Rams - opening game of season Bills / Cowboys most likely

CorkScrewHill

1 hour ago, The Avenger said:

Exactly. This isn't about it being  a good game - it's all about big TV ratings to start the season and that means small market teams like Buffalo are at a huge disadvantage. Buffalo vs. Rams may be the game the fans feels would be the best game, but Dallas or San Fran would be bigger TV markets and that's all that matters.

This changes a bit if Buffalo can have sustained success and grows their national fanbase like we did in the 90s and KC is doing now, but that's the only time small market teams figure into any of this... 

Games like Bills Cowboys where Josh did heroics show that ratings when Bills involved in non-sleeper game does not depend upon size of Buffalo Market.  Same with Bills fans dominating stadiums against Jaguars and Panthers.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

The Bills do play the NFC North next season and the game against the Rams is the 17th game. The Bills and Cowboys don't play next year unless its in the Super Bowl.

After re-reading this post (after coffee) I realized I took it out of context.. .. 

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

America is tired of the Cowboys. Cross them off. Maybe the BIlls, but 49ers, or Green Bay, would also be interesting. And I would not count out the Patriots. However, trying to be unbiased here, I do think the Rams vs. Bills would have a strong national appeal.

They play GB at GB .. so that is off the list. They do not play the Patriots at all next year. We play the NFC North next year, but the 17th game addition for us is the Rams as the winner of their division.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Yep.  Bills typically have little primetime appeal to a national audience.   But we will see.   The KC game made the Bills a heck of a lot of fans.   

I think that has changed now over the last few years. Going back to the Thanksgiving day game against the Cowboys. The Bills have been on primetime a lot over the past few seasons and have mostly played well. Allen is considered one of the best and most exciting players to watch. My guess is 4 primetime games next year with them also getting the national game on Sunday afternoons a bunch of times.

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

America is tired of the Cowboys. Cross them off. Maybe the BIlls, but 49ers, or Green Bay, would also be interesting. And I would not count out the Patriots. However, trying to be unbiased here, I do think the Rams vs. Bills would have a strong national appeal.

The Cowboys aren't "The Cowboys!" anymore. The mystique is mostly gone. Josh is fast becoming a superstar off the field as well as on. I'll bet on the Bills.

• Disagree 1

It's not going to be the Bills and you'll hear the same rationale from the NFL front office schedule makers that they gave for not having Bucs/Bills opener last year. (i.e. it's a better option for a midseason type of game)

More I think about it I'm not sure there has ever been an interconference opening game since they started doing the Thursday night format. If there has someone please remind me.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Cowboys aren't "The Cowboys!" anymore. The mystique is mostly gone. Josh is fast becoming a superstar off the field as well as on. I'll bet on the Bills.

The Cowboys are the still the Cowboys when it comes to ratings. That is why they get a lot of primetime games even in years when the team isn't that great.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Games like Bills Cowboys where Josh did heroics show that ratings when Bills involved in non-sleeper game does not depend upon size of Buffalo Market.  Same with Bills fans dominating stadiums against Jaguars and Panthers.

Sadly I disagree. If you include teams from major markets and/or large national followings like Dallas or Green Bay you're guaranteed to get people tuning in, especially before the season has started and everybody is starting with a clean slate. Whether we like it or not, Buffalo is a small market team with a limited national following. I think we are heading in a good direction because the Bills are a good team and Josh is really fun to watch, but we don't have the guaranteed viewers that a Dallas or San Francisco would add to an opening game against the Rams. They can plug Buffalo in later in the season once they are contenders to be tops in the AFC and have a lot to play for but out of the gate week 1 I'm betting they go with the guaranteed bigger market team.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yet the Cowboys constantly got a bunch of Week 1 Sunday night games even when they weren't real playoff contenders.

Cowboys fans are everywhere, and they get good television ratings.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It really could be any of those teams and the ratings will still be huge because it’s the first game. I could see them saving Bills-Rams for SNF or MNF.

Tampa/Dallas was an even bigger ratings matchup and they chose that for the opener this past season.

11 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The Rams as the winner of the Super Bowl get first game to open season at home PFTalk conjecture is that the most compelling games are Cowboys or Bills. I think 49ers could also factor in. In general I would love to get that one out of the way and gives 10 days to prep for second game is season

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/14/cowboys-bills-strong-candidates-to-open-2022-season-against-rams/

i made another thread..

Bills st SB winner to open the season.

they did Cowboys last year so unlikely this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Started a thread weeks ago predicting the Bills would be the Thursday night season opener.

If it's not Bills vs. Rams that night, it'll be us going to KC on Sunday Night.

I could see them saving Bills at Chiefs for later in the year. I am guessing the Bengals probably get SNF since they were in the Super Bowl. The Bills went to the AFCCG last year and everyone (myself included) thought they would open week 1 on primetime. Look what happened Steelers at Bills 1:00

9 hours ago, chongli said:

Agreed with Buffalo. I also think the NFL would be mindful of Kroenke's complaints of 49'ers fans taking over the stadium, so I doubt it's SF. And it's been over 10 years since there was a conference championship game rematch for the opener.

Over on the 506 forums, the Bills are the overwhelming favorites. Some have also said if Rodgers goes to Denver, they could also be in play (as you stated too).

[registration and moderator approval required:]

https://506forums.com/index.php?topic=24459.0

Here are the nine choices for the Rams' opener, btw:

Seattle

SF

Arizona

Dallas

Carolina

Atlanta

Denver

Las Vegas

Buffalo

Won't be Dallas bc they just opened the season.  

Arizona and Seattle might have new QBs.

SF is the better choice of the 3 bc it's a championship rematch.  

Trey Lance opens the season at the Rams.

Bills at Chiefs will be the SNF opener bc it's the opener America deserves.  

Edited by Big Blitz

They will be raising their Super Bowl banner and I think the league will want to avoid having the stadium completely overtaken by visiting fans as much as possible.  Wouldn't be surprised if they go with a team that doesn't have a massive following... maybe Carolina?

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem is there are not many compelling NFC matchups because the NFC kinda stinks. If it isn't Rams v Niners then it has to be an AFC team IMO. 

I think you are much more likely to see Dallas or Arizona followed by SF all well before Buffalo.  I think the Bills would be on par with Seattle and Atlanta as follow up games in that time slot.

The opening night is about celebrating the team and most of the time they choose a good match-up that the defending SB champ should beat (15-3) since 2004.  I am revising my thoughts and I think Seattle and Atlanta both move higher assuming both QBs stay put - as they give potential QB match-ups, but still give the Rams a huge advantage.

I think Buffalo is a prime SNF or MNF matchup in LA.

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's not going to be the Bills and you'll hear the same rationale from the NFL front office schedule makers that they gave for not having Bucs/Bills opener last year. (i.e. it's a better option for a midseason type of game)

More I think about it I'm not sure there has ever been an interconference opening game since they started doing the Thursday night format. If there has someone please remind me.

Twice - 2007 and 2016.  About 10% of the time 2 out of 19 I believe since the defending SB champs started on Thursday.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.