Urban Meyer - "Worst experience in my professional life“

Draconator

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

There were at least a couple of precedents for college-only head coaches with zero pro experience who became NFL Head Coaches.

Bud Wilkinson and Lou Holtz.

In college their combined record was 394-161-11.

In the NFL their combined record was  12-30.

If Shahid Khan was a true NFL fan he would have been more wary of hiring someone of Meyer's profile.

BTW, Wilkinson and Holtz also combined for 4 NCAA National Championships.

I believe the last truly successful NFL coach with ZERO previous NFL experience (coaching or playing) was Jimmy Johnson. 

It's a sucker's bet, IMO. 

Show some intelligence and humility.  Take an assistant/coordinator job with top fight HC/organization.  Learn. Blossom.  I think that would increase their chances for success in the NFL.

I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

I believe the last truly successful NFL coach with ZERO previous NFL experience (coaching or playing) was Jimmy Johnson. 

Show some intelligence and humility.  Take an assistant/coordinator job with top fight HC/organization.  Learn. Blossom.  I think that would increase their chances for success in the NFL.

Good call on Jimmy Johnson. I'd obviously forgotten about him.

I agree though that it's very hard for a person to succeed in a world in which they haven't so much as dipped a toe into.

5 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

There were at least a couple of precedents for college-only head coaches with zero pro experience who became NFL Head Coaches.

Bud Wilkinson and Lou Holtz.

In college their combined record was 394-161-11.

In the NFL their combined record was  12-30.

If Shahid Khan was a true NFL fan he would have been more wary of hiring someone of Meyer's profile.

BTW, Wilkinson and Holtz also combined for 4 NCAA National Championships.

Somehow I had forgotten that Bud Wilkinson ever coached in the NFL. I'm old enough that I ought to remember that. Unless of course the problem is I'm too old to remember that ....

It was the St. Louis Cardinals, who were pretty much the definition of a completely nondescript team back then. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Somehow I had forgotten that Bud Wilkinson ever coached in the NFL. I'm old enough that I ought to remember that. Unless of course the problem is I'm too old to remember that ....

It was the St. Louis Cardinals, who were pretty much the definition of a completely nondescript team back then. 

Well if you're old enough to remember Bud Wilkinson then you might remember this one:

Or maybe you've forgotten it...

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Meyer is an egomaniac that commands respect to young kids looking to make the NFL but doesn’t have the skills to be successful in the NFL.  I even think he was successful in influencing the pro game with his offenses before ever coaching in the NFL, and he is a great college coach.  He’s not a good person by several accounts but there are plenty of programs that would hire him in a hot second.  I don’t like him but I respect his success in college.  Since leaving Florida the program has been meandering and I hate how he left feigning health issues because the rumor is he had really rubbed some big time boosters the wrong way by some affair scandal (also apparently he and his wife have open marriage/swingers).  I don’t really care about what people do or how they live but I do respect integrity and sincerity and I think he lacks both. 

He doesn’t command respect at all

On 1/26/2022 at 12:07 PM, FilthyBeast said:

It's still mind blowing the Bills lost to this guy, and in hindsight it's essentially the game that cost them home field over the Chiefs in the playoffs.

This is the type of stuff the Pegulas truly need to consider if McDermott doesn't deliver next year.

LOL- your comedy is gold.

• Like (+1) 1

This dude is simply a giant POS who feels important by putting other people down and taking all the credit when things go well and none of the blame when things go poorly.  No respect for him from players or coaches.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Funny as seeing someone falling down flight of stairs and breaking neck.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

This dude is simply a giant POS who feels important by putting other people down and taking all the credit when things go well and none of the blame when things go poorly.  No respect for him from players or coaches.

That is not nice thing to say and you seem to implying poster Beastie is an alias for Meyer because they use the same act.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Funny as seeing someone falling down flight of stairs and breaking neck.

That is not nice thing to say and you seem to implying poster Beastie is an alias for Meyer because they use the same act.

Truth hurts sometimes. 

16 hours ago, The Dean said:

Plus Jimmy Johnson got to do it when there were few limits on things like practice, time with players, even pre-season scrimmages and games.

He was able to keep some of the college schedules.  If he came in now from college - like Meyer - he would fail with the shift to a tight ship and mandatory timing.  It is not easy to get everything done on a limited schedule.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Plus Jimmy Johnson got to do it when there were few limits on things like practice, time with players, even pre-season scrimmages and games.

He was able to keep some of the college schedules.  If he came in now from college - like Meyer - he would fail with the shift to a tight ship and mandatory timing.  It is not easy to get everything done on a limited schedule.

Exactly.  IMO it was easier to make the transition back when JJ did it. 

However I won't say Johnson would absolutely fail to make the transition today. But it would be much tougher, and the odds wouldn't be on his side.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/23/2022 at 6:17 AM, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not sure why everyone is bumping this thread from a few months ago, but it's still true today.

This was a crushing loss for this team and isn't the first time McDermott has lost to lessor 'one and done' type of coaches. Also had a memorable gaffe against the Freddie Kitchen Browns a few years ago.

19 hours ago, The Dean said:

Exactly.  IMO it was easier to make the transition back when JJ did it. 

However I won't say Johnson would absolutely fail to make the transition today. But it would be much tougher, and the odds wouldn't be on his side.

Jimmy Johnson was a great football coach in the Parcells mold. He knew his X's and O's and also knew how to lead a group of men, whether in college or the pros. He would succeed anywhere, IMO.

The thing is, he would drive players hard but he would be right there with them grinding. That buys you some leeway with guys. Then the wins start coming and guys buy in even more. They get that there is a method to the madness. 

On the other hand, Urban didn't do his homework, seemed to want to do as little as possible, and yet expected his guys to work like madmen while he "delegated" everything and obviously didn't do everything he could to be better since he didn't even know who Aaron Donald was. ANY causal NFL fan knows who Donald is, let alone a guy whose JOB is to know and who is getting paid tens of millions of dollars to be on top of those... I wouldn't even call that a detail. Knowing the backup guard for a team you're playing is a detail. 

Knowing Donald is a freaking headline! 

In my opinion (based on his NFL tenure and things we're reading now) Urban Meyer's entire resume was built on recruiting such clearly superior talent that just about any coach could "coach" them to titles. Then it was a lot of pumping his ego by walking around campus and having everyone fawn over him, mixed in with verbally abusing his players who were too scared to say anything back because he was URBAN MEYER! The guy who has places named after him off campus and is a total "legend" and big shot. 

His approach to the NFL was apparently the same playbook, except nobody gave a crap that he was "Urban Meyer". LOL

What an empty suit. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

Reminds me of an old Maddenism: "Sometimes the best move is the one you don't make"

Had Urban just stayed out of the NFL he would be celebrated (right or wrong), treated like some legend, and have his ego puffed everywhere he went. PLUS he could continually turn down NFL offers and take any college gig he wanted, if he wanted. 

Instead, he's seen as a joke. 

Before nobody wanted to be the one to criticize the legendary Urban Meyer, because you'd be alone. Once it starts though people come out of the woodwork!

Edited by TheFunPolice

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Jimmy Johnson was a great football coach in the Parcells mold. He knew his X's and O's and also knew how to lead a group of men, whether in college or the pros. He would succeed anywhere, IMO.

I agree with almost your entire assessment. But I'll say even if there was a  "new Jimmy Johnson" in the college ranks with zero NFL experience (coaching or playing) he'd be a bad bet to be a successful NFL HC today.  I'm not saying he couldn't/wouldn't be successful, but the odds would be stacked against him, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.