Mike McDaniel hired as HC by Miami

Hapless Bills Fan

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Unless there are criminal charges, yes he will. 

From what I have seen, that aspect is still in the air.

However, if he makes it all go away from paying the 18 of 22 that are reported to be ready to settle...the stink will linger.

If a team wants to make a move for him and invest what the Texans are reportedly asking it's a nightmare for the league and most importantly, it's sponsors. 

Right now the LAST thing the NFL needs is more national controversy. 

I'll be honest this move is a bit perplexing because it seems like a retread may have been the better option for Miami given they are essentially set up to win now with their talented roster and all the other assets they have in cap room and draft picks.

But apparently McDaniel is pretty highly regarded so will be interesting to see what happens there even though they are still chasing both the Bills and Pats at the moment.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

From what I have seen, that aspect is still in the air.

However, if he makes it all go away from paying the 18 of 22 that are reported to be ready to settle...the stink will linger.

If a team wants to make a move for him and invest what the Texans are reportedly asking it's a nightmare for the league and most importantly, it's sponsors. 

Right now the LAST thing the NFL needs is more national controversy. 

Criminal charges get less likely the longer this goes. Isn't impossible they still come, but it is less likely. 

On 2/2/2022 at 10:57 PM, Augie said:

IF what Flores alleges regarding paying for losses proves to be true, this will probably be the last hire Ross ever makes for the Dolphins. In this day and age, with the gambling angle especially, THAT has to lead to swift action by the league. 

And potentially by law enforcement. 

9 hours ago, FarrellsFinest said:

Yes! Im calling BS! He is making a mockery of the rule. You cant piss on somebody call it rain and expect them to ignor it.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Provide a link to your findings. Please. Right now, you are the one telling everyone your opinion is rain when it really has a yellow hue to it. So prove it. Provide some evidence. 

My take, for whatever it's worth:

1) The calls for McDaniel to somehow validate his "Blackness" to the public are out of line.  If the league is satisfied he meets the letter of their law, that's enough

2) There's a valid point that the NFL giving out draft picks to the team that "developed" McDaniel as a HC candidate goes against the spirit of the rule.  I don't know, but it seems entirely likely that McDaniel has not been subject to the lifelong racism where some people are treated differently because of the dark color of their skin, and struggle to advance (one study that Black assistant coaches are 144x less likely to be promoted than their white counterparts).

From that POV, it can be viewed as a "mockery", just as a team satisfying the Rooney Rule by doing a quick in-person interview of an in-house Black assistant before hiring the guy they had in mind all along, is a mockery.  It's not serving the purpose of encouraging clubs to give more development opportunities and more consideration to promotion of more Black assistants. 

The Rooney Rule was modified to force clubs to put a bit more realistic effort into it (two interviews with external candidates plus one in person interview with an external candidate).

It wouldn't surprise me if the draft picks rule got modified.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If this is what the towel boy is coming home to every night...I'd be one fluffy towel, Downey comfort, handing out fella any day of the week...

Yeah does look as though he Outkicked his Coverage

Interesting that Miami chose to show McDaniel arriving by private jet

Giants chose to show Daboll driving up to the facility in a truck

Does that mean Mara is Cheap?

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The most exciting days for Dolphins fans is the day they hire a HC and a few years later when he is fired. 

That phone call seems so forced and cringey. 

I thought it was a joke at first. What is happening there? Pouring it on a little thick

The entire world? 

• Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, 97bills said:

All I heard was a potty mouth that said run the F - - - ball nothing to see here. 👎

I get that were probably from diff times, but I'll never understand people being so torn up about a bad word lol

Hes not a nanny, Hes a football coach and it's a candid moment. 

Morals:

Worlds most violent sport.... that's ok, as long as coach doesn't say the bad sounds.

We should go after the troops and their dark senses of humor next! How dare they think different thoughts than me!!!

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, I would think the first time I spoke to the QB I would not want to be on camera.

Yea, I was probably too harsh on him. Whoever set this up and thought it was a good idea to record and post is really to blame. The whole thing is just awkward.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought it was a joke at first. What is happening there? Pouring it on a little thick

The entire world? 

Yeah, and "My job is to coach you...to get all that greatness out of you"

I know Daboll and Allen ended as a mutual admiration society

But they started with Daboll red-faced and angry, screaming through the helmet radio at Allen for making the wrong throw, and Allen standing there taking it: 

"What did you say to him?"  "Wasn't much to say, throw to the flat next time.  But there isn't much to scream about now."

"No coach I'd rather play for in the entire world" just sounds terribly forced and scripted.

Poor coach has a mandate to make it work with Tua, seems like (of course). That vid is a little cringey, but not because of McDaniel's demeanor, as many are suggesting. I think a less formal, more awkward and authentic personality can potentially work with the young player cohort in the NFL. Appeals to authority don't land the way they once did. But such relaxed personalities don't often translate well in staged settings, precisely because faking it is anathema to their ethos. My read, anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

"No coach I'd rather play for in the entire world…which I thought was nice, since first time I really talked to him.”

😂😂😂

McDaniel playing chess while everyone else is eating their checkers.

Hopefully he can stay the eccentric, goofy, hipster and not get swallowed up by “NFL…so important…life and death.  Let’s skip our only months of summer so we can get back to football.”  🙄 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.