most underrated move by Beane during his time here

dave mcbride

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

tell ya what. 

he better do a lot of dealing to keep ANY departing Players from going to NE****

There’s probably going to be a lot of offensive changes next season whether Daboll stays or not so I’m not sure how much of an issue that will be…of course that hinges on us being able to draft a few guys that can actually run block lol

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

dumb question,  but remind me why this led to us getting Allen? 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/6/18/22533745/looking-back-at-the-trades-that-landed-josh-allen-for-the-buffalo-bills-notes-nfl-draft

To summarize the link above, the Bills basically started out with the 21st (our pick) and the 22nd (KC pick from the trade back in 2016) picks in the 2017 draft. Beane traded the 22nd pick and Cordy Glenn for the 12th pick (swap of late rounders as well). Then on draft day, Bean traded the 12th, 53rd, and 56th picks to Tampa for the 7th and 255th picks, landing Josh Allen at #7 overall. 

Here's what happened to Cincy's side of the trade as well...yikes: "Meanwhile, the Bengals drafted Ohio State center Billy Price with the 21st overall pick. This trade ended up being a major mistake for Cincinnati. Price started 19 of 42 games in his first three years, had lost his starting job entirely by 2020, and had his fifth-year option declined by the team this offseason. Glenn played in 19 games over the next two seasons, ran into arguments with the coaching staff, and was released after 2019."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I gotta go with flipping Cordy Glenn and the #22 pick for Cincy's #12 pick before the 2018 draft. That was highway robbery and the single most important reason they were able to get Allen.

It was a curious trade from Cinci's perspective,  that is for sure.  

But they still had plenty of ammo to get Allen.

And there was a degree of luck involved in that subsequently horrible 2018 OL not getting the rookie QB killed.

Allen might be the biggest play maker in the NFL.............the assets they saved(and then some) turned into maybe the guy who leads the league in "plays below expectation" in Tremaine Edmunds.

Trading Sammy and Darby for picks and chaff. That was the point where I figured he was either a serious man committed to a plan or just plain stupid. Super gutsy. Honorable mention: the mid-season trade of Darius, same reason.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I’ll go with a topical one.

How about NOT giving Shaq Lawson or Jordan Phillips huge deals after they had good seasons for the Bills?

Shaq got a huge contract, then did nothing. Same with Phillips. Beane saw that coming when a lot of posters on this site were calling for his head for not re-signing those two.

Another nice example to go with the Cordy Glenn fleecing. 

I'll give honorable mention to the Mario Addison acquisition. Not a world-beater, but consistently better than a lot of people want to acknowledge, a stable vet presence and consummate professional, and he just had a very solid season. As the signing/player has been smack-talked a fair amount by the fans, I guess you could call it an underrated move. 

6 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I wish I could visit the alternate universe where we have someone other than edmunds starting at mlb in mcdermotts scheme lol it’s a darned near impossible position to play…he asks so much of his linebackers so that he has more options to disguise coverages with dbs

and people seem to forget HE’S still a KID!!!

and he is the QB of the Defense 

30 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I gotta go with flipping Cordy Glenn and the #22 pick for Cincy's #12 pick before the 2018 draft. That was highway robbery and the single most important reason they were able to get Allen.

Great point.

Is there any explanation what was reasoning on Bengals part?

2 minutes ago, mbs said:

Trading Sammy and Darby for picks and chaff. That was the point where I figured he was either a serious man committed to a plan or just plain stupid. Super gutsy. Honorable mention: the mid-season trade of Darius, same reason.

Funny looking back on that…all the armchair GMs in the media said we were tanking and we ended up making the playoffs lol

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Great point.

Is there any explanation what was reasoning on Bengals part?

My recollection was that they basically regarded themselves as a playoff caliber team with major o-line needs. They went to the playoffs every year from 2011-2015 and went 12-4 in 2015. They hovered around at just below .500 in 2016 and 2017 and attributed much of the decline to o-line failings. They were desperate. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Funny looking back on that…all the armchair GMs in the media said we were tanking and we ended up making the playoffs lol

Man, I remember the exact moment I heard about that trade.  I was flabbergasted.

I had no idea at the time.  The man knows what he's doing.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It was a curious trade from Cinci's perspective,  that is for sure.  

But they still had plenty of ammo to get Allen.

And there was a degree of luck involved in that subsequently horrible 2018 OL not getting the rookie QB killed.

Allen might be the biggest play maker in the NFL.............the assets they saved(and then some) turned into maybe the guy who leads the league in "plays below expectation" in Tremaine Edmunds.

Both Miami and AZ would have taken Allen. Gase LOVED Allen and thought he was generational player (he was right about that). AZ loved him too but had to settle for Rosen. Without that 12th pick, the Bills wouldn't have had the high-end ammo.

Edited by dave mcbride

36 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not sure if I'd call it underrated, but was a great trade to position themselves as best as possible since they were going QB. I'm just glad they went Allen instead "wrong Josh"

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I was actually standing on a railway platform the other day and for some reason thinking about absolutely this. I liked Cordy Glenn, at his peak in Buffalo he was a top 10 left tackle, but he was coming off a season where he had hardly played, with a known about long term health condition and Beane got basically 2nd round value for him in that move up. Crazy. 

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I was actually standing on a railway platform the other day and for some reason thinking about absolutely this. I liked Cordy Glenn, at his peak in Buffalo he was a top 10 left tackle, but he was coming off a season where he had hardly played, with a known about long term health condition and Beane got basically 2nd round value for him in that move up. Crazy. 

I'd simply add moving up 10 in the first round to the top half is way more valuable in a rich QB draft than a straight-up second round pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.