Jump to content

Texans getting closer to hiring Josh McCown as Head Coach


Albany,n.y.
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

For an organization that isn’t a dumpster fire, this might be looked at as an outside-of-the-box intriguing hire.  For the Texans, it just looks like nobody else wants the job.  

 

Still makes no sense they rushed to dump Culley unless they had a specific person in mind to replace him with. If it was Flores or someone else obviously they already said no thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it goes down, Flores shouldn’t need any other proof than this for his lawsuit. No way in the world you can tell me this guy with zero coaching credentials is the best guy for the job. The only problem is that the Texans have become a joke of a franchise and the strongest candidates don’t seem to be remotely interested, so he may actually be the best remaining guy for the job. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

If it goes down, Flores shouldn’t need any other proof than this for his lawsuit. No way in the world you can tell me this guy with zero coaching credentials is the best guy for the job. The only problem is that the Texans have become a joke of a franchise and the strongest candidates don’t seem to be remotely interested, so he may actually be the best remaining guy for the job. 

 

The best thing for the Texans is what might be coming for the Dols and Browns: forcing the owner to sell the team.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Texans never known for reading a room well...

 

 

 

 

Now it is making sense.  They are looking for a coach to fire after one season just as they fired a GM after one season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

No Byron Leftwich or Eric Bienemy but Josh mcCown gets the job?

 

And they fired Culley after 1 year, doing far better than anyone thought they would.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's like the Texans really want to hire McCown but they're scared. 

 

Either it works and you're geniuses or it doesn't and you look like fools. Who cares what anyone says right now? 

 

Pray about it a bit. 

 

So, what you’re saying is, either it works and you look like geniuses, or nothing changes. 🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Texans never known for reading a room well...

 

 

 

 

So according to that article, the Texans three finalists include "former Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores and Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon."

 

Hiring a guy with no NFL coaching experience over Flores and Gannon would NOT be a good look for the hiring processes of NFL teams
 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

So according to that article, the Texans three finalists include "former Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores and Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon."

 

Hiring a guy with no NFL coaching experience over Flores and Gannon would NOT be a good look for the hiring processes of NFL teams

 

 

Couldn't look much worse than what's being reported in Minnesota. If O'Connell is indeed the guy (36, no HC experience, been a coach for 5 seasons) picked over Patrick Graham (well reguarded coach, almost 20 years experience) and Raheem Morris (HC experience. Ended badly however has done an excellent job since and has rebuilt his image) the NFL should brace for a sizable backlash IMO.

 

This isn't to say that O'Connell is going to be bad. But the optics the day after the Floresgate dropped isn't good.

  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Couldn't look much worse than what's being reported in Minnesota. If O'Connell is indeed the guy (36, no HC experience, been a coach for 5 seasons) picked over Patrick Graham (well reguarded coach, almost 20 years experience) and Raheem Morris (HC experience. Ended badly however has done an excellent job since and has rebuilt his image) the NFL should brace for a sizable backlash IMO.

 

This isn't to say that O'Connell is going to be bad. But the optics the day after the Floresgate dropped isn't good.

 

 

I think it's way worse.  Yes, O'Connell has worked himself up the ranks relatively quickly, but he's been a position coach and has been an OC for 3 years for 2 different teams, and is about to take his team to the Superbowl.  

 

It's been an overall trend to hire "hot" young coaches from the Offensive side of the ball, over far more experienced Defensive guys:

McVay was hired with 3 years as OC and 3 years as a position coach, and went to the Superbowl his first year.

Zac Taylor was hired with 2 years as OC (one for the Dolphins and one for a college) and 5 or 6 years overall NFL experience and hey, Watch This.

 

It's hard to argue it's inappropriate when it's a pattern that has had demonstrated success, and the position coaches for championship teams are typically a hot commodity.

 

McCown has NO coaching experience.  None.  Zilch. Zippo.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TheProcess said:

If it goes down, Flores shouldn’t need any other proof than this for his lawsuit. No way in the world you can tell me this guy with zero coaching credentials is the best guy for the job. The only problem is that the Texans have become a joke of a franchise and the strongest candidates don’t seem to be remotely interested, so he may actually be the best remaining guy for the job. 

 

did Flores apply for Texans job? 

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

So according to that article, the Texans three finalists include "former Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores and Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon."

 

Hiring a guy with no NFL coaching experience over Flores and Gannon would NOT be a good look for the hiring processes of NFL teams
 

 

 

 

that’s a far left journalist there.  

 

Did Flores actually apply for the job?   Seems like everyone is preemptively freaking out when there hasn’t been an announcement yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...