Why did Marv not directly replace Ted Marchiabroda?

JohnNord

I believe it was one of the nfl films yearbook vids for the early 90’s teams that pointed out Ted was great at getting year over year improvement from JK, and this was sorely missed after he left. As good as Jim was, I wonder how much better he could’ve ended his career on had Ted stayed. Hopefully we won’t be saying the same thing about Daboll, but my gut tells me we won’t :thumbsup:.

30 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Losing a wallet is not uncommon now days

It’s a shame how often it happens to you during charitable fundraiser roll calls around here! :w00t:

1 hour ago, transient said:

I'm not a big Levy fan. He was good at getting a locker room full of big egos on the same page, for the most part, but he could never get out of the way of his own ego. If not for Polian providing the collection of HOF talent on both sides of the ball there's no way he's a HOF coach. The lack of a true OC after Marchibroda, the wasted talent on defense with Corey, and his asinine insistence that the Bills could just "out execute" their opponent in the SB's as Parcells, Gibbs, and Johnson outschemed and outcoached him to an embarrassing extent was infuriating. He was blinded by the fact the Bills were just that much more talented than the AFC for that stretch of the early 90s. He never figured out you couldn't win a championship on talent alone when you're up against a similarly talented opponent.

True that without his great players he's not a hall of fame coach.

But that's also true of every hall of fame coach. Marv was a very very good coach. 

Levy wasn't ignoring scheme. Don't know where you're getting that. The Bills did individual game prep and installation.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, Kelly ran the O like a kid in a yard. Andre turn the other way this time.....

etc.

Worked like a charm. Got Belicheat fired in Cleveland....

Yes, Marv was never big on strategy. He thought the game was pure execution.

But Belicheat watched Bill Walsh and others and then took strategy to a whole new level deciphering film to a whole new level and made dinosaurs like Levy obsolete. 
We really have little knowledge about Daboll's and company replacements, but they seem like good ideas. Hopefully Josh Allen's rise to dominance in the NFL will continue as planned. You almost know for sure that Beane will ensure Allen has the OL and weapons to continue to dominate (cuz last time I checked it's an eleven man game) .

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

I love revisionist history!

Can we go back and fire Marv?

Who’s saying that?  I’m just wondering why he didn’t directly replace Ted

59 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

True that without his great players he's not a hall of fame coach.

But that's also true of every hall of fame coach. Marv was a very very good coach. 

Levy wasn't ignoring scheme. Don't know where you're getting that. The Bills did individual game prep and installation.

I get the criticism of Levy and his staff though.  I think from an X’s and O’s standpoint they left a lot to be desired and were outcoached in every Super Bowl

12 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

Ralph was cheap.

I remember when they were trying to sign Joe Cribbs (our star RB of the day) to a new contract in 1982.  Ralph offered him $150,000 plus $250 for every rushing yard.  Cribbs was about to accept it when Ralph said no, that was a mistake he meant to write $25 per rushing yard.

For those of you who weren't around, maybe that will help you understand why Buffalo was always seen as an undesirable place to play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

An equally timely and relevant question is, why did it take Lincoln so long to replace General McClellan as General-in-Chief of the Union forces?

Not to mention, why go with an over the hill, overly academic, Halleck as the next choice? Makes no sense. 
Lincoln is so overrated. Didn't think about strategy - his success was only due to great soldiers.  And he was cheap!

(Do I have that right as to how we do it here?)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Ted gets way too much credit for the K-Gun or being some kind of innovator.   He was not.  The No Huddle’s success was not about any great OC scheme that he invented. It  was about having better talent on the field, getting favorable match ups,  and not letting the defense substitute.   These were the keys:  

1.   Kelly was excellent at reading defenses

2.  Kent Hull could read defenses and make line calls and the O-line was big, strong and athletic.  

3.  Our skill players had a lot of speed and HoF talent creating mismatches, and Thurman was an extremely versatile weapon.  

Ted’s offfense quite often didn’t produce results, leading us to use no the huddle in catch up situations.  The players realized that the no huddle was our best option and pushed for it.  

We replaced Ted with a position coach that covered two roles, not uncommon at the time.  The had an offensive assistant coach, Elijah Pitts, who also covered the RB position.   Ted himself coached the Bills QBs before he took the OC role.  

He has a career coaching record was 87–98–1 (.470) and 2–4 in the playoffs.   

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, transient said:

I'm not a big Levy fan. He was good at getting a locker room full of big egos on the same page, for the most part, but he could never get out of the way of his own ego. If not for Polian providing the collection of HOF talent on both sides of the ball there's no way he's a HOF coach. The lack of a true OC after Marchibroda, the wasted talent on defense with Corey, and his asinine insistence that the Bills could just "out execute" their opponent in the SB's as Parcells, Gibbs, and Johnson outschemed and outcoached him to an embarrassing extent was infuriating. He was blinded by the fact the Bills were just that much more talented than the AFC for that stretch of the early 90s. He never figured out you couldn't win a championship on talent alone when you're up against a similarly talented opponent.

Per the bold, I’d be interested in seeing a list of HOF coaches that didn’t have a collection of HOF talent on both sides of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, transient said:

The above is obviously not going over very well. One can't blame Bills Fans for being sentimental and nostalgic at the menotion of Marv.

That said, I've got your back. He was (imo) a so-so coach in every department other than soothing the egos of star players (which admittedly was important with those Super Bowl Bills teams).

Now if you think he was average at best as a coach, think about just how awful he was as a GM. The 2006 draft was monumentally stupid. It was bad beyond comprehension, much like the hiring of Dick Jauron. Do you remember when he "promised" Nate Clements that he wouldn't use the franchise tag on him?  

Levy always seemed like a nice man and I give him credit for trying, but there are several posters on this board who would have drafted better players for the Bufalo Bills, and I mean this. 

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The above is obviously not going over very well. One can't blame Bills Fans for being sentimental and nostalgic at the menotion of Marv.

That said, I've got your back. He was (imo) a so-so coach in every department other than soothing the egos of star players (which admittedly was important with those Super Bowl Bills teams).

Now if you think he was average at best as a coach, think about just how awful he was as a GM. The 2006 draft was monumentally stupid. It was bad beyond comprehension, much like the hiring of Dick Jauron. Do you remember when he "promised" Nate Clements that he wouldn't use the franchise tag on him?  

Levy always seemed like a nice man and I give him credit for trying, but there are several posters on this board who would have drafted better players for the Bufalo Bills, and I mean this. 

Jmo.

He was past his time when brought back as a GM. 

In terms of your assessment of him as a coach...of course you are welcome to your opinion, but the data indicates your opinion is incorrect. 

Some career highlights:

University of New Mexico - 14-6 record in two seasons and named coach of the year one of those seasons

College of William & Mary - twice coach of the year in five years

Montreal in the CFL - three Gray Cup appearances and two championships in five years. Named coach of the year once. 

KC - improved a putrid team's record for 3 straight years before being fired in year 5. The team regressed and didn't become a winner until 4 years later. 

Bills - 8 playoff appearances and 4 super bowl appearances in 11 seasons. Named coach of the year once. 

This is a "so-so" coach?

But hey, you probably have a master's degree from Harvard and a 46 year football coaching career that qualifies you to criticize his coaching capability. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

He was past his time when brought back as a GM. 

In terms of your assessment of him as a coach...of course you are welcome to your opinion, but the data indicates your opinion is incorrect. 

Some career highlights:

University of New Mexico - 14-6 record in two seasons and named coach of the year one of those seasons

College of William & Mary - twice coach of the year in five years

Montreal in the CFL - three Gray Cup appearances and two championships in five years. Named coach of the year once. 

KC - improved a putrid team's record for 3 straight years before being fired in year 5. The team regressed and didn't become a winner until 4 years later. 

Bills - 8 playoff appearances and 4 super bowl appearances in 11 seasons. Named coach of the year once. 

This is a "so-so" coach?

But hey, you probably have a master's degree from Harvard and a 46 year football coaching career that qualifies you to criticize his coaching capability. 

You don't need a master's degree from Harvard to know that he was outcoached in some of those Super Bowls. 

When Reed, Thomas, Kelly and Smith were getting older, Levy made little effort to replace them. He just kept drafting defensive backs in a league that was far more run oriented at the time. The team went straight downhill and Levy was reduced to standing next to Mauck and accompanying him in a screaming, spitting, foul mouthed, useless duet. I guess that you never noticed these trivial things.

In any case, thanks so much for allowing me to post opinions on a message board.  It matters.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, transient said:

You're not but Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, et al.    Since they know Marv just a slight bit more than you, I'll value their evaluations a slight bit more than I value theirs.

You do realize, don't you, that the performance of a player isn't solely a result of his innate talent?  The best coaches tap hidden potential and train players to perform at their very best.  They develop schemes that allow the players to shine.  

Just to give one example, look at Archie Manning.  Probably as much innate talente as his sons but he never sniffed a Super Bowl, never accomplished what his kids accomplished, because he didn't enjoy the same superior coaching and surrounding cast.  

It's true that Kelly and Company helped put Marv in the HOF.   It's also true he helped them get there as well.  

16 hours ago, chris heff said:

I don’t think replacing a coach like Ted Marchibroda is that easy. 

They could have at least tried to replace him...with an actual new body brought in from the outside.  

As noted above, Ralph was cheap.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You don't need a master's degree from Harvard to know that he was outcoached in some of those Super Bowls. 

When Reed, Thomas, Kelly and Smith were getting older, Levy made little effort to replace them. He just kept drafting defensive backs in a league that was far more run oriented at the time. The team went straight downhill and Levy was reduced to standing next to Mauck and accompanying him in a screaming, spitting, foul mouthed, useless duet. I guess that you never noticed these trivial things.

In any case, thanks so much for allowing me to post opinions on a message board.  It matters.

If you don't like the Bills drafts in the latter part of the Levy era I think that is on Polian and Butler. Unlike today's setup where McDermott reports to the owner, same as Beane, back then Levy reported up through the GM. I'm sure he had influence but not the final call. 

He was outcoached to varying degrees in those Super Bowls. That was against fellow Hall-of-Famers Parcells, Gibbs, and Johnson. Meanwhile in the playoffs he was schooling Shula, Cowher, and Flores, also all in the HOF. 

I don't know about 'trivial' things, I just noticed his 5 coach of the year awards in 4 different leagues, across 5 different decades. 

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Thanks for adding nothing 

I don't know...I laughed at it. And I thought your original post was interesting!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.