Tariq Castro-Fields - mid round pick?

whorlnut

Just saw that the Bills CB and ST coaches were at Penn State’s pro day. The only thing that makes sense there is Tariq Castro-Fields. He’s interesting and would profile to what I’ve been saying for a while now. That McD can coach anyone into a very good DB. That’s why I don’t see a first round corner. They have been very successful with mid round and undrafted corners. 

Castro-Fields ran a 4.38 at the combine and is 6’1” with nearly 31” arms. He would have the goods to be an immediate upgrade without using a first round pick. I think this is something to watch…

Edited by whorlnut
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Love it.  This is where I'm at... McDermott isn't perfect, but he's very good, and clearly has an eye for CB play and development. 

If I'm the Bills, I'm using my RD1 & RD2 picks on OL/WR/DL moving forward.  Then drafting two secondary players every year in Rounds 3-7.  Specifically targeting players like this that McDermott can work with and develop.  Keep the CB/S room stocked with constant draft picks, even if we're not spending high picks on the positions.  

Good find, and clearly we need speed in the secondary.  You can scheme ways to keep teams from throwing over the top.  Can't really scheme open field scenarios where Tyreek Hill just runs away from all your corners and safeties.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As a rule, I've never been crazy about Penn State corners.  As an alum, I watch a lot of their games when they are on TV and if the corners weren't giving up long receptions, they generally were guilty of pass interference.  Having said that, this past year, the secondary played quite well.  I had wondered if they had different coaching because there weren't as many big plays and flags.

• Like (+1) 1

PSU has a few guys that fit the Bills as their defense is similar to the McDermott scheme. 

TCF is certainly one guy who’s fit the scheme 

Brandon Smith is an elite athlete at LB who needs a lot of growing up, and would be viewed as an UDFA/late rounder 

And of course Jahan Dotson 

42 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Just saw that the Bills CB and ST coaches were at Penn State’s pro day. The only thing that makes sense there is Tariq Castro-Fields. He’s interesting and would profile to what I’ve been saying for a while now. That McD can coach anyone into a very good DB. That’s why I don’t see a first round corner. They have been very successful with mid round and undrafted corners. 

Castro-Fields ran a 4.38 at the combine and is 6’1” with nearly 31” arms. He would have the goods to be an immediate upgrade without using a first round pick. I think this is something to watch…

What round is he projected to go in? 

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills STs guy is looking at Jordan Stout the Punter who some feel is better than Araiza

Good call…forgot about him. Stout was really good at the senior bowl. Would be a good get if we can’t land araiza. 

46 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Great measurables but does it translate to his onfield production??  Wouldn't mind at all Dotson in the 1st, O-line in the 2nd, Castro-Fields in the 3rd and Stout in the 6th

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Not Levi

• whorlnut changed the title to Tariq Castro-Fields - mid round pick?
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.