Mitch Morse restructured contract - Increase in pay, but 2022 cap number decreases by $2 Million

Draconator

22 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I get the restructuring but a raise? He's Mobile but can't move a traffic cone run blocking. Also a hit away from serious head injury.

He may be a better fit with Kromer? The concussion history concerns me. Just goes to show, never have too much faith when a player’s uncle tells you in an airport heading to a game that he’s gone after the year.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Now restructure Diggs/Tre White..... Cut or reduce salary to Star and Cole Beasley and we'll have some decent coin to deal with.

Diggs yes.  I don't know if they'll want to do that with Tre again. Beane doesn't seem like the "kick the can down the road" multiple times kinda guy

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Previous contract before Spotrac changes it:

image.thumb.png.343616ce2b3d37623a19fcfed98630fa.png

Will be interesting to see what the new contract looks like

New contract up

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mitch-morse-16773/

image.thumb.png.39da003f963b8c85d8a8e0317a939ea0.png

Looks like a $2.25M cap savings this season

I like the move anyway.  Morse had some struggles in 2020 and came back in 2021 to play really solid.  He's not a big, physical bruiser of a center.  I think he's an excellent player, including in run blocking, if he's used right.

I'd guess that Beane, McDermott and Kromer sat down after Kromer had a chance to watch some film.   They talked about what Kromer wants his line to look like.   After that conversation, Beane had a path forward with Morse and Williams.  

I expect a guard is on his way via free agency.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I really thought he was cut potential. I’m indifferent about this….

Changes needed to be made with the IOL and the Bills did that.  The OGs are both gone.  Our vet OC is staying and will be here to provide stability.  Swapping out all three IOL starters would’ve been very risky and I’m glad that was avoided.  My main concern with Morse is his concussion history.  He was good in that regard the last season though and here’s hoping (for him particularly) that it stays that way.  This just feels like the moves they had to make if they were comfortable with Morse’s health. 

People can hate on Mitch Morse all they want, but you really notice what a solid pass-blocking center brings when you don't have one...

He is critical to this team's success, especially with continuity with Josh Allen and keeping the interior pocket clean

Is he the world's best run-blocker?  Not even close.  But that's not the most important component here

Solid move all around

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

People can hate on Mitch Morse all they want, but you really notice what a solid pass-blocking center brings when you don't have one...

He is critical to this team's success, especially with continuity with Josh Allen and keeping the interior pocket clean

Is he the world's best run-blocker?  Not even close.  But that's not the most important component here

Solid move all around

You know, I've never really been able to decide what I thought he was good at.  Not a good run blocker?   He's really good when he pulls - he gets downfield well.   I think he's an efficient pass blocker.   I think on both the run and the pass he gets overpowered more than he should.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.