So it's the Washington Commanders now?

stuvian

36 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Not yet

Personally I find King, Duke, Earl, etc. offensive.  This country was founded on breaking away from the English Overlords.

When those are banned I will be sad however.  

Duke Ellington, the King of old school R&B, is one of my favorite singers and Duke of Earl is favorite song of his.

A dude like Snyder isn’t going to do anything that people like.  The evidence of that is overwhelmingly clear. This team name is so damn stupid, blah and meaningless.  It’s actually more generic feeling than Football Team.  The little POS owner likes control over everything especially women in his organization, so Commanders seemed attractive.  I think the fans would’ve loved Hogs or some form of it, because it means something.  They don’t like this that’s for sure.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, peterpan said:

Redskin is not derogatory.  Or at least it wasn't.  It's well know that the name was loved by Native Americans and endorsed by them when first announced 90 years ago.  The logo was drawn by Natives and intended to be factually accurate, which it was.  

I have family that are part Cherokee.  They are big Blackhawks fans.  They love that their heritage honored by sports teams.   They prefer being called Indians  to Native Americans too.  It's mainly white people making these pushes, and a vocal minority of Natives.

Also check out the Google street view of 501 N Franklin St, Watkins Glenn NY 14891.  I'd post a pic if the site let me, but  It's downtown Watkins Glen.  If being called "red" was so offensive, why did so many Native people's call themselves red men??? (Fact is it wasn't historically derogatory)

And also, yes, these people do find Chiefs offensive.  Also with drawings of Indian heads or arrow heads or tomahawks.  They are offended by their own history it seems. 

Oh wow…you have completely ruined Peter Pan for me.

All this time, your refusal to grow up was a facade for a refusal to confront deep-seated bigotries toward Indigenous peoples??

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

After two years of development, they came up with this gem....🤣🤣😵

the name does not inspire. Its too "ground control to major Tom" for me...YES COMMANDER.....nah Im not a fan. Could have kept WFT and been at least unique as going by initials only.....

29 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I hear the cheerleaders will be called the Commandos. Already envisioning THEIR uniforms.. 😲

commandettes...lol actually I could see each women in a lil sexy flight suit, go with a military slant....otherwise it's gonna be flight attendant sideline chic

LOL

• Like (+1) 1

I thought Red Wolves or Red Tails would have been good. Red Wolves was the one I would have chosen. The fans could have carried on the chant "hail to the red..."

Commanders has an AAF feel to it but whatever. They're so irrelevant now and will be so long as that vile man is owning the team

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Oh wow…you have completely ruined Peter Pan for me.

All this time, your refusal to grow up was a facade for a refusal to confront deep-seated bigotries toward Indigenous peoples??

u owe me a new keyboard I just gigglesnorted coffee all over mine

GF lmaooooooooo

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Commies for short???? 🤔 

Seriously though.  Every team with a name of 3+ syllables typically gets shortened, e.g. Bucs, Pats*, Niners, Cards.  I guess when you think about it some of those sound dumb too out of context.  They probably end up being referred to as the "Comms"...or they really just stick to their guns (no pun intended) with Commanders.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.