Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I agree with this. I don't mean McDermott micromanages and makes every decision. They trust each other, they empower each other. But of the two of them the one with the most power in the organisation is Sean. I really struggle to forsee any scenario in which Sean would go and Brandon would stay. 

I don't think that is the case though.  First, I think there are both almost equally admired throughout the organization all the way to the top.  I do not think it is it will a "he goes first" situation at all.  I think if there was ever a change made, it will come down to why we are making the change.

If the team comes up short continuously in the playoffs and we are getting our coached on the field, McD will be on the hot seat long before Beane.  If we are coming up short in the playoffs because we can't get the right personnel on the field to shore up weaknesess, then Beane will be under more heat than McD.  

I certianly do not think either is on any kind of a hot seat and fully expect them both to be hear a long time and have SB wins on their resumes.  But if this team gets bounced early in an upset in the playoffs this season, there is no doubt McD's seat is going to get hotter than Beane's.  GM's who deliver elite franchise QB's, and build super bowl caliber rosters are never the first to go over a coach when that team is under performing.  Beane is already getting praise as the top GM in football in some circles and polls, while McD is still being criticized for how we lost last year, how we looked out coached and classed the year before, and how we shot our selves in the foot the year before that against Houston too many times.  

I don't personally put all that on McD, and I feel he is one of the best coaches in football right now.  I don't think there is any way he would lose his job this year.  But, if its an early playoff exit with this roster, with these expectations, then its going to be him who is going to find his seat getting toast before Beane IMHO.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree if that happens McDermott is out. But Beane will be gone with him.

Completely agree---if that's the reason McDermott is dismissed. (Which once again, I DO NOT expect to happen for quite some time)

BUT the one situation I can see MdD being dismissed and Beane staying, is if McD is fired for some kind or Urban Meyer like scandal. Then I can definately see Beane remaining. But this situation is so far fetched, knowing what I know about McD, it's barely worth discussing. .

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think that is the case though.  First, I think there are both almost equally admired throughout the organization all the way to the top. 

From what I am told, by people who would know, that is not true. McDermott is absolutely the prodigal son to the Pegulas.  Look who got the new deal first too. I am told Beane was only being extended on the basis that McDermott signed. That is why it had to be McD first.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

From what I am told, by people who would know, that is not true. McDermott is absolutely the prodigal son to the Pegulas.  Look who got the new deal first too. I am told Beane was only being extended on the basis that McDermott signed. That is why it had to be McD first.

I get that, but thats today...that is not next year after say an early playoff exit again.  We don know how he will be seen if that happens again.  I am definitely skeptical that holds true if we see another early exit this next year or two in the playoffs.  Losing changes peoples opinions real fast, especially once certain expectations are established.  

This is now a SB or bust team this year and the next few seasons.  Getting into the playoffs first and second rounds is not an accomplishment now, its a let down.  This team minimal expectation is AFCCG no matter what.  Entering a season with #1 Offense, #1 Defense, and a perennial MVP candidate at QB and the odds on favorite to win the SB.  You enter the season with that and then don't get out of the 2nd round of playoffs again, or even go one and done, then your coaching seat is definitely changing temperatures and getting warm.  

We have an early exit this after how we have exited the last few years, I just can't see how he doesn't get more scrutiny and end up with his seat warm heading into the following season.    

Don't get me wrong, I love McD and think he is a top 5 coach right now and I have all the confidence in him today moving forward.  Just saying this team was ready to win a SB last year, it looks to be improved even more this year.  Expectations are now high, and coming up short moving forward now will carry a lot more negative weight than what has happened the last 3 playoff exits where we were a team on the rise, not the team to beat per se.  

Personally, I think both McD and Beane are safe no matter what 2 more seasons...this one, and next.  But an early exit this year and I definitely think McD enters that following year under some pressure to deliver or his future could be in doubt otherwise.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think that is the case though.  First, I think there are both almost equally admired throughout the organization all the way to the top.  I do not think it is it will a "he goes first" situation at all.  I think if there was ever a change made, it will come down to why we are making the change.

If the team comes up short continuously in the playoffs and we are getting our coached on the field, McD will be on the hot seat long before Beane.  If we are coming up short in the playoffs because we can't get the right personnel on the field to shore up weaknesess, then Beane will be under more heat than McD.  

I certianly do not think either is on any kind of a hot seat and fully expect them both to be hear a long time and have SB wins on their resumes.  But if this team gets bounced early in an upset in the playoffs this season, there is no doubt McD's seat is going to get hotter than Beane's.  GM's who deliver elite franchise QB's, and build super bowl caliber rosters are never the first to go over a coach when that team is under performing.  Beane is already getting praise as the top GM in football in some circles and polls, while McD is still being criticized for how we lost last year, how we looked out coached and classed the year before, and how we shot our selves in the foot the year before that against Houston too many times.  

I don't personally put all that on McD, and I feel he is one of the best coaches in football right now.  I don't think there is any way he would lose his job this year.  But, if its an early playoff exit with this roster, with these expectations, then its going to be him who is going to find his seat getting toast before Beane IMHO.  

Sorry, I have to disagree. IF we flame out in the first round, he’s still safe. VERY safe. It’s very hard to win the Super Bowl, especially coming out of the AFC these days. He’s our guy. He built this culture. I can’t wait to see this team and this group of men out there competing again. 

To the OP, under NO realistic circumstances can I see us getting rid of our HC after this season. Period. 

Do you think the Eagles might like Andy Reid back? 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sorry, I have to disagree. IF we flame out in the first round, he’s still safe. VERY safe. It’s very hard to win the Super Bowl, especially coming out of the AFC these days. He’s our guy. He built this culture. I can’t wait to see this team and this group of men out there competing again. 

To the OP, under NO realistic circumstances can I see us getting rid of our HC after this season. Period. 

Do you think the Eagles might like Andy Reid back? 

You misunderstand me Augie...I totally 100% agree McD is safe, and NOT on a hot seat bud.  What I was responding to is who would be the first to be on the hot seat at some point, McD or Beane.  I was saying that if we have a couple of one and done seasons in a row in the playoffs for example, McD would have a hotter seat than Beane IMO.

But make no mistake about it, I absolutely have full confidence in McD and Beane, and believe they are the best tandem in the league.  In no way do I think they are on a hot seat now and I do believe they will deliver Buffalo a SB.

I was participating in others speculation that if things didn't go as expected, who of the two would face a hot seat first.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

Not gonna read 13 pages of post bumping. My option was not in the ABC or D. If there is another meltdown like the 13 seconds, he be gone

Edited by flaz
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

Seventeen years. Seventeen lowly, lame, crappy, miserable years. 

In those 17 years:

-Seven different head coaches 

-Five different general managers 

-Fifteen different starting quarterbacks

-Two winning seasons (barely, 9-7 in 2004 and 2014)

-Zero playoff appearances

The McBeane Era

-Five total seasons

-One head coach

-One GM

-Four different starting quarterbacks, but only one starting QB from Week 12 of 2018, and he's the franchise guy the other seven coaches and five GMs could never find.

-Four winning seasons 

-Four playoff appearances

-Three playoff victories 

-Have built one of, if not the best overall roster in the league. 

To answer the poll: no, there's no situation where I'd find any reason to move on from McBeane after this season. The Pegulas giving each guy a five (or was it six?) year contract extension tells me they feel the same. 

Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure if some people actually value what McB brought to Buffalo.  I think these people think anyone can coach JA to a SB.  They also drafted JA and groomed him. So if I was the owner I’d be quite happy w my product. They are the ***** 2nd most liked team in the world. 

excellent post by black label above this.  

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2022 at 3:46 PM, FilthyBeast said:

Now that the dust has settled from the draft and we move closer to the 2022 season, was curious what the current pulse is on McDermott. Expectations are obviously sky high in Buffalo and it's truly SB or bust as far as a lot of fans and pundits see it.

On one hand the McDermott is still the best HC this franchise has seen since Levy and the 90's, but on the other the stench of playoff loss in KC still looms large and could be an issue in the locker room if this team gets off to a slow start in 2022. I would go as far to say his regular season record against playoff teams and never being able to win a road playoff game is a root cause for serious concern as well.

Adding a poll here but personally there are 2 scenarios I would pull the trigger on dumping McDermott after 2022:

1) We have a losing season/miss playoffs (with major injuries NOT being a factor in this).

2) We lose to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season regardless of round or whether game is in Buffalo/KC.

Either of these happen and the Pegulas have to seriously ask themselves where they seem the direction of this team heading under McDermott knowing you are only going to get so many bites at the apple once Allen's contract kicks in similar to Mahomes in KC. Beane cannot show blind loyalty either IMO and look at himself and McDermott as a package deal moving forward.

Obviously, not a popular post. Missing the playoffs would be horrible. If Allen is healthy then coach McDs seat will be hot.

Personally, I think Coach McD did some of his worst coaching last year. He was unprepared in the opener vs the Steelers and made little to no halftime adjustments. Additionally, look at the Indy and games as well. The playoff loss is all on him!!!  Now don't get me wrong, I do believe he's a very good coach. I don't think he has lost the locker room. This season will tell us a lot about if his time is nearing. Sometimes it's time to move on, get new blood in, etc...The major issue I see is no one out there whose available seems like a better option than Coach McD. Perhaps a Sean Payton or Brian Flores? In concluding, Coach MCD is solid and still has the respect of the players. He has built a culture of winning and the players still play hard for him. As for the xs and os, I think he was slightly weaker last year. I'm not going to give you hate for talking about moving on from coach McD. I think it's a legit question in next couple of years. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get that, but thats today...that is not next year after say an early playoff exit again.  We don know how he will be seen if that happens again.  I am definitely skeptical that holds true if we see another early exit this next year or two in the playoffs.  Losing changes peoples opinions real fast, especially once certain expectations are established.  

This is now a SB or bust team this year and the next few seasons.  Getting into the playoffs first and second rounds is not an accomplishment now, its a let down.  This team minimal expectation is AFCCG no matter what.  Entering a season with #1 Offense, #1 Defense, and a perennial MVP candidate at QB and the odds on favorite to win the SB.  You enter the season with that and then don't get out of the 2nd round of playoffs again, or even go one and done, then your coaching seat is definitely changing temperatures and getting warm.  

We have an early exit this after how we have exited the last few years, I just can't see how he doesn't get more scrutiny and end up with his seat warm heading into the following season.    

Don't get me wrong, I love McD and think he is a top 5 coach right now and I have all the confidence in him today moving forward.  Just saying this team was ready to win a SB last year, it looks to be improved even more this year.  Expectations are now high, and coming up short moving forward now will carry a lot more negative weight than what has happened the last 3 playoff exits where we were a team on the rise, not the team to beat per se.  

Personally, I think both McD and Beane are safe no matter what 2 more seasons...this one, and next.  But an early exit this year and I definitely think McD enters that following year under some pressure to deliver or his future could be in doubt otherwise.  

I am completely on board that there comes a point where McDermott comes under pressure and maybe it is even decided to move on. But if they move on from McDermott his staff is cleared out. That includes his GM. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am completely on board that there comes a point where McDermott comes under pressure and maybe it is even decided to move on. But if they move on from McDermott his staff is cleared out. That includes his GM. 

The good news is that none of its gonna happen given we will be hosting that Lombardi trophy at the end of this season :)

:beer:

On 5/16/2022 at 5:49 PM, whorlnut said:

My breaking point would be if he nearly single handedly is the reason we lose in the playoffs again. Last season is still painful. He didn’t do a single thing right in those 13 seconds. From the botched kickoff, to calling two timeouts and not making the right defensive calls. I am ok with him unless he has a complete meltdown again. 

Well being the team that made it to the SB 4 times & lost i'm thinking that McD would & should have quite a bit of rope , this team was in the longest winning drought in professional sports history & has now been winning every single year since he's been here so because he doesn't take you to the SB every year you want him gone ?

Let's look at some teams that should be teams the Bills should pattern them selves after & my first is the Steelers who have had only 3 HC's in 52 years or & 16 over all 18 in 50+ and 2 championships to show for it so stability hasn't been a strong suit of the Bills .

I think other than a complete melt down during the season but i don't see that happening given who they have on the roster i would keep McD it is rare that you get a team stepping together the way that the GM & coaching staff does .

Besides if those calls last year were made by the people he hired then they are the ones that ned to be gone . Could that once again have been the reason why Farwell left because he screwed up then why did Frasier called that D at that time sure McD is the HC but he hires those people to make those calls .

Ultimately it all rests on his shoulders at the end of the day but i'm not ready to get rid of him as of yet i think he has learned and will possibly make some more mistakes at times but over all I'd rather have him for the future than most any one else out there at this time .