Allen's rookie year

cage

40 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Passing to Holmes, Benjamin, Jones, Foster, Clay, Croom, and Ivory.  On the line you had Dawkins, Ducasse, Bodine, Miller, Mills.  Throw in Some Ryan Groy, and Wyatt Teller's rookie year.  

Don't judge a player who is without weapons and protection.  I'd say the one who gets the pass this year is probably lawrence.  Wilson looked so thoroughly unimpressive for me to consider there - the 10.3% sack rate indicates a bad line, but also that he doesn't know what he's doing.  Most of their best offensive outputs had Mike White, Josh Johnson, or Flacco starting.  

I wasn't judging him, although I could have said more.

He did look like a rookie. A rookie that had good to possibly great potential.

47 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Passing to Holmes, Benjamin, Jones, Foster, Clay, Croom, and Ivory.  On the line you had Dawkins, Ducasse, Bodine, Miller, Mills.  Throw in Some Ryan Groy, and Wyatt Teller's rookie year.  

Don't judge a player who is without weapons and protection.  I'd say the one who gets the pass this year is probably lawrence.  Wilson looked so thoroughly unimpressive for me to consider there - the 10.3% sack rate indicates a bad line, but also that he doesn't know what he's doing.  Most of their best offensive outputs had Mike White, Josh Johnson, or Flacco starting.  

Oh my.  I'm having flashbacks.

Allen did amazing in his rookie year considering how raw he was and his supporting cast being embarrassing. Everyone made it seem like he was awful but this was mostly to support their pre-draft takes that he was a terrible pick. Pretty easy to see the talent he had in his rookie year, when you look at a guy like Tua though, he hasn't looked good at all. Will be interesting to see how long it takes Miami to move on from him. 

Everything we see from Allen today was present in his game as a rookie. He just has gotten much more consistent, better at reading defenses, able to rise to big moments better, etc.

The narrative that Josh Allen has ever sucked at the NFL level is, and always has been, untrue. What makes him so exciting today was still true his rookie year.

• Like (+1) 2

Allen didn't really suck his rookie season if you're comparing him to his peers:

Other rookie QBs.

I'm no NFL film guru or nearly on the level of posters like @GunnerBill as far as scouting knowledge, etc, but Allen's rookie season is the only thing I've ever actually took extensive time to do anything close to film review... and I did it in comparison to his peers.  And as far as ball accuracy, Allen was on the level (arguably better) as far as accuracy goes on his passes. 

Accuracy was the big thing everyone pointed to his rookie season because of his low completion percentage and his turnover rate, but the truth is Allen's biggest issue his rookie year was what any rookie QB's issue is their rookie year:

Decision making.

But he was also such a stud athlete that he could make up for some of those bad decisions with his legs.  The narrative even amongst experts and pundits who love Allen now like Colin Cowherd are that he was godawful for his first 2 years and just suddenly the light turned on in year 3 and that was just far from the case.  

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

It was the Vikings game that really got me to take notice of Allen. I was concerned about him when we drafted him, but here is when you could really see what he had to offer... 

And the Week 17 game against the Dolphins. He was dominant and efficient in that game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is what I know, 100% without a shadow of a doubt.  Anyone who says Allen sucked his rookie year 100% did NOT watch him actually play his rookie year.  

Allen had some big moments in his rookie year, things that made you think this kid has something special in him.  But most importantly, Allen looked like a completely different QB after he returned from injury, which also showed a big jump in development in a short window.  

As soon as I see anyone suggest he was terrible his rookie year, I immediately know this is not someone whose football opinion is worth hearing.  They are more interested in confirmation bias conclusions than actual analysis of real play on the field.  

Exactly....fully agreed. I wouldn't expect to take a conversation serious from anyone saying such a thing. How can one NOT take into consideration of how awful his surrounding cast was that year?? One of the worst core of WR's ever fielded by the Bills. I believe they had the most drops I can recall seeing. Also to add, the OL was terrible.

Josh had his hands full for sure and still was able to make plays. Obviously he wasn't perfect and I'm in no way saying he was, but he certainly was far from "sucking". All that said, there's no way his rookie performance can be judged without taking those issues into consideration.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Exactly....fully agreed. I wouldn't expect to take a conversation serious from anyone saying such a thing. How can one NOT take into consideration of how awful his surrounding cast was that year?? One of the worst core of WR's ever fielded by the Bills. I believe they had the most drops I can recall seeing. Also to add, the OL was terrible.

Josh had his hands full for sure and still was able to make plays. Obviously he wasn't perfect and I'm in no way saying he was, but he certainly was far from "sucking". All that said, there's no way his rookie performance can be judged without taking those issues into consideration.

The fact that there is a 5+ minute video of all the drops that happened in that one season says a lot.

I'd be surprised if other qbs have a low light video of all their drops from their full career that isn't that long. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The fact that there is a 5+ minute video of all the drops that happened in that one season says a lot.

I'd be surprised if other qbs have a low light video of all their drops from their full career that isn't that long. 

Exactly, not sure I have ever seen a drops video in the NFL get to FIVE minutes long for one season, thats a lot of drops.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Agree, In my 38 years as a fan, I honestly think that was the worst offensive roster a Bills QB had to work with I've seen

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly, not sure I have ever seen a drops video in the NFL get to FIVE minutes long for one season, thats a lot of drops.

Yup, and yet some will still say, "Allen sucked his rookie year"......

LOL, guess they expected Allen to catch his own passes and block for himself too. smh

43 minutes ago, The Wiz said:
Still one of my favorite freezing cold takes.

What a smug douche.  I wouldn't even care if Allen wasn't part of the conversation.  I wish Kiper had bitchslapped him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.