Allen/McDermott = Manning/Dungy

uticaclub

I just have this sick feeling that we will never get over the hump with McDermott. The man deserves a lot of credit for changing things at One Bills Drive (even though I thought we were on our way with Rexy, just can't win consistently with Tyrod), but McDermott like Dungy will prevent their team from being a true dynasty. Peyton Manning was the one the best QBs of all time and when we drafted Allen even his biggest supporters didn't think he would get Manning comparisons, but  he's earned that. Manning got to 1 Super Bowl during the prime of his career because Dungy was a lousy game day coach, Manning then went to 3 in the twilight of his career sans Dungy. We are going to win a lot of regular season games, beat up weak opponents then routinely get outcoached in the playoffs.  

Edited by uticaclub
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

I can see the comparison but a better comparison is John Elway who was basically a one man gang with the 80s Broncos teams only to watch other teams celebrate in blowout Super Bowl losses 

That changed when Mike Shannahan came in and said John you don’t have to do it yourself I think McDermott sees that now a little earlier then Dungy did 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Andy Reid was considered to be a choker in big games for over a decade. Philly fans always complained about his time management & coming up short, and were happy when he left.

McDermott is going to be fine. He's a great coach.  EVERY coach makes mistakes.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

Andy Reid was considered to be a choker in big games for over a decade. Philly fans always complained about his time management & coming up short, and were happy when he left.

McDermott is going to be fine. He's a great coach.  EVERY coach makes mistakes.

Mahomes being a lot better than McNabb is a major factor

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I just have this sick feeling that we will never get over the hump with McDermott. The man deserves a lot of credit for changing things at One Bills Drive (even though I thought we were on our way with Rexy, just can't win consistently with Tyrod), but McDermott like Dungy will prevent their team from being a true dynasty. Peyton Manning was the one the best QBs of all time and when we drafted Allen even his biggest supporters didn't think he would get Manning comparisons, but  he's earned that. Manning got to 1 Super Bowl during the prime of his career because Dungy was a lousy game day coach, Manning then went to 3 in the twilight of his career sans Dungy. We are going to win a lot of regular season games, beat up weak opponents then routinely get outcoached in the playoffs.  

Just a feeling? Nothing more?

• Haha (+1) 1

Dungy was a great coach who ran into Belichick and Brady in their primes. 

Brady's done, and Bill is 70.

There's nobody like that now. Chiefs are great but those Patriot teams got into peoples' heads. 

If McD and Allen go to 4 Super Bowls and win 2 I think we'd be pretty happy. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2

The game was won.  McDermott and his staff beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead,, then blew it in an inexplicable 13 seconds that may never be replicated.  But it took a special team to win that game.

McDermott is fine.. he will bank this experience like everything else.  The best thing the Bills can do is keep the continuity at head coach.  

The Chiefs are like the Bills from the early-mid 90's.  The AFC couldn't stop them come playoff time.  You couldn't kill them off.  How many great coaches, QB's and DC's did the Bills humiliate back then.  The Bills prevented some very good AFC teams from ever reaching the Super Bowl.  

That is KC now, and they are doing it to us.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.