Are we over-reacting to the 13 seconds?

cv05

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

It sucks, but man some of the people on this forum seem to think that the 2021 Bills are the first team to lose a playoff game.  

In that fashion?  Yes, we probably are the first team.

That was epic levels of collapse.  Inexcusable levels of collapse. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If they gave up 40 yards in 13 seconds because Kelce made a great contested catch or Hill has an amazing run after catch then all well. The way it happened is the issue. They gave the FG attempt to them.

Which doesn't happen if the kickoff gets fielded. 

The fact we don't have an answer now post McDs comments is honestly quite unacceptable 

If Bass screwed up no one will care or blame him.  He's just the kicker and the D still had to royally f up.  I don't buy that we're protecting Tyler Bass by not saying what went wrong or what the call was. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You can name all the differences you want. Here is the only thing that matters: NE gave up almost 50 yards in 2 plays at the end of the AFCCG they were leading by a field goal.

And the truth is the end of the game Sunday could have transpired exactly the same was as it did in the NE/KC game and you would be on here today whining and demanding...

Agree to disagree. There is the what happened and there is a how it happened. Watch the Bills/KC ending side by side with KC/NE side by side. KC gets credit for making plays vs NE. The Bills was an epic failure, essentially without an effort to stop it. 

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Which doesn't happen if the kickoff gets fielded. 

The fact we don't have an answer now post McDs comments is honestly quite unacceptable 

If Bass screwed up no one will care or blame him.  He's just the kicker and the D still had to royally f up.  I don't buy that we're protecting Tyler Bass by not saying what went wrong or what the call was. 

Already broke it down.  He kicked with the intention of getting a touchback.  The kicker has to be told what to do and teammates be ready.  Really simple.

1. Touchback
  2. left
  3. right
  4. middle
  5. squib
  6. 5-10 yardline

Not rocket science.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not a chance, and quite frankly this is now the 2nd year in a row where the Bills have lost critical games in the final seconds due to an absurd lack of awareness when it comes to situation football.

Just not sure after the Hail Murray crap how this team could find an even worse way to lose a game in the final seconds considering what was on the line.

I disagee on the 2nd point.  On Hail Murray, Hopkins was surrounded by THREE Bills defenders, including some of our best DBs.  I don't think you could blanket a WR any better without mugging him to the point of getting a PI call (and yes, I know those are rare on Hail Mary passes). Hopkins just made an unbelievable play.  On the other end of that play, Addison had Murray on the run and he was scrambling for his life and nearly OB before unleashing the throw.  It was just a great play on both ends.  The Cardinals suck (relative to the Bills) and the Bills should never have been in that position. 

This is UNLIKE Sunday.  Hill, Kelce and Mahomes did not make any incredible athletic plays in the final 13 seconds.  They just took what the defense gave them.  They were not proprerly covered or even impeded by the Bills top defensive backs - they were wide open with a free release off the line.

As to the OP - while I don't think we are over-reacting in the respect of being upset and frustrated, I do think this board is beating the situation to death.  Me included.  It should have been handled better, a huge opportunity to get to and win a SB was squandered, etc.  But it happened, it's over, and no matter how many threads we have about it, how many ways we scrutinize it, how many ways it could have been better handled, etc. are not going to change it.  The Bills still have a very good coaching staff, a great team and will be a contender for years to come.  The Bills are extremely fortunate to have Josh Allen.  30 other teams wish they had him.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Already broke it down.  He kicked with the intention of getting a touchback.  The kicker has to be told what to do and teammates be ready.  Really simple.

1. Touchback
  2. left
  3. right
  4. middle
  5. squib
  6. 5-10 yardline

Not rocket science.

We know the options.  We know this.  

Then why the f is McD talking about "execution?"

It implicates or suggests Bass screwed up.  This a solid strategy for keeping the trust of the locker room you could lose?   

Edited by Big Blitz

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Agree to disagree. There is the what happened and there is a how it happened. Watch the Bills/KC ending side by side with KC/NE side by side. KC gets credit for making plays vs NE. The Bills was an epic failure, essentially without an effort to stop it. 

As I said, my suspicion is you would be reacting exactly the same way no matter how KC would have gotten into FG range....

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We know the options.  We know this.  

Then why the f is McD talking about "execution?"

It implicates or suggests Bass screwed up.  This a solid strategy for keeping the trust of the locker room you could lose?   

Only answer if Bass blew it, is no one told Bass and he did what he did all game, which is kick it through the endzone.  No kicker try a pooch kick that sails 70 yards in the air, and his approach for high short kicks is like a FG....

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

As I said, my suspicion is you would be reacting exactly the same way no matter how KC would have gotten into FG range....

I would be quite different. I would be pissed we lost, but some point accepted KC did what it needed to win. This is different and most people on here see that. This was an awful coaching decision that impacted the game. Not players outplaying players. 

All three other games that weekend ended with the winning team kicking a field goal to win it on the final play.  Every one of the teams that lost are wondering how in the world their defense let that damn other team get into field goal range.   We're not alone in all the second guessing of play and/or coaching.

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I would be quite different. I would be pissed we lost, but some point accepted KC did what it needed to win. This is different and most people on here see that. This was an awful coaching decision that impacted the game. Not players outplaying players. 

I'm not sure most people on here see it the same as you. I think there is a small minority of people who are flooding this forum with posts demanding this and demanding that, while most of us have handled our disappointment a bit more rationally, accepted that mistakes were made by coaches and players, and fully expect they will learn from it and continue to grow and get better. 

Edited by billsfan1959

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not sure most people on here see it the same as you. I think there is a small minority of people who are flooding this forum with posts demanding this and demanding that, while most of us have handled our disappointment a bit more rationally, accepted that mistakes were made by coaches and players, and fully expect they will learn from it and continue to grow and get better. 

Not sure about all of that or what I am demanding. I thought this was a conversation comparing what KC did to NE vs. what they did this past weekend. I disagree with the take that what KC did was normal and the KC/NE was the same thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ngbills said:

Not sure about all of that or what I am demanding. I thought this was a conversation comparing what KC did to NE vs. what they did this past weekend. I disagree with the take that what KC did was normal and the KC/NE was the same thing. 

Well, I think we covered that. As you said, we can agree to disagree. Cheers

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If they gave up 40 yards in 13 seconds because Kelce made a great contested catch or Hill has an amazing run after catch then all well. The way it happened is the issue. They gave the FG attempt to them.

Nailed it. It’s was strategy issue. If Bills are ok with kicking out of end zone (I don’t agree) then D strategy was flawed. Playing as if they were preventing a TD. Not bumping two best receivers at line or even holding if they elude. Even more egregious because it is Hill

and Kelce !!
It’s not overreaction to say final say goes to McDermy. So disappointed as his game decisions had improved on the O side. Multiple D time outs in critical situations had up to this point worked. Just incredible to have been so passive given the talent on KC. 

• Like (+1) 3

No. 

We rushed four even though Mahomes had to throw quickly. We had two guys guarding the sidelines even though Chiefs had three timeouts. Basically, we sacrificed half our defense needlessly. Then, we call a timeout to give them a good look at our crappy defense which allowed Kelce to break off his route and find the seam. No bumping WRs. No nothing.

We should have had 9 guys in coverage. We should have squib kicked. We F'd up so relentlessly in those 13 seconds it's a wonder we didn't somehow lose before OT.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.