Bobby Wagner released

CDogg20

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That's exaclty what I said to him. I dont think anything hurt worse than seeing Thurman in a Dolphins jersey. 

Who said they are committed to Edmunds? They are only committed until there is a better opportunity.  Wagner is the superior player by far even at his age. Edmunds will never be anything more than an average MLB. Trade him and get a high pick to help the OL and or DL.

Nonsense. Edmunds has never been average. Always above average. He's very good. You don't give an average LB $12.3M the way the Bills just gave Tremaine by committing to his option. Sorry, calling him average is just complete and utter balderdash and wrongness. It says far more about you and your ability to make good observations than it does about Tremaine.

Certainly Wagner is very significantly better than Tremaine, though, at least for what we saw last year. He's aging, though.

Agreed they're not absolutely committed to Edmunds. They're not committed to anyone, except Allen. Maaaaaaaybe Diggs, for another four or five years or so. They're committed to winning long-term, rather than individual players. Long-term being the key. They've said again and again that they want to be competitive for a long time. 

And Tremaine's young, and Wagner really isn't. But they'll absolutely do due diligence on this and look at every side of this.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 4

Hey, I'd totally take him. I have no idea how much he would cost. He is a clear upgrade from Edmunds. Edmunds is not as bad as everyone claims, but Wagner is a really good player.

He's 31 so we would only get a couple more years out of him, though.

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nonsense. Edmunds has never been average. Always above average. He's very good. You don't give an average LB $12.3M the way the Bills just gave Tremaine by committing to his option. Sorry, calling him average is just complete and utter balderdash and wrongness. It says far more about you and your ability to make good observations than it does about Tremaine.

Certainly Wagner is very significantly better than Tremaine, though, at least for what we saw last year. He's aging, though.

Agreed they're not absolutely committed to Edmunds. They're not committed to anyone, except Allen. Maaaaaaaybe Diggs, for another four or five years or so. They're committed to winning long-term, rather than individual players. Long-term being the key. They've said again and again that they want to be competitive for a long time. 

And Tremaine's young, and Wagner really isn't. But they'll absolutely do due diligence on this and look at every side of this.

I defend Edmunds a lot, but he has clearly been an average player so far in his career. He is a physical specimen with high upside, but he has not lived up to that potential yet.

A lot of people claim he sucks. He doesn't. But I would not argue with anyone who says he is average. So far, he has had one above average year and the rest have been average or below average.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I like the thought, but you have to think that Seattle would be holding onto of one of its young assets if they’re trying to rebuild for the next five years. Their coach isn’t exactly a young guy. This is such a weird rebuild time for them.

I think Russell wanted out, one way or another he was leaving. Might as well blow it up and rebuild from the ground up.

5 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

he is young, just turned 19 if I recall correctly.

That's correct. Tremaine Edmunds just completed his 4 year in the NFL and he was 15 years old as a rookie. You have to figure it's only a matter of time before he's one of the league's best.

• Haha (+1) 1

Signing Wagner and trading Edmunds would be a dream.

- Upgrade the ILB position.

- Get draft capital back for Edmunds.

- Edmunds fully gtd $12.7M 5th year option moves to the new team at no penalty.

- Groom a mid-to-late round ILB behind Wagner, an All-Pro.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I defend Edmunds a lot, but he has clearly been an average player so far in his career. He is a physical specimen with high upside, but he has not lived up to that potential yet.

A lot of people claim he sucks. He doesn't. But I would not argue with anyone who says he is average. So far, he has had one above average year and the rest have been average or below average.

No, he really is not average.

Again, if he were really average, it would have been moronic to give him $12.3M for a year. Pure dumbage. Beane's not dumb.

Edmunds is well above average. It isn't even a question. Now, that doesn't mean he's elite. He isn't. 

But he absolutely is well above average. That's why Beane said this week that yes he's a core building block moving forward. You don't put average guys into that kind of a category. You just don't. In the same answer Beane said that fans don't understand, they don't see what the Bills do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

No, he really is not average.

Again, if he were really average, it would have been moronic to give him $12.3M for a year. Pure dumbage. Beane's not dumb.

Edmunds is well above average. It isn't even a question. Now, that doesn't mean he's elite. He isn't. 

But he absolutely is well above average. That's why Beane said this week that yes he's a core building block moving forward. You don't put average guys into that kind of a category. You just don't. In the same answer Beane said that fans don't understand, they don't see what the Bills do.

It's a 5th year option. You use the 5th year option for two reasons: to lock up a good player for another year while you work out an extension, or to lock up a player for another year of evaluation who you aren't 100% sure about yet.

Edmunds is fine. He works. He gets the job done. Moving on from him without having an immediate upgrade is not an option, which is why you take the 5th year option. Bringing in Wagner would be a huge upgrade.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Signing Wagner and trading Edmunds would be a dream.

- Upgrade the ILB position.

- Get draft capital back for Edmunds.

- Edmunds fully gtd $12.7M 5th year option moves to the new team at no penalty.

- Groom a mid-to-late round ILB behind Wagner, an All-Pro.

I hate posts like this because it makes me desperately wish for a scenario that is almost certainly not going to happen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's not ancient. But he will be entering his 11th season in the NFL. I don't pretend to have followed him closely over the past season. But I can't imagine if his skills weren't eroding with age at 32 years old this year, they'd have released him. So I don't know that I'd be screaming for him to replace Edmunds completely. Bringing him in, okay. But is he an every down player we can trust for years to come at this point?

The more I think about it the more sense it makes. The biggest issue in hypothetically moving on from Edmunds this offseason is that we don't have a capable replacement on the roster. Signing Wagner solves that problem and gives us a couple years to find a long term replacement, while immediately upgrading the position. Oh man I need this to happen and it isn't going to. Goddammit.

Edited by HappyDays

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's not ancient. But he will be entering his 11th season in the NFL. I don't pretend to have followed him closely over the past season. But I can't imagine if his skills weren't eroding with age at 32 years old this year, they'd have released him. So I don't know that I'd be screaming for him to replace Edmunds completely. Bringing him in, okay. But is he an every down player we can trust for years to come at this point?

They are going through a massive rebuild. There's no reason to keep him. By the time they are finished rebuilding he will be retiring.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The more I think about it the more sense it makes. The biggest issue in hypothetically moving on from Edmunds is that we don't have a capable replacement on the roster. Signing Wagner solves that problem and gives us a couple years to find a long term replacement, while immediately upgrading the position. Oh man I need this to happen and it isn't going to. Goddammit.

The other issue is he has been making $18 million a year. I doubt he would get that much now, given his age, but I imagine a team will be willing to pay him $15 million, maybe?

He has a ring already, so I wonder what his priorities are: winning another ring, or making more money?

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The more I think about it the more sense it makes. The biggest issue in hypothetically moving on from Edmunds is that we don't have a capable replacement on the roster. Signing Wagner solves that problem and gives us a couple years to find a long term replacement, while immediately upgrading the position. Oh man I need this to happen and it isn't going to. Goddammit.

Agreed.  This is a gift dropping into Beane’s lap.  You could get Wagner for probably half the cap hit of Edmunds this year.  And separately I could see Seattle trading for Edmunds in a face saving move that sounds good trading for a young Pro Bowler to replace Wagner.  Lockett for Edmunds.  Let’s speak it into existence.  

Could you imagine getting Lockett and Wagner for the same cap hit as Edmunds?  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.