Rooney Rule Requirements

billswhip

3 hours ago, billswhip said:

This board has some questions on the rule specifics as is pertain to hiring....

The NFL has tinkered with the Rooney Rule several times since the embarrassing hiring cycle following the 2019 regular season when just one of five coaching vacancies was filled by a person of color.

In May 2020, the league changed the Rooney Rule to require teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for a head coaching job and at least one external minority candidate for a coordinator job.

BUF is required to comply and interview aft least one external minority candidate for any coordinator opening

Is it about the opportunity? (as half the people in this thread seem to believe) or is about pre-determined outcomes (which is what this original post seems to be complaining about) ? 

Some of you pushing back on this rule are totally out of touch with reality. I suppose that’s not unexpected given you’ve never had to live as a minority, but rather than arguing what should or shouldn’t be, put that energy towards understanding why something like this exists. If after that you’re still unsure, PM me and I’ll give you stories on what it’s like to live in America with a darker skin tone. Racial bias still exists, whether any of you want to admit it or not.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Great how many women have been interviewed for a HC job this year? I haven’t heard of any. Is this rule broken? 

On the contrary: https://onherturf.nbcsports.com/2021/09/09/2021-nfl-season-record-12-women-coaches/

This is to say nothing of the impact in the executive suite. If you're over the age of 30, you're old enough to see this transformation take place in real time int he private sector as well. When i went to college, we had 8 women as members of our class. The landscape of today looks FAR different.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Again, no. Like, not at all. What you're saying is the opposite of true and the reason that things like The Rooney Rule exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Apke

Yup, there’s been 1 in 18 years. 
5 CB per team. 32 teams. 18 yrs. Avg CB carreer of 3 years. 
do the math. 
1 in 960 opportunities. If whites are 60% of US population >18 , that number should have been 576 instead of 1. 

Right Bull?

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Some of you pushing back on this rule are totally out of touch with reality. I suppose that’s not unexpected given you’ve never had to live as a minority, but rather than arguing what should or shouldn’t be, put that energy towards understanding why something like this exists. If after that you’re still unsure, PM me and I’ll give you stories on what it’s like to live in America with a darker skin tone. Racial bias still exists, whether any of you want to admit it or not.

Amen... Barley 1 generation removed 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Yup, there’s been 1 in 18 years. 
5 CB per team. 32 teams. 18 yrs. Avg CB carreer of 3 years. 
do the math. 
1 in 960 opportunities. If whites are 60% of US population >18 , that number should have been 576 instead of 1. 

Right Bull?

Nope. Nice job on putting in extra effort to be wrong, though.

• Vomit 3

2 hours ago, Lost said:

If the world is all about equity over substance now, shouldn't we have a rule that at least 2 women be interviewed for coaching positions as well then?

As more women get lower level coaching positions in the league and work their way up they will do so, just as Becky Hammond did in basketball.  

The ignorance of folks about this is astounding.  Equity is about giving people chances, not guaranteeing anything.  Why does it scare you so much?

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I hate the Rooney rule because it’s not working. It’s crazy too me how guys like Eric Beinemy, Todd Bowles, and other top coordinators of color still can’t sniff  HC jobs but a guy like Josh McCown, A guy with zero coaching experience can be a lead candidate.

A league that’s 70% African America but there is only 1 African American HC. That’s crazy too me 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I hate the Rooney rule because it’s not working. It’s crazy too me how guys like Eric Beinemy, Todd Bowles, and other top coordinators of color still can’t sniff  HC jobs but a guy like Josh McCown, A guy with zero coaching experience can be a lead candidate.

A league that’s 70% African America but there is only 1 African American HC. That’s crazy too me 

What about the systemic racism leads to have a league that is 70% African American among players.  Such a wildly disproportionate outcome could not possibly be reflective of true merit. 

Edited by Chaos

40 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Todd Bowles was the Jets coach for 3 years, he wasn’t that successful so it’s gonna take time before he gets another shot. Eric Bienemy had close to a half dozen interviews last season, maybe he doesn’t handle an interview well, we don’t know.  Neither do the the talking heads on most sports channels.  

What’s going on with McCown blows my mind but the Texans have done a lot of crazy things the past few years. 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Do you think white people aren't given a fair shake? Are they not eligible for the draft?

Maybe they should invite more to the combine. Jk

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Do you think white people aren't given a fair shake? Are they not eligible for the draft?

Of course they do and of course they are.

My question is why is it somehow OK to to have racial equity out of whack in one area (players) of the organization and not in another (coaching)?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.