List of draft players Bills have met with

Pete

On 3/11/2022 at 7:49 AM, YoloinOhio said:

And I quote, "The senior caught 156 catches in his career, including 86 alone in 2019." Emphasis mine. 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:23 PM, Warcodered said:

Unrelated but still draft related I guess just cool if nothing else.

The audible reactions in the room are priceless.

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/23/2022 at 6:51 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

The Bills O line is a roster of college left tackles. I love the approach.

Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, Doyle were all excellent college left tackles. Brown played RT because of the presence of Penning, but otherwise he would have played there as well. Ike Boettger was a RT. Greg Mancz played tackle and guard. Cody Ford played RT. Even Jacob Capra played guard and tackle. Going backwards Daryll Williams was a RT and Jon Feliciano played guard and tackle. Freakin Vlad Ducasse was a college left tackle. Quintin Spain played a ton of left tackle at WV until moving to guard. Wyatt Teller was a defensive end who moved to tackle then guard. 

It makes sense to draft guys who played the most difficult, elite position on the line and convert them to other positions. I like the approach as opposed to drafting pure IOL. 

I think the most obvious thing to keep in mind is Dawkins is good, not great, but good is valuable in the NFL.  He could be a trade target or just looking to shed big salaries as the Allen deal kicks in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

I think the most obvious thing to keep in mind is Dawkins is good, not great, but good is valuable in the NFL.  He could be a trade target or just looking to shed big salaries as the Allen deal kicks in.

Yeah I think its possible. I actually think they could use him to get up to Carolina’s pick. But I don’t think that they should as it would create a massive hole. I think it’s possible he gets moved next year but I do think Dion is a little underrated. He just doesn’t really get beat often. 

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Where's the wisdom in this particular move? Dumping salary to create a gaping roster hole at a premium position doesn't make much sense in a "window" year. So they'd have to use whatever draft assets they acquired to replace Dawkins. And that's no sure thing. 

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Is it not a bit odd that the Bills have not spoken with Tyler Linderbaum?

He's the consensus best C in this draft.

38 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It could be that they are hiding their interest, or maybe they aren’t interested. Linderbaum can play guard but doesn’t have the same level versatility as those other guys. 🤷‍♂️

The other somewhat bizarre thing about Linderbaum is that he maintains his consensus position as the top center in the draft and yet he measures only 6'2" 296 pounds with 31.125" long arms. Is the team that drafts him not supposed to be concerned about that?

In fact isn't he a possibility to slide down the draft?

And if he's there at 25 do the Bills consider him?

7 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The other somewhat bizarre thing about Linderbaum is that he maintains his consensus position as the top center in the draft and yet he measures only 6'2" 296 pounds with 31.125" long arms. Is the team that drafts him not supposed to be concerned about that?

In fact isn't he a possibility to slide down the draft?

And if he's there at 25 do the Bills consider him?

I think he goes late one. He is just so good. And he isn’t weak, he plays with leverage and holds his own against bigger guys. Massive guys like Marquan McCall gave him issues. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he goes late one. He is just so good. And he isn’t weak, he plays with leverage and holds his own against bigger guys. Massive guys like Marquan McCall gave him issues. 

Yeah I understand about the leverage and the wrestling background, biomechanics, etc.

I'd still be concerned about his size especially in the context of NFL talent.

It's not a perfect comparison but Jim Ritcher was a smallish center who excelled for the Bills for many years. He was legendarily strong in the weight room but going up against Jumpy Geathers in the Super Bowl was Exhibit A on why O-linemen need to be big guys.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I just watched 10 minutes of his game video.

I expected him to be solid at the point of attack and he was but I was surprised with his athleticism. He had zero problems with reach blocks and working at the second level. He was effective with seal blocks, in combination, basically polished in every aspect of O-line play. He plays like a guy who understands the theory and objective behind every play.

That said the whole Iowa line looked so polished and professional so that made it a bit more difficult evaluating him. Looks like a damn fine player though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yeah I understand about the leverage and the wrestling background, biomechanics, etc.

I'd still be concerned about his size especially in the context of NFL talent.

It's not a perfect comparison but Jim Ritcher was a smallish center who excelled for the Bills for many years. He was legendarily strong in the weight room but going up against Jumpy Geathers in the Super Bowl was Exhibit A on why O-linemen need to be big guys.

The somewht lazy comparison is Jason Kelce. He came in at 280, which is just really small and put on like 15 pounds over the years. Still plays around 295, and he’s probably a hall of fame guy. But he’s an anomaly. And was not a first round pick. 

An Iowa guy that Linderbaum reminds me of is James Daniels. When Daniels went to the combine he was 306. He now plays at 327. So with Linderbaum playing at around 290 at just 21 years of age, it isn’t crazy to think that he could pack on 15-20 lbs of muscle. Most centers fall between 295 and 310. (Just off the top of my head.)

My guy was Mark Stepnoski who was 6-2, 269 and kicked ass vs some of those nasty 90s nose tackles. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

What's your issue with Spiller? 

He is average at everything. Give me a back who does 1 thing really well rather than the sort of jack of all trades master of none. Like if he is there in round 4 - fine. If he goes before that? Pass. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, thought it was strange myself, but they probably think they wont have a chance at him?

I was actually thinking with the extension of Morse and re-signing of Bates they might have shifted their thoughts to a Guard with Tackle flex instead of C/G.🤔

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LyndonvilleBill said:

I was actually thinking with the extension of Morse and re-signing of Bates they might have shifted their thoughts to a Guard with Tackle flex instead of C/G.🤔

I hope not.

Out Tackles (Dawkins, Brown, and Doyle) are all pretty young.  Our C/Gs are all pretty old (outside of Bates). Getting replacements for Saffold and Morse should be top priority when addressing the OL. The Mancz signing is ok, but I dont know that we can/should count on him to step up and take over for Morse.

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Sure could have used Pat Williams

Yeah I've lamented the Bills being undersized at NT during those SB years.......in part because Smerlas was NOT undersized..........but in reality guys like Buffalo born Jim Burt were even smaller at NT than Wright and held up fine for NYG and SF.    NT's in the 80's and early 90's weren't the enormous individuals they are now.    Dallas O-line was actually one of the reasons NT's started getting bigger.   Aside from center their OL was enormous for the day.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is average at everything. Give me a back who does 1 thing really well rather than the sort of jack of all trades master of none. Like if he is there in round 4 - fine. If he goes before that? Pass. 

Average might be a bit generous. There's absolutely nothing interesting or notable about Spiller.

You and I seem very aligned again this year.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.