying big money for a 2nd TE so they took a shot on Howard.  I was never a big fan but I'll wait and see.  And it looks like Quintin Morris might be making some noise.

And at RB, they don't value the position highly enough to spend a really high pick on one (I consider Cook essentially a 3rd rounder after the trade downs) or pay a lot for one in FA.  Singletary averaged 4.6 YPC without the benefit of ripping-off huge runs or good run-blocking and Cook appears to be a guy who can make 3rd downs a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And yet somehow we’re still considered better (including on O) than we were in January, and #1 in King’s power rankings based on those same moves…

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/23/2022-nfl-power-rankings-fmia-peter-king/

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’ve been beating this horse all offseason. Just admit you think Gabe Davis is trash. There is no other reason for this talk.

I've never heard him say that. He thinks Davis has been injury prone, which is true, and that he is unproven as a consistent and reliable threat despite some individual spectacular days. I like Davis, but I would have preferred a bigger investment at outside speed receiver with size. 

On 6/17/2022 at 10:05 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills guaranteed $90M to just 4 defensive free agents plus their first round pick this offseason.

This to benefit what had been the league's #1 ranked defense in 2021.

They guaranteed just $25M combined to 12 offensive-side free agents/draft picks.......9 of which you listed.  

A relative pittance. 

This after they cut 15 and 16 game starters Williams and Beasley and also their second most productive boundary receiver(Sanders). 

They lost as much or more production on offense as they had on defense.      

So yes.........as @ScottLaw said......."they sacriced investment on offense" to the benefit of the defense.

Obviously.

Taking offense to that with your snarky list of tired vets and injury fliers was laughably illogical..........but that's why your screen name is an antiaptronym.........the opposite of what you are and what you do.

You and Scottlaw are clones, right? 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

@Logic was including free agency and the draft in whatever bullish*t he was trying to say..........he doesn't even know what the point was.......he was just triggered.    

And of course,  the first round pick is by far the most valuable chip..........Kaiir Elam alone adds $14M in guaranteed money.    By the time you get to round 3,  Bernard only got $1M gtd.  

By trade value they used about 900 points on defense and 300 points on offense in the draft.  

So they used about 3x as much guaranteed money on D in UFA and 3x the draft capital on D.

That's a significant disparity.........having to pick $65M off the top to call them "similar" only accentuates the point.    

They did add a lot of luke-warm bodies on offense and re-signed Bates(who I generously included as a $9M "addition")..........but they need bodies on offense because they have spent most of their first picks on defense under McBeane.

They have 5 of their own first round picks playing on defense.    They have just Allen and Diggs(by trade) as first round invested chips on offense.

Yeah, we clearly spent more $$$s and draft capital on the defensive side of the ball this offseason.  Everyone should be able to agree ont that.

"Opinions" come into play on what we could've/ should've done.  To me, the investments were targeted just as I saw our weaknesses last season/couple seasons, and at areas that would most upgrade our overall team results:

1. Needed a premier pass rusher ✔️ 

2. Needed more physical DTs/disruptive in the middle ✔️ 

3. Upgradable at CB2, more speed and length ✔️ 

4. Upgradable/Need playmakers with more YAC ability ✔️ 

Personally, alot boils down to what people think of these combination of players on offense.  I think we upgraded in three major ways:

1. More playing time for Davis, over Manny

2. YAC and speed in the slot: Crowder, more PT for McKenzie and Shakir Vs Beas who had clearly lost a step or two

3. Versatility with player personnel: we clearly wanted a pass catching back with elusiveness (Mckissic) but then got a good one in Cook.  Howard, even if not his former self, is a huge upgrade over Sweeney at TE2.  He at the very least gives a receiving/RZ threat.

On top of all that, I think Saffold is a better Guard than Williams (there's a clear reason he and other guys we cut are not signed). 

And, we have young talent that is still developing on offense that will command big $$$s in the next 2 offseasons (Knox, Davis).  So get ready for the $$$ investment to flip soon.

Not sure how educated fans can watch what happened to us in key games (ie: Chiefs, Titans, Pats game 1, even Steelers week 1) and realize that our defensive weaknesses were very real and needed fixed if we would have a shot to go to a super bowl

Edited by MasterStrategist
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Yeah, we clearly spent more $$$s and draft capital on the defensive side of the ball this offseason.  Everyone should be able to agree ont that.

"Opinions" come into play on what we could've/ should've done.  To me, the investments were targeted just as I saw our weaknesses last season/couple seasons, and at areas that would most upgrade our overall team results:

1. Needed a premier pass rusher ✔️ 

2. Needed more physical DTs/disruptive in the middle ✔️ 

3. Upgradable at CB2, more speed and length ✔️ 

4. Upgradable/Need playmakers with more YAC ability ✔️ 

Personally, alot boils down to what people think of these combination of players on offense.  I think we upgraded in three major ways:

1. More playing time for Davis, over Manny

2. YAC and speed in the slot: Crowder, more PT for McKenzie and Shakir Vs Beas who had clearly lost a step or two

3. Versatility with player personnel: we clearly wanted a pass catching back with elusiveness (Mckissic) but then got a good one in Cook.  Howard, even if not his former self, is a huge upgrade over Sweeney at TE2.  He at the very least gives a receiving/RZ threat.

On top of all that, I think Saffold is a better Guard than Williams (there's a clear reason he and other guys we cut are not signed). 

And, we have young talent that is still developing on offense that will command big $$$s in the next 2 offseasons (Knox, Davis).  So get ready for the $$$ investment to flip soon.

Not sure how educated fans can watch what happened to us in key games (ie: Chiefs, Titans, Pats game 1, even Steelers week 1) and realize that our defensive weaknesses were very real and needed fixed if we would have a shot to go to a super bowl

Well, I think this is nicely stated. The view that doesn't make sense to you, however, is capable of cogent rationale. It boils down to the judgement that the rules and inclination of the contemporary NFL inevitably favor the offense. Even the best defense has to tilt against not only the opposing offense, but the way the game is officiated and the predisposition to allow for high scoring games. In that case, it might be more prudent to stack the offense if you are fortunate enough to have a top echelon qb who magnifies the abilities of the players around him. That way, you are always in a position to compete even on days when the defense is subpar or the score escalates regardless because of the constant of what kind of game is prioritized.

None of that means ignore the defense or refuses to admit deficiencies that needed to be addressed. Then it becomes a question of what needs are prioritized over others. It's evident that so far the regime has heavily favored the D which is counter to the way the game is currently played. It doesn't mean it's wrong, but you are asking Allen to bear more of the load than he would have to if you increased investment with superior draft picks and free agents on his side of the ball. The model we are following increases the danger of a shortened career and injury when Allen turns into the chief running option in playoffs and important games down the stretch in the regular season. One accepts some of that for the post-season, but it is stll best to minimize the need.

Naturally, if young talent develps on offense, that mitigates the situation, but it doesn't change analyses of where we have chosen to concentrate resources.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

I get where you’re coming from.  I agree with a lot of what you said.  Sucks that you have to be such a douche all the time.  

You do???  We never would’ve thought, thanks for filling us in

Does it suck?   Nobody can legitimately argue that I don't offer a lot of well supported football opinions.   I back up what I say and my objective is to promote discussion.

But in lieu of people wanting to actually discuss football topics........the board needs its villains.  

If Scott and I weren't around it would be someone like you getting personally attacked and straw manned because you have learned to "dabble" in reality at least.    I don't think you could take that.......I've seen how you react to the extremely mild criticism you get........it would bruise the homer inside you.

Scott and I have clearly identified roles.........people attack him and he doesn't give them the satisfaction of returning their vitriol.   Which makes them angrier and in some cases, like Donny Two-ply......it gives them SOMETHING to contribute to the board.

I give their snark right back to them and then some.......and laugh.......which hurts their feelings.   If they can't take it or if they start jumping into football discussions to vaguely air their personal grievances with me,  I block them.  Which makes them follow my posts even closer.   That's how this works.    

The board can't be split 50/50 between folks who just drink the kool aid and those who are waiting for the glass to fill up first........but it wouldn't be very entertaining if it was a complete circle jerk.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's evident that so far the regime has heavily favored the D

I don’t believe it’s evident at all.

• Acquired draft capital to move up and select Josh Allen - the most important player on the roster
  • Drafted running backs in three consecutive years in the 3rd round or higher
  • Traded a 1st round pick for Diggs
  • Drafted Knox in the 3rd round
  • Signed Beasley, Brown, Sanders as FA WRs

A lot of people want to believe the Bills have overly concentrated on defense because they associate McDermott with being a defensive-minded coach.  I don’t think the facts support that assessment.

• Like (+1) 5

27 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I think this is nicely stated. The view that doesn't make sense to you, however, is capable of cogent rationale. It boils down to the judgement that the rules and inclination of the contemporary NFL inevitably favor the offense. Even the best defense has to tilt against not only the opposing offense, but the way the game is officiated and the predisposition to allow for high scoring games. In that case, it might be more prudent to stack the offense if you are fortunate enough to have a top echelon qb who magnifies the abilities of the players around him. That way, you are always in a position to compete even on days when the defense is subpar or the score escalates regardless because of the constant of what kind of game is prioritized.

None of that means ignore the defense or refuses to admit deficiencies that needed to be addressed. Then it becomes a question of what needs are prioritized over others. It's evident that so far the regime has heavily favored the D which is counter to the way the game is currently played. It doesn't mean it's wrong, but you are asking Allen to bear more of the load than he would have to if you increased investment with superior draft picks and free agents on his side of the ball. The model we are following increases the danger of a shortened career and injury when Allen turns into the chief running option in playoffs and important games down the stretch in the regular season. One accepts some of that for the post-season, but it is stll best to minimize the need.

Naturally, if young talent develps on offense, that mitigates the situation, but it doesn't change analyses of where we have chosen to concentrate resources.

Saying that the NFL has turned into an offensive league, isn't absent on me or others.

I'm simply saying where would we have looked to "stack" offensive talent, that we don't already have?  Oline is the only area, specifically G play, that I'd say sure.  But they clearly think Bates can be an answer and Saffold will be a good/solid addition ( no worse than we've had, imo).

The skill players are currently: Diggs, Davis, Knox, Motor, Cook, Crowder, McKenzie, Shakir, and Moss.  Only potential gap is if Davis and Diggs go down for a prolonged period.  This is a stacked group, that has 1 all-pro, likely 2 future pro bowlers in Davis and Knox, and other talent.

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Saying that the NFL has turned into an offensive league, isn't absent on me or others.

I'm simply saying where would we have looked to "stack" offensive talent, that we don't already have?  Oline is the only area, specifically G play, that I'd say sure.  But they clearly think Bates can be an answer and Saffold will be a good/solid addition ( no worse than we've had, imo).

The skill players are currently: Diggs, Davis, Knox, Motor, Cook, Crowder, McKenzie, Shakir, and Moss.  Only potential gap is if Davis and Diggs go down for a prolonged period.  This is a stacked group, that has 1 all-pro, likely 2 future pro bowlers in Davis and Knox, and other talent.

In your list, the only one who is proven elite is Diggs. Some may get there -- I like Knox, some are serviceable vets like Crowder. Rb room is not exceptional, though Singletary was playing well late and in the post-season. I've already said elsewhere I wanted an elite outside WR, that's where I would have invested, though I understand Elam and that's not foolish.

20 minutes ago, eball said:

I don’t believe it’s evident at all.

• Acquired draft capital to move up and select Josh Allen - the most important player on the roster
  • Drafted running backs in three consecutive years in the 3rd round or higher
  • Traded a 1st round pick for Diggs
  • Drafted Knox in the 3rd round
  • Signed Beasley, Brown, Sanders as FA WRs

A lot of people want to believe the Bills have overly concentrated on defense because they associate McDermott with being a defensive-minded coach.  I don’t think the facts support that assessment.

I suppose there is some semantic gray area. No one is saying there has been no attention to offense. It's the relative weight, which you interpret one way and I another.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is, again, looking at team building in a vacuum. Look at the offseason in context of what we lost from last year:

Major defensive losses:

-Starting CB (not to mention White still recovering from an ACL tear)

-2 starting edge rushers

-2 starting/rotational DTs

Major offensive losses:

-Starting/rotational outside WR

-Starting slot WR

-Starting guard

If you rewind the roster to just before free agency we literally wouldn't have been able to field a starting defense. The starting offense would have still been okay, albeit quite thin at a couple positions. The two biggest needs by far were pass rusher and CB. Both positions were already needs during the season and got worse. It was obvious then that the defense was going to need major investments to keep it in the top tier, and that's what Beane did. The offense needed gaps filled in and ideally one dynamic playmaker added, and that's what Beane did.

Basically both sides of the team added players to fill every hole that was lost in the offseason, and both sides got one luxury player added in the draft - Cook for the offense, Bernard for the defense. So it was actually an even distribution of investment when you consider what the offense and defense needed to compete at a championship level.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

In your list, the only one who is proven elite is Diggs. Some may get there -- I like Knox, some are serviceable vets like Crowder. Rb room is not exceptional, though Singletary was playing well late and in the post-season. I've already said elsewhere I wanted an elite outside WR, that's where I would have invested, though I understand Elam and that's not foolish.

I suppose there is some semantic gray area. No one is saying there has been no attention to offense. It's the relative weight, which you interpret one way and I another.

Noted that Davis is not high on your list.  Many teammates, front office. and coaches have been singing his praises this offseason. 

That's what this truly boils down to for many...is Davis who we think can be a solid/consistent #2 opposite Diggs.  Those in your camp think we needed to upgrade, while others have seen enough to have faith he will deliver for us.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Beane started off one of his pre draft pressers by praising Gabe Davis

Yeah and he said in his post draft presser, in reference to picking Cook, that they wanted to obtain a "dynamic playmaker" in this draft. So WR was of course on the table. What they weren't going to do was reach down their board to take one just because. In the draft they added a pass catching RB and a WR, in free agency they improved TE2 and the slot position. But for you it was never going to be good enough unless they took a WR in the 1st round. You said as much before the draft. Get over it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.