Anyone have a Peloton, or have other recommendations?

Virgil

I've been working from home for a year now and my weight it a problem.  I'm fat enough now where basic activities take the wind out of me.  I need motivation or entertainment while working out and keep hearing about the Peloton. I like that they have interactive classes through the screen.

Anyone have any reviews or alternative recommendations?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I've been working from home for a year now and my weight it a problem.  I'm fat enough now where basic activities take the wind out of me.  I need motivation or entertainment while working out and keep hearing about the Peloton. I like that they have interactive classes through the screen.

Anyone have any reviews or alternative recommendations?

i have just your normal recumbent exercise bike, and I think it does the trick. 

if you are really out of shape, that may be more realistic to ease into than doing a bunch of spinning classes on a peleton.

• Like (+1) 2

We got one probably 5-6 years ago and I figured it would be a 4K coat rack. I’ve been pleasantly surprised that we’ve actually gotten a lot of use out of it. Wife rides pretty regularly and I’ll go through spurts when I’m trying to get in better shape (I usually slack during football season 😬). Just signed up for a 1/2 marathon in the fall about two weeks ago so I’ll be getting back in the saddle.

I’ll say this, it’s a hell of a workout. I can be in good enough cardio shape to go run 10 miles no problem but a 30 min ride on the peloton can make me feel like I’m going to die. That being said, there are tons of easy classes for beginners. Just don’t get mad like I do when I see people like “grandmaRides 74F” passing me on the leader board 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

what I like about the Peloton is the scenic rides- pacific coast, desert, french alps...and if you have one ounce of competitiveness in you, the leader board is what gets you in serious shape.  I always try and break the top 10%

• Like (+1) 2

I ended up getting a Nordictrack, and it's been fantastic.  They have everything you could want - instructor led classes, and amazing scenic rides w/ guides all over the world (and some of those guides can really push you).

I'm sure Peloton has the same, but I've been 100% happy since I got the Nordictrack last year.

• Like (+1) 2

We have a Schwin IC4 and use the peloton app with an iPad. The bike was a fraction of the cost of the Peloton. You don’t get live classes, and it’s actually more expensive per month to have a peloton membership without the bike, but it was a much smaller investment up front. 

You can still get some of the data and use the recorded classes/rides, although it is admittedly not as detailed and accurate. 

It was a good way for us to see if it’s something we use enough to make a larger investment into. We got the bike over the initial Covid quarantine in March 2020, so it has held up well. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

You can buy all of the exercise equipment that you want, but 75% of getting in shape involves eating properly.

So true. You can exercise for hours a day then eat all the calories you burned with a couple handfuls of crappy food, or a couple glasses of fatty/sugary drinks.

It takes a LOT of exercise to burn off the excess calories you eat.

I’ve been exercising on and off for a few years now but changing my eating habits made the biggest difference in my weight loss, by far. I lost a lot more weight by changing eating habits than anything else. Just simply Eliminating snacks between meals made a big difference. I actually lost more weight over the winter by eliminating snacks (with much less activity) than I did over the summer where I was taking 10+ mile bike rides at least 3x a week but still eating snacks between meals and at night.

exercise is still super important though, especially if you live a somewhat sedentary lifestyle. They say that’s one of the worst things for your health, next to smoking and obesity.

Virgil - one easy thing I’d recommend (besides cutting out snacks between meals) is switching to water as your main drink. I buy bottles of fresh (100% natural) lemon juice and do a few squeezes into my water for flavor. It’s pretty much all I drink now (plain water or lemon water). 

I look at it this way -  I would much rather eat my calories than drink them.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/dp-airgometer-exercise-bike-non-131448141

I bought myself one of these exercise bikes ⬆️ . There are usually lots of them for sale used in your local classifieds. I liked that it was cheap and that it also worked out your upper body at the same time. Plus the fan wheel helps keep you cooler.

then I also bought this mini stair stepper:

https://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Stepper-Exercise-Equipment-Resistance/dp/B09NJ4VFGV

i actually use the stair stepper more than anything else. I work from home as well and try to use it at least 3-5 times a day, just for short periods of time. Like, I’ll take a short break every hour or two and use the stepper for 5 mins. Or sometimes later at night when I’m watching TV I’ll make myself get up during commercials to use the stepper until the show comes back on. 

I also bought one of the old original Total Gyms. I got it cheap. I really enjoy the total gym because there’s so many different exercises you can do on it.

I may eventually get myself a cheap rowing machine too, since it’s a quick way to get in an upper+lower body workout.

So all in, I spent maybe a couple hundred (if that) and I’m plenty happy with the equipment I have. If I were you I’d start with cheaper stuff or just do workouts without exercise equipment. Set small goals.

Too often we think buying exercise equipment will make us exercise, but it won’t. It may motivate you to use it for a short time but you have to find your own motivation to get fit/healthy.

When I first started working out again I downloaded this free app called “7 minute workout: fitness app”.

I’d highly recommend checking it out. It’s a really easy way to get started. There are tons of different 7 min routines, or you can design your own from the list of exercises. Then they have videos that run on timers, so it walks you through each exercise (usually roughly 15-30 seconds each). 

here’s the link to the iOS version of the app:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/7-minute-workout-fitness-app/id806995720

• Like (+1) 1

i think everyone is right with the diet combined with exercise.  

my suggestion would be getting out of the house and going to the gym.  i personally do far better when i have to leave to work out, and for whatever reason, seeing other people work out motivates me.  also, don't forget weight training.  cardio is great, but you may get more of the results you want with combined cardio and weights.  i don't do enough cardio as i should because i don't love it, but i look lean due to spending time on core muscles and weights.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

my suggestion would be getting out of the house and going to the gym.  i personally do far better when i have to leave to work out, and for whatever reason, seeing other people work out motivates me.  also, don't forget weight training.  cardio is great, but you may get more of the results you want with combined cardio and weights.  i don't do enough cardio as i should because i don't love it, but i look lean due to spending time on core muscles and weights.

Lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

Shut up, fatty.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.