Anyone have a Peloton, or have other recommendations?

Virgil

The big thing with "Peleton" is that they are selling you an ongoing monthly subscription fee that allows you to sort of "interact" with some sort of training program that you watch on the bike itself, to sort of coach you or motivate you to workout.

I would hate something like that (the endless monthly fee) and you don't need BS like that in order to lose weight.

What you need is determination and willpower.  If you don't have that, the Peleton will not lose weight for you, but it will suck $$$ out of your wallet!  

For starters, just get out of the house and briskly walk for 1/2 hour (and not less) at a time.  AT LEAST 3 days a week.  Less does not count.  Do it for a month or two until you grow into it and it becomes easy for you.  Then it's time to step it up again to something harder.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

that is great. I hear you on the pics. I didn’t do that either. I went from 213

and at one point bottomed out to a lean 148. Took me about a year.  I stayed at the 148-155 range steadily for about 3 years. I was on cruise control. 

When Covid hit, I got away from the app and from exercising and started eating poorly. So now I am at 175. All the excess sitting near my waist, of course!  It is a lot tougher to get back the drive to use the app and get down to my ideal weight. 

I would actually like to only drop to like 165-168, but lose fat and build muscle. 

I hear you man. I tend to have momentum in things like this and I do expect to lose it at some point...I'm trying different things to stay interested. Bike, boxing, yoga, straight weight lifting, etc.

Nice thing is, you know you can do it, you've done so much already. Big ups to you man, and that is no joke. Give yourself lots of credit for the work you've put in, that's a damn good amount of weight you lost. IMO that also can help fire you up to go the next step. You've made big investments in yourself, too much to go backwards in a large way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I hear you man. I tend to have momentum in things like this and I do expect to lose it at some point...I'm trying different things to stay interested. Bike, boxing, yoga, straight weight lifting, etc.

Nice thing is, you know you can do it, you've done so much already. Big ups to you man, and that is no joke. Give yourself lots of credit for the work you've put in, that's a damn good amount of weight you lost. IMO that also can help fire you up to go the next step. You've made big investments in yourself, too much to go backwards in a large way.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am going to try to dive back into it! 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2022 at 7:02 PM, Virgil said:

I've been working from home for a year now and my weight it a problem.  I'm fat enough now where basic activities take the wind out of me.  I need motivation or entertainment while working out and keep hearing about the Peloton. I like that they have interactive classes through the screen.

Anyone have any reviews or alternative recommendations?

You don't need to spend a bunch of money and then incur an ongoing monthly subscription to lose weight.

You need discipline and some hard work. 

Go outside and run.  Nothing takes weight off like running.

For the bit more money get the Peloton and they probably have some good deals now on monthly renting vrs a buy.

We tried the Nordictrack initially but sent it back in two days because of build quality issues  

the Peloton app is great and my wife who is a trainer uses it daily for all the instruction and classes provided for off bike training.  

once you get into Peloton you’ll probably start looking at road/gravel bikes-it gets addictive in a good way 

as many said diet is the key and tons of water.  Sounds like a scam but take a look at the Beach Body 21 day reset.  I did it with a friend who was preparing for her wedding and it really worked and was almost “fun”

good luck  

On 4/7/2022 at 1:03 AM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

We have a Schwin IC4 and use the peloton app with an iPad. The bike was a fraction of the cost of the Peloton. You don’t get live classes, and it’s actually more expensive per month to have a peloton membership without the bike, but it was a much smaller investment up front. 

You can still get some of the data and use the recorded classes/rides, although it is admittedly not as detailed and accurate. 

It was a good way for us to see if it’s something we use enough to make a larger investment into. We got the bike over the initial Covid quarantine in March 2020, so it has held up well. 

I have the same bike.  Don't use it as much as when I had a promotional peloton app.  Have treid other spinning apps and so far none are as good.  Any recommendations would be appreciated, The bike is solid.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 4:08 PM, Virgil said:

I really liked it, until I tore my ACL and now still can't use it.  But it looks great sitting there!

Sorry to hear about the ACL.  Good luck and push the therapy team to get you exercises and plans to get you towards your goals. That’s what they are there for. Also insurance should pay for a dietician to help with meal planning and gym memberships. Might even include personal training after an ACL too. 

• 1 month later...

i have a Schwinn spinner.  great bike.  think it was $500 from Dick's..  you can still subscribe to peloton programs or any other, less expensive option.  there are many.  the schwin has a book holder that u put your laptop in while riding.

oops.  price has gone up substantially.  now $700

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/schwinn-ic3-indoor-cycling-bike-with-tablet-holder-18scwuschwnnc3ndrbks/18scwuschwnnc3ndrbks?sku=18893981&camp=CSE:DSG_92700072988520302_lia_pla-1747867468249_58700008024046847_71700000100253174&segment=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpMn5z-OiggMVzEVyCh1pew5rEAQYAiABEgK8kPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.