If trap games existed, these three would be them according to BillsWire

Big Turk

Right, trap games don't exist.

Neither does the idea of "momentum" in sports.

And about 1,000 other things sports fans enjoy discussing, but which don't actually exist.

One of my favorites is talking about who should be team captain in any sport.  Players don't give a crap about that stuff! 

Every team has its leaders and the team knows who they are; who is wearing a "C" on his shirt is meaningless crap only worried about by fans.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Right, trap games don't exist.

Neither does the idea of "momentum" in sports.

Momentum is a state of mind and is indeed a real thing in sports. Most often it occurs in a negative sense for individuals or teams who see things going badly and then press to recover, usually with poor results. 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I'm not sure an AFCCG could ever qualify as a trap game. One of the components that has to be there is that your opponent has to be vastly inferior to you.  Don't see how you could make a case that a team playing in the AFCCG meets that criteria.

And  that  illustrates part of the problem - there is no hard definition of a trap game.  So the purported statistical studies are based on a subjective definition of the term "trap game".

41 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

And  that  illustrates part of the problem - there is no hard definition of a trap game.  So the purported statistical studies are based on a subjective definition of the term "trap game".

There was a study done that clearly defined what they considered a "trap game" and then they went back 15-20 years to see how teams that were "supposed" to win those games did.  I have posted it a few times in here, if I get some time, I will go locate the book and then post what their criteria was.  Some would debate the criteria used, but it seemed like a fair definition to me.  

The fins got better this off season as far as talent not real sure how the coaching side of the team will do but that will be determined but i feel they could be sneaky good if they can actually build on what they did last season & if Tua progresses in this new system but i don't see that right away it will take him time .

I don't believe in trap games.  I do believe that no NFL team is so great that they are running at 95-100% efficiency for every game.  As they say, "the other guys get paid too".   So the Bills WILL have a couple down games that coincide with the opponent having their A game...and those could be losses that the media will coin as "trap games".  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/23/2022 at 9:08 PM, RyanC883 said:

the Steelers SHOULD NOT beat us.  We have a much better roster at nearly every position except RB and OLB/DE (give slight edge to Watt over Von Miller, perhaps it's a push).  Why they generally beat us is bizarre.  And I live in PGH and am quite sick of it!!!!

They won on a punt block returned for TD...and you could sense that it was coming...that was the chilling point of that punt block

The steelers play tough defense...our offense still hasn't been able to overcome that....

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Statistically, trap games do not exist.

No. Statistically teams do not lose trap games. The concept exists whether teams lose them or not. A trap game isn't only a trap game if a team loses. People talk about trap games before the event not after. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No. Statistically teams do not lose trap games. The concept exists whether teams lose them or not. A trap game isn't only a trap game if a team loses. People talk about trap games before the event not after. 

Nah, disagree with you.  Though it would be helpful if you defined, clearly, what YOU think a trap game is.

The entire concept of trap games is unsound and has no basis in fact.

Like many other widely discussed topics among sports fans.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Nah, disagree with you.  Though it would be helpful if you defined, clearly, what YOU think a trap game is.

The entire concept of trap games is unsound and has no basis in fact.

Like many other widely discussed topics among sports fans.

I have in this thread. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/22/2022 at 4:16 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think it is in the eye of the beholder. If you play like crap and beat yourself then it is a trap game.  If you play well but the underdog wins well that is just playing the games.  

As for this season, I think it will be Bills at Jets Nov 6.  Buffalo will be beyond the first 6 game gauntlet and coming off a home win over the Packers.  Jets are an improved roster.  Jets 27 Bills 17

I am very good....

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.