Bills positions of “need” who remains available and where $$$ are - Sportrac Data

BuffaloBill

The following seem to be consensus needs or holes on the Bills roster.  Here are players still available and where $$$ are trending(they are not listed in any order of priority):

2/19/2022- revised: removed Backup QB following Keenum trade

Guard

Wide Receiver

Corner

Given the cap situation the Bills will need to leverage the draft to fill some of these holes.  Personally, I believe the following will play out:

• Bates will be back at guard - market numbers are trending to his current tender
  • WR - Bills comfortable with their current experienced players and will not seek a FA - likely to draft between rounds 2-5
  • QB#2 - No way do the Bills trust this situation to the draft - while I hate the reality of it - would not shock me to see Cam Newton brought in due to familiarity and he may be willing to come cheap
  • Corner - Bills will target in round 1 or 2 of the draft and bring in a value FA - hard to say who it will be at this point
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The following seem to be consensus needs or holes on the Bills roster.  Here are players still available and where $$$ are trending:

Guard

Wide Receiver

QB #2

Corner

Given the cap situation the Bills will need to leverage the draft to fill some of these holes.  Personally, I believe the following will play out:

• Bates will be back at guard - market numbers are trending to his current tender
  • WR - Bills comfortable with their current experienced players and will not seek a FA - likely to draft between rounds 2-5
  • QB#2 - No way do the Bills trust this situation to the draft - while I hate the reality of it - would not shock me to see Cam Newton brought in due to familiarity and he may be willing to come cheap
  • Corner - Bills will target in round 1 or 2 of the draft and bring in a value FA - hard to say who it will be at this point

I would rank them in order of importance as: 

CB, Guard, WR, QB2 and very clearly in that order. Right now we have no one on the roster who has ever seen a field before for a game at CB2 until Tre comes back

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The following seem to be consensus needs or holes on the Bills roster.  Here are players still available and where $$$ are trending:

Guard

Wide Receiver

QB #2

Corner

Sounds like a fair assessment.  Rumors are swirling around Barkley maybe returning as backup QB.  Who would you want as the value FA CB?

1.   Cb I see us signing a Norman type again.  Vet that can still play. Then drafting in round 2 or 3...maybe both. 

2.   Think we take best available in the first. 

3.   Bates will be back and we will get another in the later rounds. 

4.   Qb I still think we end up with Fitz once he's medically cleared. 

My guess:

Bates comes back to Buffalo

Vet CB, QB & OL signed in FA as the dust starts to settle (all cheap deals)

CB & WR drafted in Rounds 1 & 2 (any order)

OL, TE & RB in Rounds 3, 4 & 5 (any order)

Depth in 6 & 7 and/or these 4 picks used to move around the board 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

My guess:

I agree with CB and WR  at 1 and 2( dont care which,depends on how the draft goes). I think a punter is in play ... possibly TWO backs...not sure about TE but wouldn't be surprised at another DE.

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The following seem to be consensus needs or holes on the Bills roster.  Here are players still available and where $$$ are trending(they are not listed in any order of priority):

Guard

Wide Receiver

QB #2

Corner

absolutely zero chance Cam Newton will be here.  Hes done.  I guess people didn't see him trying to throw a football recently

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I see Matt Barkley didn't make the QB list....hummmm

If indeed he’s come to some mutual agreement, he still has to come B-lo and get a physical exam, etc before officially signing.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

My guess:

I agree with all of this except I think Beane will trade a couple picks to move up somewhere. Still gotta find a consistent Punter who is skilled at PK.

1 hour ago, Georgie said:

I agree with CB and WR  at 1 and 2( dont care which,depends on how the draft goes). I think a punter is in play ... possibly TWO backs...not sure about TE but wouldn't be surprised at another DE.

The only reason I say TE is that we will be paying Knox and they typically take time to develop.  

If OJ Howard kills it, he’s probably too pricey to retain.  If he doesn’t, not sure we’d want him back.   Would think we might want a TE with a year in the system to compliment Knox on a rookie deal. 

48 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Will there be a possible starting gig somewhere? He would take a better starting opportunity rather than back up another young QB

i think he will do the same thing as Tribusky -  Take a step back and learn the nuances of the game and take the next step next season

I thought I read that Darnold has a huge cap number to the Panthers in 2022, whether kept or cut.  Seems like he would back up in Carolina at worst. So, he is not a likely option

In 2022, Darnold will earn a base salary of $18,858,000, while carrying a cap hit of $18,858,000and a dead cap value of $18,858,000.

Edited by Bob in Mich

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

i think he will do the same thing as Tribusky -  Take a step back and learn the nuances of the game and take the next step next season

It's not 'taking a step back' when no one wants him as a starting QB. Comparing Darnold to Trubisky is laughable. Darnold has routinely been the worst starting QB in the NFL. Darnold will be lucky if he floats around the league as a backup. There is no starting job in his future. 

There is no way the Bills pick up Newton. Along with diminishing skills, the guy behaves like a moron. Not a culture guy. Looks like Barkley is gunna be the guy although I would much rather see Fitz. I also think they will pick up a zone corner (not sure who) in free agency plus draft one in the 1st or second round. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Guard

Wide Receiver

QB #2

Corner

Good work BB. Thank You. 

As for free agent priority - the Beane way is to fill holes with value priced veterans - I would go: Corner, Guard, QB, WR. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.