New OT rule is approved for postseason

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

Don't get why this isn't also for regular season. I assume they don't want games going on forever but you could institute two possessions and then a tie. 

Ties in the NFL are one of the dumbest rules in all professional sports.

No other league does this and really surprised they have done away with this yet ensuring regular season games extend beyond overtime if needed to determine a winner.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

ugh, thought it did away with sudden death. Still don't like it but its better than what it was.

Coin flip winner still gets 2 opportunities to score on offense and 1 opportunity to defend

Coin flip loser gets 1 opportunity to score on offsense and 2 opportunities to defend

Which would you rather have?

Football is a team sport. Both teams get to play offense and defense. 

Coin flip in regular season has not been a predictor of outcome for several years now. Oddly still a benefit in the playoffs. Unclear why.

Now with this rule the coin flip loser assuming they play offense second knows what they need to do. They know how many points they need for win or tie again and it makes the entire possession 4 plays not 3 to keep the chains moving. 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What happens if both teams score a TD in OT and extra point?  Does it just play on after the second team scores and now it becomes sudden death, next team to score wins?  Assuming that is the case, the team that wins the coin toss still has a big advantage!  This new rule helps a little.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

What happens if both teams score a TD in OT and extra point?  Does it just play on after the second team scores and now it becomes sudden death, next team to score wins?  Assuming that is the case, the team that wins the coin toss still has a big advantage!  This new rule helps a little.

Yes

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Football is a team sport. Both teams get to play offense and defense. 

Coin flip in regular season has not been a predictor of outcome for several years now. Oddly still a benefit in the playoffs. Unclear why.

Now with this rule the coin flip loser assuming they play offense second knows what they need to do. They know how many points they need for win or tie again and it makes the entire possession 4 plays not 3 to keep the chains moving. 

I don't think anyone in their right mind defers the OT kickoff to the other team because "football is a team sport" so there is a very clear advantage to having the ball first still.

When a team says, "no i'm good take the ball first, Im just gonna stop you and then score", then ill take arguments that its a team sport and there is no advantage to coin flip winner getting 2x offense 1x defense as opposed to coin flip loser getting 1x offense 2x defense.

It should have been "until the quarter ends or someone doesn't score" instead of sudden death 2 drives in.

Edited by What a Tuel

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

No other league does this and really surprised they have done away with this yet ensuring regular season games extend beyond overtime if needed to determine a winner.

I don't like games ending in tie either. I'm not sure, but my guess is other sports aren't physical like the NFL is and that may be why they won't go beyond 1 OT period.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

the Chiefs D wasn't on the field at the end of regulation.

Don't flip flop. You brought up OT.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the same D caved  again.

Only one defense had to stop an offense in OT because of a coin flip. Chiefs defense was just as bad as the bills defense at the end. But only one had to face an offense in OT.

Capture.thumb.JPG.cce4ce05ad4fd8503e6bf2e2d6c9ab5c.JPG

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

One could argue D doesn't cave with 13 seconds left if coaches made the correct calls. Anyways, will never know

Certainly that argument has been well made.

But in OT, the D absolutely just laid down---drove the field in under 5 minutes, getting 3 more 1st downs and Mahomes went 6/6 (to 5 different receivers) 63 yards. 

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Don't flip flop. You brought up OT.

Only one defense had to stop an offense in OT because of a coin flip. Chiefs defense was just as bad as the bills defense at the end. But only one had to face an offense in OT.

Capture.thumb.JPG.cce4ce05ad4fd8503e6bf2e2d6c9ab5c.JPG

Yeah, Chiefs last D stand in regulation has nothing to do with OT. 

The Bills O walked off the field with a 3 point lead and 13 seconds.  Only 1 D had to play hard and smart for 13 seconds to avoid OT and preserve the win.

Your point that the Bills deserved another possession because they choked twice in a row on D is poorly made.

This doesn't really change much. The team that wins the coin toss still gets the benefit of resting their defense while they go score a touchdown against the other team's tired defense. Then if the other team manages to also get a touchdown, their reward is... wait for it... going back to the OLD rule where you only need a FG to win. 

The sudden death aspect makes no sense regardless of how many drives you add in before it. Just play until the loser of the coin toss can't beat or match the winner's previous drive. Or just make it a regular timed quarter and see who has the higher score at the end.

Edit: I forgot 2 point conversions exist. While I doubt many head coaches would take that risk, it does allow for the loser of the coin toss to end the game on their possession after each team scores a touchdown. Now I'm really wishing they implemented this during the regular season so we could see different teams' strategies play out.

Edited by MPT

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Well, I am aware that most Americans do not see soccer as a real sport, but Major League Soccer follows the international rules for league play where ties are allowed. However, in case of a tie both teams are "punished" as a tie gets both teams only one point each, while in a game with a winner the winner gets three points.

Edited by DrW

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.