Heartbreaking Divisional Round loss...just like in '89...

Big Turk

Huge parallels all year to the 1989 season. Team didn't understand how to take everyone's best shot each week after making it to the AFC Championship game the previous year...figured it out a little towards the end of the year...then the heartbreaking loss in the Divisional round...in '89 it was Harmon with the dropped pass in the end zone. Today it was 13 seconds...both inexcusable.

The good part is next year will be 1990 for us on that timeline and this time we need to finish it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I love the optimism of the OP, but man, this is nothing like 89, I don't think.  We don't have Bruce Smith, or anything similar (unless we trade 3 firsts for Watt, which I would do given Bean's drafting in the 1st minus Josh).  We have no impact LB's, and the OL has no one like Kent Hull, Ritcher, etc.  We have Allen.  I've used the Marvin Lewis Bengals analogy, but a better one is the 90's Dolphins.  Marino and .....

Bean won't be fired, while I think he should be, but another offseason of adding zero impact players and he needs to go.  The window is there, but we need other players.  It's a QB league, but he can't do it all himself.  

Also, Allen better win NFL MVP.  If he's not on this team I doubt we are even 8-8. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I love the optimism of the OP, but man, this is nothing like 89, I don't think.  We don't have Bruce Smith, or anything similar (unless we trade 3 firsts for Watt, which I would do given Bean's drafting in the 1st minus Josh).  We have no impact LB's, and the OL has no one like Kent Hull, Ritcher, etc.  We have Allen.  I've used the Marvin Lewis Bengals analogy, but a better one is the 90's Dolphins.  Marino and .....

Bean won't be fired, while I think he should be, but another offseason of adding zero impact players and he needs to go.  The window is there, but we need other players.  It's a QB league, but he can't do it all himself.  

Also, Allen better win NFL MVP.  If he's not on this team I doubt we are even 8-8. 

zero chance Allen wins MVP this season.   Voting closes before the playoffs. 

In the immediate aftermath I feel just really really drained and just defeated.  the immediate reaction is to call for fraziers head.  i agree but not for just this performance.  Against good teams this defense has been gashed and run up and down the field over and over.  the front four is deficient and unable to generate sufficient pressure on their own.  i realize i don't even enjoy game day anymore.  i dread it like a visit to the dentist.i  its a stressful experience which i endure on a weekly basis.  i sit there my blood pressure skyrocketing, pulse pounding. palms sweating.  i do not have fun one tiny bity. i don't even know why i do this just that its part of my dna of being born in buffalo.  i dont want to care but i do and it sucks.  it becomes traumatic when you're subjected to heartbreaking loss after loss.  there is never a reward at the end and probably never will be.  thats probably the part that really gets me is that i know this thing is cursed so im rooting for a team that will always disappoints and thats not healthy.

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

oh, ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the OT rule.  Such as half-assed change.  Let's give both teams the ball, but, um, not if the first team scores.  Half-sudden-death, half not.    

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

That 89 team went 9-7.

If Patrick Mahomes wasn’t on the Chiefs, what’s their record?

Just now, larrym said:

In the immediate aftermath I feel just really really drained and just defeated.  the immediate reaction is to call for fraziers head.  i agree but not for just this performance.  Against good teams this defense has been gashed and run up and down the field over and over.  the front four is deficient and unable to generate sufficient pressure on their own.  i realize i don't even enjoy game day anymore.  i dread it like a visit to the dentist.i  its a stressful experience which i endure on a weekly basis.  i sit there my blood pressure skyrocketing, pulse pounding. palms sweating.  i do not have fun one tiny bity. i don't even know why i do this just that its part of my dna of being born in buffalo.  i dont want to care but i do and it sucks.  it becomes traumatic when you're subjected to heartbreaking loss after loss.  there is never a reward at the end and probably never will be.  thats probably the part that really gets me is that i know this thing is cursed so im rooting for a team that will always disappoints and thats not healthy.

Against a less mobile QB they would have had 6 or 7 sacks today...they were all over Mahomes in the pocket and het just kept escaping.  So many "almost" sacks against him today. So I don't agree that it was on the front 4 not generating pressure...they were on him heavy tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Huge parallels all year to the 1989 season. Team didn't understand how to take everyone's best shot each week after making it to the AFC Championship game the previous year...figured it out a little towards the end of the year...then the heartbreaking loss in the Divisional round...in '89 it was Harmon with the dropped pass in the end zone. Today it was 13 seconds...both inexcusable.

The good part is next year will be 1990 for us on that timeline and this time we need to finish it.

This is much worse…if we win this game, we have a clean path to a championship.  The ‘89 team wasn’t going to win a championship.

• Sad 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

That 89 team went 9-7.

If Patrick Mahomes wasn’t on the Chiefs, what’s their record?

well, they were 10-6 in 2017 with career backup Alex Smith as QB.  

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Against a less mobile QB they would have had 6 or 7 sacks today...they were all over Mahomes in the pocket and het just kept escaping.  So many "almost" sacks against him today. So I don't agree that it was on the front 4 not generating pressure...they were on him heavy tonight.

true they were around him, but I think I've seen this in other games.  You need to close the escape routes.  One way is sending a LB or DB late.  We did nothing.  You can't send 4 v. Mahomes and expect anything of consequence to happen.  

6 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Man I heard this story like in 2018. It's not the past, we're not the 90s teams, whatever happened in the past has ZERO to do with what this team does in the future. I like nostalgia more than the next guy but it's irrelevant. Jeez.

And on top of it, folks are "finding" parallels simply because they are looking for them! 

We could write 1,000 words discussing, in detail, how the 2 eras are completely different.

Lastly, "learning how to win" is bull#### that only fans talk of.  Luckily, that's not a real thing.

i agree. aside from allen and diggs zero impact players.  this is a losing team without him.  allen is marino.  a qb without a team.  carrying the team on his shoulders. a mediocre overrated defense that wilts in the big moments. we have to change this history of drafting middling talent.  we have no tyreek hill or kelce.  this team as a whole doesn't deserve to be mentioned with the 90s teams. they've fallen repeatedly in the big moments when its close.  josh has learned he has to be super human on a weekly basis and thats not sustainable.

2 minutes ago, larrym said:

i agree. aside from allen and diggs zero impact players.  this is a losing team without him.  allen is marino.  a qb without a team.  carrying the team on his shoulders. a mediocre overrated defense that wilts in the big moments. we have to change this history of drafting middling talent.  we have no tyreek hill or kelce.  this team as a whole doesn't deserve to be mentioned with the 90s teams. they've fallen repeatedly in the big moments when its close.  josh has learned he has to be super human on a weekly basis and thats not sustainable.

Gabe Davis raises his hand.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We went 9-7 with Tyrod Taylor lol.

So Andy Reid paid a back up QB $17 million a year?

yep, guess he did.  

We would not go 9-7 with TT this year.  

I think we just value Allen v. the other players differently.  that's fine.  

5 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Lol…  No way bean should be fired. Fire him and replace him with who? You have to look at entire body of work. Not just beans 1st rounders -josh. Literally the only other first rounders he’s drafted are Edmunds, Oliver and Rousseau. Far from busts. He’s done pretty well in free agency and also managing the cap. He’s hit pretty well on guys like Knox,  Davis, and a number of later round guys. D lineman usually take a few years to develop, so boogie and Greg could develop into much better assets. The work he did to get to #7 and grab Allen alone was a masterpiece. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Playoffs? said:

Yep. I mean he wasn’t even selected to the Pro Bowl. That’s a crime!

forgot about that.  What a freaking joke.  

Just now, BuffaloNuts said:

Lol…  No way bean should be fired. Fire him and replace him with who? You have to look at entire body of work. Not just beans 1st rounders -josh. Literally the only other first rounders he’s drafted are Edmunds, Oliver and Rousseau. Far from busts. He’s done pretty well in free agency and also managing the cap. He’s hit pretty well on guys like Knox,  Davis, and a number of later round guys. D lineman usually take a few years to develop, so boogie and Greg could develop into much better assets. The work he did to get to #7 and grab Allen alone was a masterpiece. 

Bean has been fine in FA, you're right.  But Oliver at 9 is a bust, you need an immediate impact guy at 9.  Knox was a good pick, he seems to be better in later rounds.  This year he took Groot and Boogie, while our "rival" snatched up an all pro OL and great LB.  Said LB made plays today, Groot was invisible.  He reaches in the first rounds of the draft.  

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

yep, guess he did.  

We would not go 9-7 with TT this year.  

I think we just value Allen v. the other players differently.  that's fine.  

No its just your logic is absolutely terrible.

Why could TT get to 9 wins with the 2017 roster but not this 2021 roster? Really the only answer you can give is you think the 2017 roster was better.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

forgot about that.  What a freaking joke.  

Bean has been fine in FA, you're right.  But Oliver at 9 is a bust, you need an immediate impact guy at 9.  Knox was a good pick, he seems to be better in later rounds.  This year he took Groot and Boogie, while our "rival" snatched up an all pro OL and great LB.  Said LB made plays today, Groot was invisible.  He reaches in the first rounds of the draft.  

Oliver was far from a reach at 9. A lot of experts didn’t think he’d fall that low. He’s sure as hell not a bust and he’s still young. Groot isn’t the best, but getting a day one starter @pick 16. He may not be a hall of famer, but he might have found one 9 picks earlier. Hard to say Oliver or Edmunds we’re reached in those drafts. Then last year Rousseau at 30? Not sure what you’re expecting at 30, but he’s been a hell of a contributor as a rookie.  No GMs hit on all their picks. Especially not middle to late 1st rounders. Bean isn’t the problem. Work to be done, but hardly need to blow it all up. That’s what firing a GM does. Bean and McDermott have a pretty damn good working relationship. They’ve gotten us to this point and the future is bright.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloNuts said:

Oliver was far from a reach at 9. A lot of experts didn’t think he’d fall that low. He’s sure as hell not a bust and he’s still young. Groot isn’t the best, but getting a day one starter @pick 16. He may not be a hall of famer, but he might have found one 9 picks earlier. Hard to say Oliver or Edmunds we’re reached in those drafts. Then last year Rousseau at 30? Not sure what you’re expecting at 30, but he’s been a hell of a contributor as a rookie.  No GMs hit on all their picks. Especially not middle to late 1st rounders. Bean isn’t the problem. Work to be done, but hardly need to blow it all up. That’s what firing a GM does. Bean and McDermott have a pretty damn good working relationship. They’ve gotten us to this point and the future is bright.

I have to respectuflly disagree, wrt Bean's early picks.  Oliver was picked at 9, you need an instant impact player, not developmental.  Ed dropped from 1st overall in most mocks to 9, there was a reason, he was a developmental player.  Brian Burns would have been a better pick, or Jeff Simmons.  Later in the 1st round that year, Bean picked Cody Ford, passing on Elgton Jenkins. Edmunds was a total reach, given that we could have not traded up and taken Vander Esch or Darius Leonard.  Groot and Boogie (inactive most of the year) were not a BPA, Barmore would have been more impactful, esp. given the need for run stopping on our D, or Freiermuth at TE with Knox; or Nick Bolton, who played well against us again today; or Creed Humphry.  Bean has missed an AWFUL LOT in the 1st 2 rounds.  I wouldn't blow the whole thing up, but Bean needs to add talent to the front 7.  We are in win-now mode, do what hockey teams often do, trade 1st rounders for proven vets.  We don't have developmental time.  We have like a 5-10 year window.  

5 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

In post game on ESPN Kelce stated that on the play with 9 seconds left he stated to Mahomes in the huddle that the Bills were leaving the middle "wide open", and he thought he could get "significant yards" on a straight seam route... Just what they did.    

yep, was open all game.  Never solved by Frazier or our great MLB Edmunds.  

16 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

We are going to be relevant for a long time. That’s something.

that's something, but also nothing.  

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No its just your logic is absolutely terrible.

Why could TT get to 9 wins with the 2017 roster but not this 2021 roster? Really the only answer you can give is you think the 2017 roster was better.

dude, relax man.  we are arguing about 1 win here.  I think we had a harder schedule this year.  We don't beat KC the first time w/o Allen, or the Pats in the regular season at all, and the Panthers and Falcons games become awfully close.  Heck, the Jets game at the end of the year.  

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

dude, relax man.  we are arguing about 1 win here.  I think we had a harder schedule this year.  We don't beat KC the first time w/o Allen, or the Pats in the regular season at all, and the Panthers and Falcons games become awfully close.  Heck, the Jets game at the end of the year.  

I’m not arguing about 1 win.  

Of course we don’t beat KC without Allen just like KC doesn’t beat us without Mahomes.  What kind of logic are you using?  “Take Allen off this team and we aren’t as good.”  No crap, that’s why are paying him $258 million and KC is paying Mahomes $500 million.

34 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I have to respectuflly disagree, wrt Bean's early picks.  Oliver was picked at 9, you need an instant impact player, not developmental.  Ed dropped from 1st overall in most mocks to 9, there was a reason, he was a developmental player.  Brian Burns would have been a better pick, or Jeff Simmons.  Later in the 1st round that year, Bean picked Cody Ford, passing on Elgton Jenkins. Edmunds was a total reach, given that we could have not traded up and taken Vander Esch or Darius Leonard.  Groot and Boogie (inactive most of the year) were not a BPA, Barmore would have been more impactful, esp. given the need for run stopping on our D, or Freiermuth at TE with Knox; or Nick Bolton, who played well against us again today; or Creed Humphry.  Bean has missed an AWFUL LOT in the 1st 2 rounds.  I wouldn't blow the whole thing up, but Bean needs to add talent to the front 7.  We are in win-now mode, do what hockey teams often do, trade 1st rounders for proven vets.  We don't have developmental time.  We have like a 5-10 year window.  

yep, was open all game.  Never solved by Frazier or our great MLB Edmunds.  

that's something, but also nothing.  

Bro, some picks at 9 are out of the league in 3 years.  Let's not act like every player picked at 9 is a HOF player. Give me a break.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.