Jump to content

If trap games existed, these three would be them according to BillsWire


 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Big Turk changed the title to If trap games existed, these three would be them according to BillsWire

Imo, trap games exist more for fans, not so much for the teams/players, it’s a cliché thing mostly, something for TV talk show guys and gals to pontificate on, kinda like the “looking past” a team saying, just saying…, 👍

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Imo, trap games exist more for fans, not so much for the teams/players, it’s a cliché thing mostly, something for TV talk show guys and gals to pontificate on, kinda like the “looking past” a team saying, just saying…, 👍

After Jacksonville I’ll put a bit of weight on the trap game concept. 

  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But we all know trap games don't exist right?

 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/3-trap-games-buffalo-bills-2022-nfl-season/

 

TLDR: 

Week 3 Fins 

Week 5 Steelers 

Week 16 Bears

 

 

Squish the Fish Week is NEVER a trap game. The f***ing stealers beat us last year and might be best us again, it’s not a trap game….

Maybe, “da bears,”  is a trap game.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

After Jacksonville I’ll put a bit of weight on the trap game concept. 

Sometimes good teams play like poop, and get beat by not so good teams, it happens, any given Sunday as is said. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Sometimes good teams play like poop, and get beat by not so good teams, it happens, any given Sunday as is said. 

Being held to only two field goals and ***** out in the second half is a bit beyond just playing like 💩. IIRC a few Jaguars players commented of the Bills being listless and not engaged. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

After Jacksonville I’ll put a bit of weight on the trap game concept. 


Nope. See below. 

 

17 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Sometimes good teams play like poop, and get beat by not so good teams, it happens, any given Sunday as is said. 


Exactly. The point isn’t that good teams never lose to bad teams…it’s that the W-L percentage in those games is historically consistent regardless of who the good team played the week before or the week after. Really simple concept. 

 

Edited by eball
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Being held to only two field goals and ***** out in the second half is a bit beyond just playing like 💩. IIRC a few Jaguars players commented of the Bills being listless and not engaged. 

I’d call that playing like poop,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

After Jacksonville I’ll put a bit of weight on the trap game concept. 

 

Bad teams always have about a 20% chance to win a given game versus good teams...when it happens it's not a trap game, simply the law of averages.

17 minutes ago, eball said:


Nope. See below. 

 


Exactly. The point isn’t that good teams never lose to bad teams…it’s that the W-L percentage in those games is historically consistent regardless of who the good team played the week before or the week after. Really simple concept. 

 

 

Yup...in fact a lengthy study done showed the good teams win "trap games" versus bad teams at a slightly higher rate than they win non trap games against bad teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is in the eye of the beholder. If you play like crap and beat yourself then it is a trap game.  If you play well but the underdog wins well that is just playing the games.  

 

As for this season, I think it will be Bills at Jets Nov 6.  Buffalo will be beyond the first 6 game gauntlet and coming off a home win over the Packers.  Jets are an improved roster.  Jets 27 Bills 17

  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Sometimes good teams play like poop, and get beat by not so good teams, it happens, any given Sunday as is said. 

…and playing like poop against cellar dwellers can cost you the #1 seed and home field advantage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BTB said:

…and playing like poop against cellar dwellers can cost you the #1 seed and home field advantage. 

Evidently,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

After Jacksonville I’ll put a bit of weight on the trap game concept. 

 

Statistically it shows the "trap game" is more a myth, more like something fans or the media say to make sense why a favored team loses to an underdog.  Yet, underdogs win every week.  Its why historically, there have only been 5 teams in NFL history go winless.    And when you think about all the teams that had say 1, 2 or 3 wins...well odds are when they won those games they beat teams better than them given a team with 1-3 wins is either the worst team that year or among the worst.  

 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can accept McDermott’s Bills over the years  have played down to their competition on more than a few occasions, and I have always supported this regime… 

With that said if we lose to the Bears in week 16 I might have to start questioning this staff a little more 😂

Even if we somehow have the #1 seed locked up at that point and play our backups, even if it’s 80 mph winds and 3 feet of snow, we better beat this years version of the Bears. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Imo, trap games exist more for fans, not so much for the teams/players, it’s a cliché thing mostly, something for TV talk show guys and gals to pontificate on, kinda like the “looking past” a team saying, just saying…, 👍

All games where our opponent plays physical against our finesse offense and dfense - will always be TRAP games.  Last year Steelers, Titans, Colts, NE and Jacksonville - all physically hit us everywhere and we couldn't recover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

All games where our opponent plays physical against our finesse offense and dfense - will always be TRAP games.  Last year Steelers, Titans, Colts, NE and Jacksonville - all physically hit us everywhere and we couldn't recover.

That doesn’t make it a “trap game” it makes it an out hustled and out coached game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know coaches will always say their team never overlooks anyone. It's hard to win in the NFL, right?

 

There's no doubt in my mind they thought they can just sleep walk into Jacksonville and leave with a W. 

 

When they realized the Jags came to play it was too late. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I know coaches will always say their team never overlooks anyone. It's hard to win in the NFL, right?

 

There's no doubt in my mind they thought they can just sleep walk into Jacksonville and leave with a W. 

 

When they realized the Jags came to play it was too late. 

 

That doesn't make it a trap game tho...that just means they weren't prepared.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

 

As for this season, I think it will be Bills at Jets Nov 6.  Buffalo will be beyond the first 6 game gauntlet and coming off a home win over the Packers.  Jets are an improved roster.  Jets 27 Bills 17

 

You make a good point, but...no! Jets still gonna Jet, at least this year.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...