Anyone have a Peloton, or have other recommendations?

Virgil

If you’re anything like me, get a gym membership somewhere.  I have a treadmill and an elliptical in my basement along with a bunch of free weights.  All collecting dust.  I need to get out of the house to really focus on my workout.  I also get a lot of good tips from others and learn a lot.  

I’ve lost almost 30 pounds since September when I started at the gym.  Mainly light weight training, and loads of cardio.  Changed my diet up quite a bit also.  I pack my lunch for work so I’m not convenience eating garbage food all the time, and I rarely ever eat anything substantial after dinner anymore.  Cut down on beer and wine quite a bit.  Good luck!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/6/2022 at 10:53 PM, Success said:

I ended up getting a Nordictrack, and it's been fantastic.  They have everything you could want - instructor led classes, and amazing scenic rides w/ guides all over the world (and some of those guides can really push you).

I'm sure Peloton has the same, but I've been 100% happy since I got the Nordictrack last year.

Which one did you get?  Also, how stable is it. I’m pushing upper 200’s and don’t want something wobbly

13 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

If you’re anything like me, get a gym membership somewhere.  I have a treadmill and an elliptical in my basement along with a bunch of free weights.  All collecting dust.  I need to get out of the house to really focus on my workout.  I also get a lot of good tips from others and learn a lot.  

I’ve lost almost 30 pounds since September when I started at the gym.  Mainly light weight training, and loads of cardio.  Changed my diet up quite a bit also.  I pack my lunch for work so I’m not convenience eating garbage food all the time, and I rarely ever eat anything substantial after dinner anymore.  Cut down on beer and wine quite a bit.  Good luck!

I feel like I need to do this to motivate me back to the gym. I also like something quick for when I get bored.  

I had a planet fitness membership, but it’s really just me here and it’s kinda boring going alone.  

Also, I feel so out of shape that I feel like I need to get in better shape, to get to the gym, if that makes sense 

15 hours ago, Pete said:

Peloton and yoga- awesome combination for anyone that wants to get in shape fairly quickly.  And a healthy diet would expedite progress 

Do you use their yoga workout too?  I was told they have great non- bike classes

On 4/7/2022 at 10:51 AM, BillsFan4 said:

So true. You can exercise for hours a day then eat all the calories you burned with a couple handfuls of crappy food, or a couple glasses of fatty/sugary drinks.

It takes a LOT of exercise to burn off the excess calories you eat.

I’ve been exercising on and off for a few years now but changing my eating habits made the biggest difference in my weight loss, by far. I lost a lot more weight by changing eating habits than anything else. Just simply Eliminating snacks between meals made a big difference. I actually lost more weight over the winter by eliminating snacks (with much less activity) than I did over the summer where I was taking 10+ mile bike rides at least 3x a week but still eating snacks between meals and at night.

exercise is still super important though, especially if you live a somewhat sedentary lifestyle. They say that’s one of the worst things for your health, next to smoking and obesity.

Virgil - one easy thing I’d recommend (besides cutting out snacks between meals) is switching to water as your main drink. I buy bottles of fresh (100% natural) lemon juice and do a few squeezes into my water for flavor. It’s pretty much all I drink now (plain water or lemon water). 

I look at it this way -  I would much rather eat my calories than drink them.

Agreed on the water.  Diet is tough sometimes because I’m such a picky eater.  I don’t eat salad or fish. 

Right now, I’m trying to do a pre- workout and just get any form of motion going.  Working from home, I might get 100 steps a day.  It’s rough

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

I had a planet fitness membership, but it’s really just me here and it’s kinda boring going alone.  

Also, I feel so out of shape that I feel like I need to get in better shape, to get to the gym, if that makes sense 

I should have also noted that I do have a regular workout partner.  A friend of mine who has similar goals in terms weight loss, strength training, and diet.  It helps tremendously.  If I get lazy and decide I don’t want to go to the gym one day it doesn’t just impact me…it also impacts his routine.  That has been really motivating.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

Which one did you get?  Also, how stable is it. I’m pushing upper 200’s and don’t want something wobbly

I feel like I need to do this to motivate me back to the gym. I also like something quick for when I get bored.  

Do you use their yoga workout too?  I was told they have great non- bike classes

Agreed on the water.  Diet is tough sometimes because I’m such a picky eater.  I don’t eat salad or fish. 

Right now, I’m trying to do a pre- workout and just get any form of motion going.  Working from home, I might get 100 steps a day.  It’s rough

I’m a picky eater myself so I know what you mean. I’m not real big on salads. Don’t like fish. I mainly only eat the standard vegetables (peas, green beans, carrots, corn, etc). But I just started with what I like.

1/2 of your plate should technically be the vegetable. Only a 1/4 should be meat and 1/4 carb is a good place to start (or no carbs. But that can be hard).

You could also start by cutting out snacks in between meals (or at least one meal).

It’s also helpful (for weight loss) not to eat after like 7pm or so each day. Snacking right before bed is the worst. It doesn’t get burned off.

One thing that helped me eat a bit healthier - I bought one of those bullet blenders and started making my own smoothies. It’s a way for me to get some healthier options (fruits and veggies) into my diet. You can kind of mask the taste of the healthier stuff by adding in (fat free) yogurt and/or granola etc. There’s tons of smoothie recipes out there.

I actually use the bullet blender to make myself meal replacement shakes too. A lot of days I’ll just do a smoothie for lunch.

Check out that 7 minute workout app I linked too. It’s free. It’s a good way to start exercising. They have beginner routines, and it’s only 7 minutes long. Plus, you can set it to remind you daily to do your 7min routine. And it keeps track of your streaks, so it’s kind of motivating (or at least it was for me).

It’d be a good start. Either that or start taking daily walks.

Good luck Virgil! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

S22i.  It seems like a really solid bike in terms of stability, though I can't really compare it to anything. The only time it gets a little wobbly for me is when it's a steep incline, and usually just the handlebars & console.  I'm a little over 200.

It's always good to check Amazon reviews for stuff like that too, just to get different perspectives.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I think they’ve already rebounded from that. Or so I’ve read 

I'm making three non-exercise equipment suggestions here, especially if you've felt you failed on a diet before:

#1. If you have good to great health insurance, you may want to consider enrolling in your health system's weight management center.  These centers are usually split into two - medical weight management and bariatrics (surgical weight loss).  Medical weight loss, coupled with guidance from a nutritionist and exercise may be the ticket to long term success, especially if you're in your 30s and up.  Metabolism and genetics are cruel, unrelenting factors, and eating habits and the urge to eat are very difficult to change.  Food is much like alcohol - you can get addicted to it, and addiction is very hard to break, especially in times of stress and boredom.  

#2.  Get your testosterone levels checked.  If you are deficient or severely deficient in testosterone, you're not losing that belly fat.  Testosterone therapy is expensive BUT it's quite beneficial.  The majority of men are deficient in testosterone - you'll have the outliers, but for the majority of us, we're losing it slowly by our late 20s.  

#3.  Sleep apnea is a big problem in overweight men.  Fixing that, along with losing the weight, can help a lot.   

I'd throw in....get a weight/meal tracker app. I used mine heavily at first and it really showed me (as I did know all along but liked to pretend I didn't) how many BS calories i was fitting into my day. Once I saw that, I just got smarter, and stopped tracking meals (it was a pain but I learned the lesson).

Now I just use it to track my weight and I still find it super useful. Keeps me on task and on target.

21 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

With prices they charge almost as bad as PSLs.

They appear to have more and more commercials so evidently their solution to being not enough rich people to buy is more commercials and junk mail.

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

#2.  Get your testosterone levels checked.  If you are deficient or severely deficient in testosterone, you're not losing that belly fat.  Testosterone therapy is expensive BUT it's quite beneficial.  The majority of men are deficient in testosterone - you'll have the outliers, but for the majority of us, we're losing it slowly by our late 20s.  

There are a number of testosterone studies out there and medication is free.  I was in one but there was a heart rhythm they did not want to proceed with without a cardiologist given an okay but I could not find appointment in time to remain in study.  I think my testosterone has been low since high school when I was misdiagnosed with a medical condition but doctor says it is not.

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

There are a number of testosterone studies out there and medication is free.  I was in one but there was a heart rhythm they did not want to proceed with without a cardiologist given an okay but I could not find appointment in time to remain in study.  I think my testosterone has been low since high school when I was misdiagnosed with a medical condition but doctor says it is not.

I think any man over the age of 25 should have it checked every couple years.  Male menopause is just as real as the female menopause.  Low testosterone wrecks a man's shop, especially in helping keep a beer belly.  

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

I think any man over the age of 25 should have it checked every couple years.  Male menopause is just as real as the female menopause.  Low testosterone wrecks a man's shop, especially in helping keep a beer belly.  

Some bodies may have enough testosterone but body is not utilizing it.  It is partly why I signed up for study which was not using placebos but were studying side effects on products already on market.

19 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I'd throw in....get a weight/meal tracker app. I used mine heavily at first and it really showed me (as I did know all along but liked to pretend I didn't) how many BS calories i was fitting into my day. Once I saw that, I just got smarter, and stopped tracking meals (it was a pain but I learned the lesson).

Now I just use it to track my weight and I still find it super useful. Keeps me on task and on target.

I did the same. It is amazing when you start to be calorie conscious. Like, that “healthy salad” is actually more calories than a burger and fries?! Or, is it really worth it to have a muffin that is equal to

700 calories. 

just makes you make better informed decisions. 

i used myfitness pal and was religious about it for about 2 years straight. Dropped 70 pounds. Covid derailed me and I got away from it and put on 20. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I did the same. It is amazing when you start to be calorie conscious. Like, that “healthy salad” is actually more calories than a burger and fries?! Or, is it really worth it to have a muffin that is equal to

700 calories. 

just makes you make better informed decisions. 

i used myfitness pal and was religious about it for about 2 years straight. Dropped 70 pounds. Covid derailed me and I got away from it and put on 20. 

NIce, and very nice! That is the same app I use, easy and free.

I honestly was too embarrassed to take the progress pictures each day as it offers to you....now I kind I wish I had. Took me three+ years but I went from 197 (with some bodacious ta tas) to 165 (just thinner) and now I am at 176 (but almost all new weight is muscle, and my boobies turned into lil baby pecs).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

NIce, and very nice! That is the same app I use, easy and free.

I honestly was too embarrassed to take the progress pictures each day as it offers to you....now I kind I wish I had. Took me three+ years but I went from 197 (with some bodacious ta tas) to 165 (just thinner) and now I am at 176 (but almost all new weight is muscle, and my boobies turned into lil baby pecs).

that is great. I hear you on the pics. I didn’t do that either. I went from 213

and at one point bottomed out to a lean 148. Took me about a year.  I stayed at the 148-155 range steadily for about 3 years. I was on cruise control. 

When Covid hit, I got away from the app and from exercising and started eating poorly. So now I am at 175. All the excess sitting near my waist, of course!  It is a lot tougher to get back the drive to use the app and get down to my ideal weight. 

I would actually like to only drop to like 165-168, but lose fat and build muscle. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.