Here's an idea: Can McKenzie play corner?

D521646

16 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Not a crazy idea but, I was thinking today how to minimize Hill with only using one guy, and I was thinking the fastest guy we have is McKenzie, and he has great hands.  If McKenzie could be taught to play corner in one week, seems Mahomes always throws to Hill when he is wide open, but when covered, or closely shadowed, he tends to look at other reads, and comes off Hill quickly, which if you watch the tape, trends into a hasty throw or scramble by the Chiefs signal caller.

I know some will laugh at this as McK is showing great promise on offense, but for one game, is the idea that terrible?

Thoughts?

tim-

OMG.  I think Cam Lewis is a better option.  Especially with McKenzie being used at WR/KR/PR

15 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Not a crazy idea but, I was thinking today how to minimize Hill with only using one guy, and I was thinking the fastest guy we have is McKenzie, and he has great hands.  If McKenzie could be taught to play corner in one week, seems Mahomes always throws to Hill when he is wide open, but when covered, or closely shadowed, he tends to look at other reads, and comes off Hill quickly, which if you watch the tape, trends into a hasty throw or scramble by the Chiefs signal caller.

I know some will laugh at this as McK is showing great promise on offense, but for one game, is the idea that terrible?

Thoughts?

tim-

McK is quick. Hill has All World speed. In a race down the field Hill would blow his doors off.

Also, McK being NOT a CB is likely to bite on double moves easily especially against a polished duo like Mahomes and Hill. It would be expolited over and over. 

9 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Thoughts?

tim-

Lol, you 100% set yourself up for that one bro... I thought this was one of those joke threads or whatever at first. But after reading it sounds serious. 

Lol, lets put 5ft6 McK at CB for this game only....

21 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Thoughts?

tim-

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Thoughts?

tim-

Are you asking for a guy to learn CB in 1-week to be matched with possibly the most elusive WR in NFL History?

With the season on the line?

Just checking...

Edited by Kaenon

5 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Are you asking for a guy to learn CB in 1-week to be matched with possibly the most elusive WR in NFL History?

Just checking...

Lol, Yes....that's exactly what OP was suggesting. A little piece of me still wants to believe he posted this as a joke with a good poker face

24 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Well, I do remember the drought years quite well in fact, however, if the idea is that bad, please elaborate, or not, your choice.

Tim-

Johnson isn't as fast as McKenzie, but yeah, he is vastly more experienced, so there's that!

tim-

Remember the drought years, but totally whiffed on the George Wilson joke? 

31 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Thoughts?

tim-

But you sort of answer your own question. It is an absolutely crazy idea that Isaiah McKenzie can learn to play CB at a high enough level to cover one of the most dangerous WR's in the league in just one week. The next major issue is going to be size. Unless McKenzie can become good enough to live on an Island with Hill in the next 5 days, he is a liability at a very small 5'8".

Have there been really successful 5'8" CB's? Maybe, I cannot name one. But none of them switched to CB mid-season, let alone mid-week in the playoffs to cover one of the better talents in the league. It could totally happen I guess if McKenzie were a totally different human though....

9 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Just checking...

Its pretty easy.  Darelle Revis learned how to play CB while on the bus from Pittsburgh to New York the day before the NFL draft.  He went in the first round, was a 4x all pro and a super bowl champion.

35 minutes ago, Mango said:

Some people just can't let the drought years go. 

"I am ready, put me in coach" - George Wilson right now, probably

That's the name I was thinking of.

He proved it can work and it could work 2-3 years from now. I wouldn't try it this week though. So far scheme and 2 amazing safeties has kept us from being exposed at CB with us not having Tre. If we get through this game, I'll rest easy the rest of the way

47 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Thoughts?

tim-

happy make it rain GIF by Capital One

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, damj said:

That's the name I was thinking of.

He proved it can work and it could work 2-3 years from now. I wouldn't try it this week though. So far scheme and 2 amazing safeties has kept us from being exposed at CB with us not having Tre. If we get through this game, I'll rest easy the rest of the way

The ask from OP though isn't for George Wilson to play SS. It is for Isaiah McKenzie to cover in man to man against Tyreek Hill. The time it would take for Isaiah to become a starting man to man corner is significant, and would require him to bail entirely on being a WR. Let alone be that guy in a week. 

George Wilson was also 6' 214lbs.

I believe for last years Ravens game it was reported that IM was playing Lamar Jackson on the scout team to help get them up to speed. The Bills using IM like Hill on game day and in practice is most certainly his best use. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.